• June 04, 2024, 11:29:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Memory leak of two core adaptor files  (Read 6408 times)

tevibear

• Level 1 Member
Memory leak of two core adaptor files
« on: September 19, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »

I noticed that these two files associated with this adaptor have memory leaks:

wlsvc.exe
version: 1, 0, 0, 2

wirelesscm.exe
Version: 4.34.124.0

The WLSVC.EXE file has the worst leak. When the module first loads into memory, it is only about 2500K in size. However, as time goes by after the machine has been booted for awhile, the memory usage increases steadily and never ends with this file, even if you disconnect the adaptor and sit idle with no programs loaded and not doing anything. The other file leaks a lot slower, but it still leaks none the less. I checked the memory usage before I turned off the computer last night, and WLSVC.EXE was using over 70,000K of memory. I have checked all over the place for an explanation. These files are not viruses or malware or spyware as far as I can tell. The Wirelesscm.exe file is the wireless manager for this adaptor, and the other file has something to do with internet security. They are both located in the D-Link program folder.

My question is, can I rename the WLSVC.exe file to something else and not load it and still be ok, or will this cause problems and affect my internet security while using the adaptor? Also, should I report this to D-Link? If so, will they even care of do anything about it? Is anyone else out there seeing the same thing on your machines with these two culprits?

Thanks,

Tevi

tevibear

• Level 1 Member
Re: Memory leak of two core adaptor files
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:39:30 AM »

Update:

Ok. I found the culprit listed as a windows service entry in the registry. I pulled up the windows services application and disabled the worst offender. So far so good. As seeing how so many of you have avoided D-Link's software, I can now see why because they obviously can't afford the people on their staff with the skills to make a solid and stable product both on the software and the hardware side of the house. You definitely want to bypass D-Link altogether and just install the adaptor using the Atheros drivers from the web and then use the windows zero configuration utility to manage the connection to the router.

In conclusion, the memory leaks are now gone, and I will make sure to avoid D-Link garbage from now on. If the DWA-552 & the DIR 655 combo that I have set up starts to give me anymore headaches, I will be jumping ship to another manufacturer for any of my future networking needs.

Cheers.