• September 19, 2019, 07:37:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6  (Read 15464 times)

salahx

  • Level 1 Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »

I bought 2 of these not to long ago, to replace 2 older routers (a Zyxel and Linksys ).  However so far I've run into the following 3 problems:

1) Lots of intermittent hang/stalls, especially on web pages. Turning off SPI seems to stop it. Did not occur with old router or direct connection, happens on both routers.

2) NAT TCP Timeouts? TCP connection idle for more than 60 seconds seems to timeout (so far DCC and MSN ) - a "connection reset by peer" message occurs if anything is sent after timeout period. So far no solution: Tunring off SPI, QoS, making endpoint independent doesn't help. Does nto happen directly, without router, does happen with both routers.

3) Routing screen only has "WAN" dropdown, no "LAN". I have a VPN between me and my parents networks , the VPN server is on another machine, it would be too cumbersome - and on some devices, impossible to add the route to every machine - this was the express reason I bought these (that and IPv6 support for the inevitable switch). Seems to be a UI limitation only - using Firebug was able to get this to work. 

4) My ISP, Charter, now has a 6rd gateway for ipv6 connectivity (http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/Support.aspx?SupportArticleID=2665). However there is no 6rd config in the IPv6 menu in the router, and none of the other options seem right either. Am I missing something or is this just not supported (yet)?
Logged

FurryNutz

  • Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • *****
  • Posts: 47759
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »

What HW version is your router?
What FW version is currently loaded?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.

Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2? Preferred is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AE

6RD is a fairly new protocol so I don't think it was implemented on the 615. Not sure if it will be.
Get ahold of Patrick533 over on the 825 forum about 6RD.

If you need some help, maybe we can use teamviewer and review your routers settings with you.
Keep us posted.
Logged
Cable:200mb/10Mb>NetGear C7800>DIR-882>DGS-1100>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-3902/2202/1203,DIR-2680,890L,882,880L,868L,DNR-202L,DNS-345x2,DCS-933L,936L and 960L.
Go Here>Router Troubleshooting

salahx

  • Level 1 Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »

Hardware version E3
Firmware 5.10

Charter / Cable - both routers
Motorola SB5120 - Stand Alone - both routers

DNS is populated
Turned off QoS - didn't help
Advanced DNS was never enabled
DNS Relay was already enabled
DHCP address were already reserved for both computers
Changed firewall settings - didn't help

Using G+N, however the computers are both wired
WPA2-AES on one router, WPA-Mixed on the other (Due to PSP 1000 series, hardware not WPA2 capable)
Logged

FurryNutz

  • Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • *****
  • Posts: 47759
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:40:25 PM »

Ok, how do you have these router(s) set up? Are you using these 2 router in tandem or at different places?

What OS and web browsers are you using on the PCs?

Logged
Cable:200mb/10Mb>NetGear C7800>DIR-882>DGS-1100>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-3902/2202/1203,DIR-2680,890L,882,880L,868L,DNR-202L,DNS-345x2,DCS-933L,936L and 960L.
Go Here>Router Troubleshooting

salahx

  • Level 1 Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »

They are in 2 different places, on 2 different network. They are residential gateway to the Internet. Both computers run Linux (one Gentoo, one Fedora). The 2 Linux computers are openvpn gateway between the 2 networks, each network has several devices (Windows, Macs, game systems, DVD players, printers - no smartphones or tablets yet).

All computers are browsing via Firefox usually, occasionally using IE (Windows) or Safari (Mac), some of the game systems have embedded browsers as well)
Logged

FurryNutz

  • Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • *****
  • Posts: 47759
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 01:08:56 PM »

Are you sure the 2 Linux PCs are set for correctly for this operation?
Does normal internet work well for a PC directly connected to the router and getting internet correctly with out going thru any of the Linux Gateways? 
Logged
Cable:200mb/10Mb>NetGear C7800>DIR-882>DGS-1100>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-3902/2202/1203,DIR-2680,890L,882,880L,868L,DNR-202L,DNS-345x2,DCS-933L,936L and 960L.
Go Here>Router Troubleshooting

salahx

  • Level 1 Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »

Yes, they are configured correctly for this (they wre configured long before these routers were introduced)

The Internet works the same when 2 Linux PC are disabled - all the same problem above occur.
Logged

FurryNutz

  • Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • *****
  • Posts: 47759
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:32:16 PM »

I would have you ensure that the cables between the ISP modem and routers are in good working condition. swap cables just to be sure. I have experiences some in box cables are not mfr'd well.

This is happening on 2 of the same routers and different networks. Possible these units could be faulty.
Can you put one of the older routers back online for a quick test to see if the problem goes away?
Logged
Cable:200mb/10Mb>NetGear C7800>DIR-882>DGS-1100>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-3902/2202/1203,DIR-2680,890L,882,880L,868L,DNR-202L,DNS-345x2,DCS-933L,936L and 960L.
Go Here>Router Troubleshooting

salahx

  • Level 1 Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 03:32:12 PM »

I rehooked up and configured the old router on my side of the network. There have been no disconnects or timeout on idle connections (using the same cable as I was with the DIR-615) in the last hour (which normally happen every few minutes for stalls and every 60 seconds for TCP timeouts)
Logged

FurryNutz

  • Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • *****
  • Posts: 47759
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »

Must say this is an odd issue. Really leaning towards the routers being bad.
I suppose as a last effort would be for someone to teamviewer.com in and take a look at the router settings with you if your interested.
Logged
Cable:200mb/10Mb>NetGear C7800>DIR-882>DGS-1100>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-3902/2202/1203,DIR-2680,890L,882,880L,868L,DNR-202L,DNS-345x2,DCS-933L,936L and 960L.
Go Here>Router Troubleshooting

salahx

  • Level 1 Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »

While I was going through preparing for the end of DST, the router did support changing on dates, but while there there was one for Nov 6, there NOT one for Mar 11 (which is when DST starts in 2012).

