• September 19, 2020, 06:34:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Question about DGL 4500  (Read 2970 times)

mjp1531

• Level 1 Member
Question about DGL 4500
« on: April 01, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »

Hi, I have had the DGL for quite some time now and have loved it almost every second. We moved to what we thought would be a temporary home about 4 months ago, changed internet providers to CenturyLink (only option here) and was given a Westell 7500 modem/router to use. Since we were supposedly not staying here long, I decided to put the DGL in the closet and forgot about it until a few days ago. My son has been complaining that the wireless signal in his room is kind of weak. I moved the Westell closer to him but started  thinking about the DGL I have. Would we get better PC/xbox/ps3 game connections if I were to go back to the DGL? When I first got CenturyLink installed, the guy told me that I could bridge the Westell if I wanted to and use my own router. Well now I am wondering if I should do this. If so, would anyone know the actual step by step instructions to make it work? Will I get more 'power' that way? I do a lot of downloading, I'm currently taking 15 credits in an online school, I regularly play xbox live (wired), my son has a wireless ps3/xbox/laptop/iPad that he uses all throughout our house, and we also have a wireless xbox in the living room. I use my laptop for everything so I wouldn't have time to spend days trying to get this to work. Maybe just a solid day on the weekend when I get a break from school. I just wanted to get some suggestions from you guys to see what my next step should be. I have the Westell in my room which is centrally located in the house. My son's room is right next door to me but he doesn't get as much of a signal. Should I fool with the setup or just have him deal with the lack of signal?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Question about DGL 4500
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:33:18 AM »

Yes, ISP model HW is not desigend as well as external Router HW.

It's preferred to always bridge ISP modems if possible when using external routers.

Yes, the DGL-4500 is better suited for general internet and gaming.

Review the following for Game Fuel setup:
DGL-4500 Gaming and Gamefuel for XBL

Gaming and QoS for PlayStation

Let us know how it goes for you.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

mjp1531

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »

Thanks :) I'll read up on everything and see how it goes. I don't know how to actually set up the bridge. Would there be a tutorial for everything I need to do?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:16:39 PM by mjp1531 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:22:57 PM »

I believe if you do a search on the web or on DSLReports.com, you should be able to find info on that modem model.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!