• April 30, 2024, 01:16:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-321 an Windows 7  (Read 8715 times)

wehaveall

• Level 1 Member
DNS-321 an Windows 7
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »

Has anyone tried to setup the device in windows 7?? Here I cant map the drive or even acess it. I see only the black icon on Network. There shoud be already a drive or firmware support for the new Microsoft' OS.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: DNS-321 an Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:51:29 AM »

You probably have a Windows 7 side issue - the DNS-3xx series of NAS devices all use industry standard SMB and should be useable with any OS supporting SMB, no device drivers are required.

I've experienced no problems using my DNS-323 with Windows 7 (64 bit)
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

lis1974

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:19:49 AM »

Has anyone tried to setup the device in windows 7?? Here I cant map the drive or even acess it. I see only the black icon on Network. There shoud be already a drive or firmware support for the new Microsoft' OS.
1. Windows 7 is beta. I don't think "There shoud be already a drive or firmware support for the new Microsoft' OS"  can be applied to this case.
2. Try drivers from Vista.
3. Go to Explorer and map drives by using MAP NETWORK DRIVE. Folder: \\DLINK_IP_ADDRESS\D-LINK_VOLUME_NAME   
4. Will try how it working at home. As soon as I have time. I install Windows 7 inside of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. So moving of  this installation from job to home must be easy(just copy one file - virtual hard drive).
Where is no shadow in the dark.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:27:41 AM »

This is not a driver issues, more likely what you are seeing, is a SMB (Samba) issue.
(FYI, the DNS-321 uses Samba to allow Microsoft OSs to access the DNS-321's drives)

In Windows 7 (beta) Microsoft has "re-worked" their networking component to make it easier to
share you files with other Windows 7 computers.  Part of Microsoft's new networking code is a new
concept called "HomeGroup".  from http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/13/windows-7-homegroup-overview

"HomeGroup in Windows 7 will simplify the tasks associated with sharing music, pictures and documents
within your home network and Windows 7 PCs."

Problem is, this new networking concept doesn't seem to work well with non-Windows 7 (beta) PCs.
Perhaps, there will be new code introduced in a future version of Samba (www.samba.org) to account
for this new networking concept, if Microsoft is forthcoming with the detail of their new networking strategy.

See http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/75-63-windows-samba-issue for a discussion of Win7 Samba issues.

Until, Samba is updated, and D-Link uses the newer Samba in the DNS-321 firmware, you should not
expect Windows 7 (beta) PCs to work well with the DNS-321.

DESIi1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 03:23:56 PM »

I had the same Maping problem with Win 7 64B and my DNS-321

Manually maping per the templet below worked fine.  You can use the D-Link Easy Search utility to get the info you need, e.g. IP and Volume names.

3. Go to Explorer and map drives by using MAP NETWORK DRIVE.
        Folder:  \\DLINK_IP_ADDRESS\D-LINK_VOLUME_NAME 

schnydz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 12:53:56 AM »

Hi all -
I have been using the latest build of windows 7 with my DNS-321 and I have had ZERO problems with SMB. In fact, windows recognized the NAS in both the networking window and devices and printers window almost instantly. Also, I had no problems with LLTD with windows 7.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 12:13:20 PM »

I used this with the RC version and now with the full release version of Windows 7, no problems at all.  Yes, I'm running the 64 bit version, and the 32 bit version also works with it just fine.  Same comment applies to the DNS-323, which I also have, works with both.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.