• June 03, 2024, 03:37:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Freezing router?  (Read 195810 times)

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
Re: Freezing router?
« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2009, 07:04:23 AM »

Your theories are unsubstantiated and sound more like guessing.

If you are setting a new rule that only people with answers are allowed to answer your questions...well, bad luck for you, that's not the way it works in this world. And you don't want to be called a troll surely?

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2009, 08:01:30 AM »

So you can't answer the question either? No theory, best guess or attempted scrying.
Maybe you can tell me how to block you and Mackdaddy.
From your other answers, here and other topics, you seem to not have a solution for anything. John Lennon said you are either part of the solution or part of the problem.
I don't want to waste my precious time reading blah/blah/blah posts by part of the problem.
Unlike you I'm here for answers regarding a product I spent hard earned money for.

I gave you guess based on the evidence.  Their fix for DNS relay that they introduced in 1.22B05 (the first firmware where people had this problem) was bad and its causing this freezing issue.  What else do I need to guess?  What would be the point of being going any further than this?  I am a software engineer and thats the best guess I am willing to make without actually looking at the code, its a regression.

What you are doing is like if I told you I had a stuffy nose and I am sneezing, and then you went on webmd.com and started telling me all these illnesses that I might have, when you have no qualification to make those statements.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #212 on: June 13, 2009, 09:05:04 AM »

I gave you guess based on the evidence.  Their fix for DNS relay that they introduced in 1.22B05 (the first firmware where people had this problem) was bad and its causing this freezing issue.  What else do I need to guess?  What would be the point of being going any further than this?  I am a software engineer and thats the best guess I am willing to make without actually looking at the code, its a regression.

What you are doing is like if I told you I had a stuffy nose and I am sneezing, and then you went on webmd.com and started telling me all these illnesses that I might have, when you have no qualification to make those statements.

kudos

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2009, 10:31:43 AM »

If DNS relay is causing your router to lock up and require a reboot, then you should seek a replacement asap. If you've already had a replacement for that same issue, let the technician know that and they will get you a brand new one and test it for you.

If you receive a brandnew replacement that claims to be tested and it continues this behavior let me know and I'll personally address the situation.

Please refrain from antagonistic behavior and "trolling". These forums are here for you to receive help and share information with the comunity. They are here for everyone to use respectfully.

-Lycan.

Also there is NO DNS caching being done by the router. The unit only has 16MB of ram and thats 100% used by statetable/configurations.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2009, 10:42:52 AM »

If DNS relay is causing your router to lock up and require a reboot, then you should seek a replacement asap. If you've already had a replacement for that same issue, let the technician know that and they will get you a brand new one and test it for you.

If you receive a brandnew replacement that claims to be tested and it continues this behavior let me know and I'll personally address the situation.

Please refrain from antagonistic behavior and "trolling". These forums are here for you to receive help and share information with the comunity. They are here for everyone to use respectfully.

-Lycan.

Also there is NO DNS caching being done by the router. The unit only has 16MB of ram and thats 100% used by statetable/configurations.

So Lycan, is that D-Link's official response, that this is hardware related?  It isn't related to the fix introduced for DNS relay that first appeared in 1.22B05 where this issue was first encountered?  Not to mention this problem is happening with the 825 in 1.10 also?

I already have a new outer in the 825 (haven't upgraded past 1.01).  What about people that had this issue caused by 1.31 but are past the 1 year mark for a warranty?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »

The issue is this isn't a firmware problem globally, for some reason it only effects a small percentage of routers. I'm not trying in anyway to discount your issues. Trust me if I had the answer I'd gladly give it, but I don't. We're unable to reproduce the failing, and the units that we get back here don't exhibit the issue once they're tested in our labs.

The 655 is sold more then any other N router from D-Link.  If this was a global issue we'd be seeing a lot more of this.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2009, 01:21:54 PM »

The issue is this isn't a firmware problem globally, for some reason it only effects a small percentage of routers. I'm not trying in anyway to discount your issues. Trust me if I had the answer I'd gladly give it, but I don't. We're unable to reproduce the failing, and the units that we get back here don't exhibit the issue once they're tested in our labs.

The 655 is sold more then any other N router from D-Link.  If this was a global issue we'd be seeing a lot more of this.

