• June 06, 2024, 05:27:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Extend my wireless range via wire  (Read 5325 times)

jgrove

• Level 1 Member
Extend my wireless range via wire
« on: May 05, 2009, 01:08:54 AM »

Hope this makes some sense, i have a DIR-655 in my office connect to my cable modem. I use both the wired and wireless ports on this.

I need to further my wireless and wired coverage to other parts of the building, i have run a cable from one of the ports on the back of the DIR-655 to another room which is where i need more wired and wireless coverage.

Is there a product that will do this? Will the DAP-1522 work?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

anon

• Level 3 Member
Re: Extend my wireless range via wire
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:16:06 AM »

Yes it can.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=663

KGB7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 01:54:03 PM »

Or you can use another DIR655 for the same price and more features.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »

I don't think there are any features that you keep if you hook it up as an AP.  That said an argument can always be made.
non progredi est regredi

KGB7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 03:11:12 PM »

You might not keep ALL features, but if you were to use it as a Router on its own later on, it will be more useful then a stand alone AP.

jgrove

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:06:54 AM »

Thanks for all your comments, the DIR-655 and DAP-1522 and 1353 are pounds 100 UK Pounds, so by comparison they are expensive.

While i know this is a D-Link forum i thought i would share what i have done.

My DIR-655 is in my office, its has wired and wireless connections, a wire from this router goes around my house to my living room, where i wanted the new connections to be available. I went to a local store (Argos) and bought a Buffalo WHR-G300N Access Point and Bridge for 38 UK Pounds. It was a long shot as i didnt think it would work. After setting the Buffalo's IP to the same as the existing network and providing it with the gateway ip (DIR-655) is was up and running.

Now i haven't extended my wireless range, just created a new wireless access point, so i have 2 wireless points in my house with different SSID's. The good thing about this is that i can also use the wired ports on the back of the Buffalo unit as well.

Many thanks for your help and comments, hope my information is helpful to someone,

Cheers