• June 03, 2024, 04:16:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Freezing router?  (Read 195813 times)

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
Re: Freezing router?
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2009, 06:28:26 AM »

Its strange that disabling "DNS relay" isn't working for you guys.  I haven't had a freeze in a while.  I am still having issues where my connection seems to stop for a couple seconds, but no freezes.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2009, 08:17:02 AM »

Some Linksys routers had a similar issue. The NAT table would hold dead links for something like five hours. DDWRT allowed you to change the release time. Setting it for 90 seconds fixed the freeze problem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_serieshttp://www.ben.geek.nz/linksys-wrt54gl-router/A quick GOOGLE for DDWRT and NAT tables brings up things like this
http://www.overclock.net/networking-security/370371-router-nat-table.htmlhttp://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20073419-Small-NAT-table-a-thing-of-the-pasthttp://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r22361134-Will-Tomato-DDWRT-really-increase-speed-for-15-Mbps-lineThe last quote suggests a slow CPU may be causing the freeze.
Disabling DHT may help.
The problem is files with large seeds/peers. Those seem to cause a freeze for me.

Lycan: your thoughts on this post?

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2009, 09:57:44 AM »

@lizzi555: As stated in the post, I have the options disabled for a long time. I only enable it when someone is torrenting like crazy, causing sluggish performance, since it's impossible to block torrent traffic any other way.

@mackworth: Although DNS relay is an option, a lot of people are not about to disable it. Disabling DNS Relay, defeats the purpose of an easy network "set and forget". It is not an acceptable solution to have to configure every device for a static DNS server, which in my case involves 6 laptops now, 2 Desktops, Xbox 360 and a PS3.

I don't think that disabling the function would solve the issue. I can see that it could be a work-around if the router was dropping only DNS traffic, but that's not the case here in my scenerio.

GullyFoyle

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2009, 10:19:22 AM »

More on NAT table overflow ( Some of this is old news but does define the issue)
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21881646-Why-doesnt-everyone-have-the-NAT-problem
When a PC behind your router makes a connection to a server on the internet, the router has to "remember" which connection from which PC the request came from, since you have only one external IP address, so that when the response comes back, it is routed to the same connection on the same PC. This information is kept in the "Network Address Translation" (NAT) table.

When the NAT table is full, the router can't remember any more connections and so appears to hang. The two primary culprits in filling the NAT table are torrents, and refreshing large server lists in gaming servers such as Steam.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/403131.html
Actually, I find this encouraging to see that a D-Link router does log a message when the NAT table overflows.

I've seen behaviour recently which suggests to me that I have been losing NAT translations and I have suspected that the table may have filled up. This has only happened when there have been multiple computers running net games that involve peer to peer connections rather than just server connections.

However, someone else posted a message to the effect that an NAT entry only requires 160 bytes, ie every 1MB of router memory can hold over 6500 NAT entries, so it is hard to imagine it running out of memory, unless there is something else also using up the memory or the NAT table has a fixed size. I asked D-Link about this, but they reckoned it didn't. Not convinced they actually knew the answer one way or the other anyway.
[D-Link]      D-Link DGL-4100
http://www.speedguide.net/broadband-view.php?hw=78
NAT table size:      8192

That is double what the LINKSYS mentioned before was changed to. Nothing on release time. If it is possible to change the release time, say to the previously mentioned 90 seconds, it should stop NAT table overflow.
NAT problems are not specific to the D-link.If this is the case. Google search has a couple of more listed and the posts I linked to tend to be other brands. 
Frequent gaming seems to cause problems. That was mentioned above.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2009, 10:47:47 AM »

@lizzi555: As stated in the post, I have the options disabled for a long time. I only enable it when someone is torrenting like crazy, causing sluggish performance, since it's impossible to block torrent traffic any other way.

@mackworth: Although DNS relay is an option, a lot of people are not about to disable it. Disabling DNS Relay, defeats the purpose of an easy network "set and forget". It is not an acceptable solution to have to configure every device for a static DNS server, which in my case involves 6 laptops now, 2 Desktops, Xbox 360 and a PS3.

I don't think that disabling the function would solve the issue. I can see that it could be a work-around if the router was dropping only DNS traffic, but that's not the case here in my scenerio.

As noted in this thread earlier, if you turn of dns relay, you don't need to configure DNS manually.  I have an xbox, 2 wired pcs, 5 laptops and an iphone.  After I turned off DNS relay I didn't have to manually set DNS on any of them.  The worst case scenario is that you just have to restart your computer.  On my macbook, all I had to do was renew my DHCP.

