Warm holiday Greetings to all,
I just arrived back in town, last night, Dec 25th and my roommate tells me that the internet has been off for the last few days. Note:
I have DSL which is delivered by a TimeWarner modem labeled with the words ARRIS (model TM502G).
All the lights on the modem are green indicating that the signal is good (the light labeled "online" is solid green). This modem is brand new and was installed today just a few hours ago.
On my trusty D-link dir 615 H/W Ver. C1 (which I've had for a little over a year) the words D-Link are lit, green, and the light which indicates power is lit, orange. But no other lights come on.
1) I took a network cable from my brand new modem and plugged it into my laptop and i'm able to surf the internet just fine (i know that the internet signal coming from the modem is fine).
2) This same network cable, i unplugged it from the laptop and plugged it into my Dir 615 router (i plugged the network cable into the slot on the router labeled "internet") and still no lights come on (just the words D-link are lit and light indicating power is lit, orange).
3) while turned on (the online PDF manual says "with the power turned on") I used a paperclip to reset the router.
4) Next i unplugged the Dir 615 router
5) Next i took out the battery inside my TimeWarner modem and turned the modem off. And waited 30 seconds.
6) Next I turned on the TimeWarner modem and waited til all the lights came on and turned green (including the light indicating "online")
7) Next I connected a network cable from the TimeWarner modem to my D-Link Dir 615 router and then plugged the power cord into the router.
8 ) Again, the words D-link are lit, green, and the icon for power is lit, orange but ... no other lights on the Dir 615 router are coming on.
Does it seem like my router dead? BTW i have kept my router at all times roughly 20 feet from the TimeWarner modem and cable box. I don't understand ... how long, with proper care, is a router supposed to last?