I loaded DD-WRT to see if its some kind of hardware problem, the router works fine with it (no NAT timeouts, no stall with SPI, static route GUI) so the router itself seems OK - this just seems like a case of buggy firmware. I was hoping, by buying a brand-name router, rather than some store Brand X, I wouldn't run into this (and I've tried several, many of the firmwares are broken to the port of unusability).

Unfortunately while DD-WRT support many things (that I don't need), IPv6 and WPS support are not among them (not for this model, anyway) - which is what I wanted, so I'd rather use the factory firmware. I'd just return them to the store for a different kind of router, but they were refurbs and the return period has expired. 5.10US seems to be the latest (and so far, only) firmware version - nearly 2 years old.
Logged

FurryNutz

  • Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • *****
  • Posts: 47759
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »

Well you can use WRT, just know that if you want support from Dlink, you'll need to put on OEM FW. Good luck.
Logged
Cable:200mb/10Mb>NetGear C7800>DIR-882>DGS-1100>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-3902/2202/1203,DIR-2680,890L,882,880L,868L,DNR-202L,DNS-345x2,DCS-933L,936L and 960L.
Go Here>Router Troubleshooting

dpartrid

  • Level 1 Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »

>TCP connection idle for more than 60 seconds seems to timeout

I have the same problem with my new DIR 601.  The doc states that established TCP connections have a 7800 second (130 minute) idle timeout.  However, any new TCP connection I establish gets killed by the DIR601 after only 60 seconds.  I can verify this in the dlink's STATUS menu, INTERNET SESSIONS.  This shows me the connections and the dlink's idle timer for them (which never is higher than 59 seconds even for a brand new TCP connection), and if I keep refreshing the page, I can watch it go to 0, and then the next time I try to use the application whose connection that was, it can't use the connection and has to recover.  The DLINK doesn't even do the courtesy of announcing to the application that it RESET the connection.  It just dumps it... which can make applications take EVEN LONGER to recover, since the application then has to try and retry to use the connection over and over until it gives up and finally either announces the problem or tries to open a brand new connection.

If I remove my dlink from the mix and connect directly to my ISPs equipment, I have no problems.  (But of course no private network or firewall.)  I need a properly functional router!

P.S.  I support networks for a living, so 98% chance I'm not just making a user error.  And the remaining 2% is mostly because I'm humble, not because I actually think I might be wrong. :)
Logged

FurryNutz

  • Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • *****
  • Posts: 47759
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 07:13:05 AM »

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.

Some things to try:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2? Preferred is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area?
Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

>TCP connection idle for more than 60 seconds seems to timeout

I have the same problem with my new DIR 601.  The doc states that established TCP connections have a 7800 second (130 minute) idle timeout.  However, any new TCP connection I establish gets killed by the DIR601 after only 60 seconds.  I can verify this in the dlink's STATUS menu, INTERNET SESSIONS.  This shows me the connections and the dlink's idle timer for them (which never is higher than 59 seconds even for a brand new TCP connection), and if I keep refreshing the page, I can watch it go to 0, and then the next time I try to use the application whose connection that was, it can't use the connection and has to recover.  The DLINK doesn't even do the courtesy of announcing to the application that it RESET the connection.  It just dumps it... which can make applications take EVEN LONGER to recover, since the application then has to try and retry to use the connection over and over until it gives up and finally either announces the problem or tries to open a brand new connection.

If I remove my dlink from the mix and connect directly to my ISPs equipment, I have no problems.  (But of course no private network or firewall.)  I need a properly functional router!

P.S.  I support networks for a living, so 98% chance I'm not just making a user error.  And the remaining 2% is mostly because I'm humble, not because I actually think I might be wrong. :)
Logged
Cable:200mb/10Mb>NetGear C7800>DIR-882>DGS-1100>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-3902/2202/1203,DIR-2680,890L,882,880L,868L,DNR-202L,DNS-345x2,DCS-933L,936L and 960L.
Go Here>Router Troubleshooting

dpartrid

  • Level 1 Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: DIR-615 freezes, NAT timeouts, routing, IPv6
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
A1
What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.
1.02NA (and the unit claims this is current when I tell it to check)

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
I have VeracityNetworks, it is fiber optic.

What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
I believe the unit it is a stand alone but I have very little information about it's true nature.  Ethernet on my side, fiber goes out.

What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
World Wide Packets, Lightning Edge 46  (Normally I wouldn't even know this, because it's sealed in the ISP's box.  But last time their tech was here he left it unlocked.)

If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.
N/A

Some things to try:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Done

Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Done (had tried this already, but now is done again).

Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
It is off.  Never turned it on.

Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
It is on.

Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking
Set it up this way in the first place

Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Done

Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.
Done.  (In fact I had already tried all variations of these settings, but now they are back to this).

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing.
Done

What wireless modes are you using?
I am not using wireless for this, I am just using a wired PC.  In fact, today I disabled the wireless completely to see if that made any difference.  It did not.  So the following questions become irrelevant:

Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2? Preferred is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area?
Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.
------------------------------

None of this changed the behavior in question.  What I really need is someone at DLINK to pull out a 601 (or 615 as the previous poster had) and test this.  It's easy.  Make a new tcp connection and check the timeout in STATUS / INTERNET SESSIONS.  If it is always just 60 seconds or less on established connections, then the problem is reproduced and they troubleshoot the problem there until they isolate and fix it.  (I have emailed support but have not heard back.  But it's only been 24 hours, so I'm giving it more time.)
Logged
Pages: [1] 2