Try disabling DNS relay.  My router was working for months on 1.11.  I upgraded to 1.31 and got the freezes.  I turned off DNS relay and I haven't had a freeze since.

mirceani

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2009, 02:27:44 PM »

Guys

In my case, after more than ONE year of perfect functionality, my router started those freezing episodes AFTER I up graded to firmware 1.31

So may I respectfully suggest to the Dlink guys to investigate what/where is the DIFFERENCE between previous firmware and the latest.
All people on this forum indicated that they started to have their routers freeze, AFTER the upgrade.

It should be very simple in my opinion to discover where the problem is and fix it, by comparing the firmware versions.

All those advises from different users, disable this, enable that, etc will not resolve the issue.

Makes sense?

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »

Guys

In my case, after more than ONE year of perfect functionality, my router started those freezing episodes AFTER I up graded to firmware 1.31

So may I respectfully suggest to the Dlink guys to investigate what/where is the DIFFERENCE between previous firmware and the latest.
All people on this forum indicated that they started to have their routers freeze, AFTER the upgrade.

It should be very simple in my opinion to discover where the problem is and fix it, by comparing the firmware versions.

All those advises from different users, disable this, enable that, etc will not resolve the issue.

Makes sense?

I think the Dlink guys  are trying to enable options such as "shareport" and maybe others that the chipset of the router can handle but was never programed into the firmware in the beginning. Thats where the problems starts.

Go back yourself and look @ the different features offered from firmware release to firmware release. Everything started going to hell with 1.20-1.21. They started making changes as it seems without thinking or knowing it would affect another portion of the router, DNS relay, Upnp, shareport, etc....

Linksys and others are starting to offer the USB connection so in the spirit of competition we get to be the ginnie pigs.
Not that I really mind an improvement on the product I bought but someone really dropped the ball on this.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:57:20 PM by jason1722x »

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »

There are some kernel changes in 1.3x. But this should not make a difference. You might want to try to reflash and configure manually after flashing (not restoring the saved config).

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »

There are some kernel changes in 1.3x. But this should not make a difference. You might want to try to reflash and configure manually after flashing (not restoring the saved config).
I did that already as many others have also to no effect. :-\

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2009, 03:20:45 PM »

I am pretty convinced that no one is even reading this thread before they post.  The same thing has been said over and over and over again.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2009, 03:23:01 PM »

not sure if you remember, but DNS relay was broken as far back as 1.21 (the thread at the top of the forum).  I think 1.30 was the official firmware that fixed it.  I really wouldn't be surprised if their fix was just bad.  Based on that I am guessing its not a problem with the switch to a newer Ubicom SDK but I could be wrong.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »

Beats me, but all works fine with DNS relay. Also with Enhanced DNS feature. So myst be a hardware revision issue.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »

Beats me, but all works fine with DNS relay. Also with Enhanced DNS feature. So myst be a hardware revision issue.

Except that people with different revisions are experiencing this problem.  The only somewhat consistent things we know:

This problem started in 1.3+
The only solution that has worked for people with this issue is to turn off DNS relay
This problem also happens in firmware 1.11 of the DIR-825
This happens on all revisions

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2009, 05:44:08 PM »

It's not only with 1.31.

I am using h/w A2 with f/w 1.22b05 (which has been removed from the ftp server). I should try downgrading to the firmware that didn't introduce shareport to see if the router hangs again. I am trying to remember when this problem begain, because I remember when I first got the router, this didn't start happening until I started upgrading the firmware. I wonder, as stated by one of the posters here, if the shareport feature is the culprit, although, I am not using the shareport feature because, well, yea, i'll just say that Fatman and I have the same thoughts about it.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2009, 05:45:34 PM »

It's not only with 1.31.

I am using h/w A2 with f/w 1.22b05 (which has been removed from the ftp server). I should try downgrading to the firmware that didn't introduce shareport to see if the router hangs again. I am trying to remember when this problem begain, because I remember when I first got the router, this didn't start happening until I started upgrading the firmware. I wonder, as stated by one of the posters here, if the shareport feature is the culprit, although, I am not using the shareport feature because, well, yea, i'll just say that Fatman and I have the same thoughts about it.

I meant officially released.  It would make sense that 1.22b05 would have this issue since because this was the first firmware that introduced the DNS relay fix.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21