• May 22, 2024, 07:02:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Is DHCP Reserving A Bit Better Than Static IP?  (Read 8463 times)

IcyRhythms

• Level 1 Member
Is DHCP Reserving A Bit Better Than Static IP?
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »

i haven't setup static ips for my ps3, computer, or xbox 360. the router seemed to give them some on its own, and things have been running a lot smoother since doing this. all three have different a different ip and mac address, so we're good there. i'm not really sure how it works, but i was playing with it and everything seems to work better than before. my understanding is that the router makes sure those ips get used by ONLY the items listed...so if i turn my computer off and then back on, it will still have everything the same.(same for ps3 and xbox 360) they all have domain names set...

i've been able to forward ports on XP, and to the ps3.(no problems)

i just wouldn't know the first thing about setting a static ip up and portforwarding.com is a bit confusing for me

Zardoz66

• Level 2 Member
Re: Is DHCP Reserving A Bit Better Than Static IP?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 04:34:03 PM »

You don't need to reserve a IP endless you need a device to have the same IP every time. this can be for servers or for system that have special rules for IP/port forwarding or gaming fuel settings.

The benefit of DHCP ip reserving is that the device gets the same IP every time and that the DHCP server still auto configures the IP settings for the device. ie gateway/DNS etc.
Zardoz66

DGL-4300 v1.9 | DAP-1522 v1.20 | DGS-2208 | DPR-1260 v1.24 | DNS-323 v1.6
1Gb JF=9k single drive mode
1 Seagate ST3300831AS 3NF1E956 300 G 
2 Seagate ST3300831AS 3NF1E03G 300 G

IcyRhythms

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:47:35 PM »

yes, but i don't understand how to set static ips for my ps3 and 360. i've already done so for my computer.(finally)

arod

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 08:42:13 AM »

If you're going to use DHCP reservation you don't need to set static IP's on you console.. Set your consoles to obtain an IP automatically and let the router assign the IP's and have DHCP reservation enabled for the consoles.. Please reference the following FAQ for DHCP reservation.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2472&question=DHCP+reservation

IcyRhythms

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »

that's what i thought

the router is already set to do that. thanks though

i just wasn't sure if i NEEDED to set static ips for 360 and ps3