• June 04, 2024, 03:06:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Add a new drive and copy files from one drive to the other  (Read 3155 times)

sinalpha

• Level 1 Member
Add a new drive and copy files from one drive to the other
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »

Hello everyone,

I have bought a new (larger) drive and want to replace the current one. I will remove my current drive after having copied the whole content to the new one.

I guess I can just plug in the new drive and let the NAS format it and then copy the files from one drive to the other... is this right?

How can I copy all the content of one drive into the other? I guess there are several ways, so ideally I am looking for the smartest/fastest one (in particular without making all the data transit through the LAN).

Then, can I just remove the first drive from the NAS and continue working with the new one?

Also, is there any issue with the fun_plug configuration and annexed? I am going to copy all the configuration files I have put on my current drive, but who knows...

Thank you in advance!

Andrea

albert

• Level 5 Member
    • SoHo NAS Forum
Re: Add a new drive and copy files from one drive to the other
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 09:15:01 AM »

If you're unfamiliar with Linux/Unix command then using the NAS Web File Server would be the next fastest method.

Once you're done with the copying, the current drive can be removed and replaced with the new one.

FFP and whatever additional package installed will be treated as just any normal files/folders and be copied across without issue.
D-Link DNS-320 rev A1 (FW: 2.05) [FFP-0.7]
PCI NAS-01G (FW: Encore ENNHD-1000 4.10)
PCI NAS-01G (FW: OpenNAS 1.9]

sinalpha

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 03:52:42 AM »

Thank you for the answer, I'll proceed this way for the copy!

In order to make the DNS-320 recognise and format the new drive, shall I just plug the new drive into the left slot (my drive is currently in the right slot)? And then? Will I have the option to just format the newly installed drive in the Disk Management utility?

I found several threads on this, but no clear answers...

Cheers,
Andrea

albert

• Level 5 Member
    • SoHo NAS Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 02:29:58 AM »

Yes, the NAS will recognize the new drive and prompt to setup. If you really want to be on the safe side, remove existing drive first and insert the new one into the left slot.

FYI, in order for FFP to work, it must be on the right slot for it to work by default.
D-Link DNS-320 rev A1 (FW: 2.05) [FFP-0.7]
PCI NAS-01G (FW: Encore ENNHD-1000 4.10)
PCI NAS-01G (FW: OpenNAS 1.9]

sinalpha

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 05:09:18 AM »

Thanks for the answer again!

I formatted the new drive and copied the files, everything seems having gone fine. I had to unplug the drive in the right bay though, otherwise the NAS would not format the drive, getting stuck for hours at 0%.

I now just need to unplug the old drive and see if fun_plug & co. work straight away.

Cheers,
Andrea