I am not discounting that it could be a local issue, although I don't think that means it isn't firmware related.  It just seems that there are too many coincidences here to not be firmware related.  Considering this didn't happen in earlier firmwares (I ran a long long long time without freezes on 1.11 and 1.21, but had the DNS slowdown issue with 1.21), it also happens on the 825 with firmware 1.11, this was introduced in firmware that "fixed" issues with the very feature that is now causing crashes, etc.

Trust me, I understand where you are coming from, I have worked on some cases before where  I wasn't able to reproduce something but was able to come to a solution via methods I don't think translate over to a router.  And as I mentioned, I already have a 825 running 1.01 as my main router with no issues (no Freezes!) so I am more looking out for other users that don't feel like plunking down the money.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2009, 01:31:47 PM »

There are some people that want you to take a polygraph test for that  ;)

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2009, 08:44:18 PM »

So which is it hardware or firmware and which are affected the most A1/A2 or A3/A4?

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #219 on: June 15, 2009, 08:57:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure your statement should be rephrased.  You make it seem like it's a small problem that only effects a small number of people.

Dlink only knows about the problem from people reporting it. So really, it's not that the problem only affects a small  number of devices, but only a small  number of people have reported it

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »

-Lycan.

Well there is the issue of Dlink customers upgrading their firmware to take full advantage of what Dlink products have to offer only to have problems with the chipset or firmware of the router not working correctly.

What now, are the customers just hung out to dry?

I really like the Dir 655 and Dlink in general and I not looking for something for nothing but I never had any issue til I upgraded past fw1.11 and since I can't go back I feel I along with others got a raw deal.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »

I'm pretty sure your statement should be rephrased.  You make it seem like it's a small problem that only effects a small number of people.

Dlink only knows about the problem from people reporting it. So really, it's not that the problem only affects a small  number of devices, but only a small  number of people have reported it
I think your right, a small number of people come here to try to find the ansewer. LoL...customer service @ ISP's I'm sure have been getting hammered with questions.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:15:48 PM by jason1722x »

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2009, 06:14:33 AM »

From a argumentative point of view that's not completely valid and factual. If you believe it's a fundamental issue (which from Lycan's words and experience with RMA'd devices it apparently isn't) you assume that there a tons of people who do not reported a seriously malfunctioning device. That sounds more like wishful thinking. The forum is not the only source (it's just the least reliable source IMHO): retailers get all the RMA requests which do not go through the forum but directly to Dlink labs. And if you participate on a forum: there's only questions and issues/problems on these boards, nobody goes to a forum to praise a product they just bought.

Your starting point is that there really is a serious issue but the numbers don't add up to that. It's like believing in extraterrestrial live. There are there but we just haven't seen them yet  ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:17:58 AM by Demonized »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2009, 08:39:06 AM »

Lets say D-link sells 100000, units a year. Then take that an times it by the products lifetime of 2+ years.

Now look at the volume of failures that are specific to this ( not including hardware failure or misuse that results in a replacement that corrects the issue) and I can assure you that it's >1%.

Again, I'm not trying to in anyway discount the failures you guys are having, I'm simply trying to help everyone keep this in perspective.

We are working to correct this as quickly as possible.
 Forums and Customer Service is where people go when there are problems with their products, this can make the issue seem much worse then it actaully is on a global scale.

Just a little FYI.

That being said, I'm working with the PM team to resolve any issues with this unit esp. the ones with shareport.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2009, 08:53:35 AM »

Well I think a more accurate projection would be tallying up all the units dlink has sold. of all the reivisions.

subtract the h/w a1 units

of the remaining unites, take seventy percent or so away due to the fact that its likely that number doesn't bother upgrading their routers firmware because they have no knowledge and are too timid to do so because they dont' want something to go wrong.  The remaining 30 percent, than is a more accurate plausability than your less than one percent. :P  This is why playing percentages is always shady.

Out of that 30 percent, then have upgraded their routers to 1.2+ ? Now you can summerize that it is indeed firmware related.

I can atess to that since I never encountered this problem before upgrading the f/w. As well never reported it until when I did because I didn't catch on to the trend and thought it was just someone torrenting.

However, i'm still tryign to find something in common with this 4/5 day router freeze
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21