• June 03, 2024, 09:48:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Adding another Hard Drive to DNS-320  (Read 4642 times)

fedweb

• Level 1 Member
Adding another Hard Drive to DNS-320
« on: July 27, 2012, 07:19:05 AM »

I have been using my DNS-320 with only one 2TB drive installed for about 6 months.  It is used as the backup for 3 laptops.  I have just purchased a second 2TB drive and was looking to use it as a mirror of the first. Before installing the second 2TB drive, should I backup the first 2TB drive?  I've read that if the a second drive is installed, the DNS-320 will format BOTH drives with of course, the loss of all data on the first drive which would defeat the object.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Adding another Hard Drive to DNS-320
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 10:27:43 AM »

Before you create a RAID-1, do you already have a backup of your data? RAID-1 provides redundancy, but is not considered a backup. ShareCenter - Data Backup vs. Redundancy
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

fedweb

• Level 1 Member
Re: Adding another Hard Drive to DNS-320
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »

Wow. A bit over my head.

I was just looking to find out if I could simply install a 2nd 2TB hard drive in the spare slot in my DNS-320 as an additional insurance against the 1st hard drive developing a fault and subsequently losing my existing backup data. 

It was a question regarding whether with my existing DNS-320 set up which is configured with only one hard drive, I could simply pop in a second 2TB drive and reconfigure for RAID 1 and they would both mirror each other.

My fear was that the DNS-320 would format BOTH hard drives and the 1st hard drive which currently holds all the backup data, would be lost if I had not back that one up to yet another backup source.