• April 25, 2024, 10:18:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: HELP!!! transfers all my movies to nas and none will open vlc shows duration 00  (Read 5156 times)

naboull1

• Level 1 Member

someone help please
i transfered all my movies to dns345 from windows parallels on my mac files were copying really slow they all transferred the size all match the original so i deleted the originial and i tried to open them and they wont play duration is 00.00 i copied a few back to my computer and still wont work!! help

ivan

• Level 8 Member

Will they play if you restore them from your backup?  If so then I think you need to look at the file permissions - how you do that on a mac I don't know but I'm sure someone does.

naboull1

• Level 1 Member

Yeah I copied them back onto my Mac tried opening them still nothing

From there I figured the file became corrupt being transferred so I downloaded heaps of video repair tools all failed an avi repair tool would say this is not an avi file others would say its empty but the sizes are the same as the original

ivan

• Level 8 Member

By backup I did not mean those on your NAS - they are not a backup unless you have copies of your files on another drive.

From what you are saying it sounds as if you somehow transferred your files as text and not binary.  This can happen with FTP transfer if the FTP system is not setup correctly.

All you can do now is to restore your files from your backup - not the NAS - and make sure you transfer files to the NAS in binary in the future.

naboull1

• Level 1 Member

i dont have a back up anymore thats the problem after i copied them i reformatted the harddrive with the original videos to use it for something else,

can you explain more about binary and text,

how can i fix the issue what options are there to make it back to a binary from a text ? ill do what ever it takes

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic

Unfortunately, if the root cause of this issue is that the video files were transferred as ASCII rather than binary, then I'm afraid the damage is irrevocable. The manner in which data is translated from binary to ASCII results in code that cannot be converted back to binary through an automated process. Put as simply as possible, the ASCII conversion process will invariably create some code that is the same as existing code that is native to the original file, and no automated process exists (that I know of) that can discern between the code created by the ASCII conversion versus the native code.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:42:56 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC