• June 03, 2024, 08:13:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Understanding the Motion Detection configuration  (Read 3263 times)

Acumen

• Level 2 Member
Understanding the Motion Detection configuration
« on: July 24, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »

Since I believe the dLink Manual is very poor, I started to experiment a little trying to understand what I was doing. I first created this excel sheet.

By "copying" the motion detection area, I can calculate what the 98% sensitivity actually means. I already red somewhere that it's actually 2% motion that will trigger when you enter 98% sensitivity. Since the manual does not tell you anything usefull, I assumed that it is 2% of the motion detection area and not of the whole viewing area.

What I don't know is if:
  • it needs (in this example) 7 detection changed at the same time (so the 'object' needs the size of at least 7 detection points)
-or-
  • it triggers when 7 detection points are changed without interuption or within a certain time (for example by an object with the size of 2 detection points)

The dots at the lines 18, 15 and 12 are set to fit a car in between. In my experiment, motion is not detected on a passing car, since not al 7 dots are hit. When I add three extra dots at column 18, motion will be detected on a passing car. That should mean that it workes like described in bullet 1.

However, I also had a big fly or something trigger the motion detection at the below area (before I added the experimental detection points).

So since dLink does not explain the behavior in its manual, I hope to answer the question (with your help) in this topic and maybe it could become a FAQ topic ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:41:29 PM by Acumen »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Understanding the Motion Detection configuration
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »

Great work.

I was always confused with DLINK's example in the right hand side, which proves they don't know. (At least on 2132l, 2230, and maybe the original 5222L firmware).. One or 2 of them uses 50% as an example. Total cop-out.

the 1.01 f/w on 5222L says "Sensitivity - Set the sensitivity of camera to trigger motion detection. High sensitivity makes the motions easier to be detected."

mikenicholson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »

Are you seeing different behavior for motion capture between day and night mode.  If I get it working for day light it goes crazy at night.  If I get it working at night, it takes no pictures during daylight.  Other than of course the annoying dusk transition from one to the other.

mherbold

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »

This is because the video image has a lot of noise at night time, and much less noise during the daytime.  :-\

What really needs to happen is the ability to set different sensitivity levels for day and night modes for motion detection.  :-(