• May 22, 2024, 07:08:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dns 345 hard disk suddenly dissapeared  (Read 3393 times)

aryan77

• Level 1 Member
Dns 345 hard disk suddenly dissapeared
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:05 PM »

Hi people , i have been using a dns 345 for a few months now and yesterday while installing some other equipment i had to switch of dns 345, however i dint shut it down but just turned off the power. After switching on the power and rebooting the hard disk has disappeared. The web ui says there is no hard disk installed.
I have removed the hard disk physically and tried installing in another bay with no success. By the way i just have one 3 tb hard drive. I have also tried resetting the nas but with no success. I have the latest firmware version 1.01, and till now had never faced such a problem.
Would highly appreciate some info and hopefully trouble shoot the problem.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Dns 345 hard disk suddenly dissapeared
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:41:49 AM »

Does the Web UI ask you to format the HDD or does it not recognize the HDD at all? Are you sure the HDD is spinning up when you turn on the DNS-345? You can feel the HDD for vibrations to make sure it's powering up.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

HunterGeo

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »

Sounds familiar... :/

an3k

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:16:49 PM »

however i dint shut it down but just turned off the power
Never ever do this with any NAS! A NAS is not like a USB-Stick but instead its like a Computer (actually it IS a Computer). If you just turn off the power you very likely lose data. Most of the time this is not a problem because only unimportant data get lost but sometimes you lose important data like the Master Boot Record or Partition Information.

If there is no data on the HDD you have to keep you can simply plugin the HDD into a computer and format it there. Any OS is fine.

If this is not a solution because you have data saved on it and don't have any backup (shame on you ;)) you have to plugin the HDD into a linux computer, check what's the problem (i think you destroyed the partition table) and manually repair / rebuild it.

!! There is no guarantee that you can restore anything what's on the disk !! But it is very unlikely that you lost all data.

HunterGeo

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:53:09 AM »

When my -345 deleted my network volumes, I put the HDDs into a desktop computer, fired up Linux Mint, did some chowning and chmoding on the drive and its files (as you won't have ownership over your files at this stage), and then I was able to access them.

Let me know if you need help doing this.