• June 15, 2024, 07:46:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-320 files not accesible form Win7 machine  (Read 16502 times)

Look30

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320 files not accesible form Win7 machine
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »

I cans ee them from one machine but not from another one in the same network
When I try form machine no 2 I get a log on window and no matter what credentials I used it get denied.
All the failed logins are recorded in the DNS log.
I can access the UI no problem but can't use the NAS function.

Ang3l3ye5

• Level 1 Member
WifiN cannot find DNS-320
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:06:16 AM »

If Mods read this thread, I'd like to add myself to the OP, having a similar problem.....

Setup DNS-320, simple setup, no shares/user profiles needed etc, as I'  the sole user without any need to allow access to other users, so have literally just connected to network, run the configuration to format the new Samsung F4 2TB HDD as 'standard', upon cpmpletion, confirmed accessibility on all machines connected at that time, which concicted of 3 PC's connected via Gb LAN. I then created a new folder on 'volume-1' named 'TV Series', and udinmg windows explorer i.e. from desktop - Network>DNS-320>Volume-1>TV Series and on same PC opened up my media folders using windows explorer: G:>TV Series, select all, ctrl + c then copied tje lot over the LAN to the NAS folder specified above.

All went fine, all transferred over to the NAS in one go with no faults, 890GB of files, on completion using thje 3 PC's connected via LAN I confirmed connectivity, and also streamed to each of the 3 PC's the TV content to Media Centre.

So all PC's that connect via LAN, seem to find the NAS without any problems via windows explorer, however the problem I have is that my wireless N enabled netbook can't find the NAS as another computer to access, it see's it under the media devices afyer I enabled the upnp Media server on the NAS, I can reach the NAS configuration page via the browser UI, but still cannot find the DNS-320 as another computer to find the folders to transfer files to/from, as it does on the LAN connected PC's.

My  network concists of the following:

BT Home Hub 3 Router, Netgear 5-port Gb switch connected to the GigE port on the router, DNS-320 connected to switch Port1, PC1 on switch Port2, PC2 switch Port3, PC3 switch Port4,   Port 5 connects switch to the router GigE port, and there's also a printer connected to a 100 Mb LAN port on the router, and the netbook connects to the HomeHub3 via wifi N (40mhz channels) with tx 150mbps and rx of 300mbps...

All PC's and the netbook use Windows 7 Ultimate, all share the same workgroup, and the DNS-320 has been configured to the same workgroup, I have enabled the LLTD on the DNS-320, yet no matter what the netbook has never been able to find the DNS-320 when I use windows explorer to open network folder to find network devices, it shows all the LAN connected PC's, but not the NAS...???

PS: The NAS has been updated to Firmware v.2.0 without any problems, and the problem existed on FW v.1.0 as well, I' m using DHCP for IP assignment with maximum lease time set on the routers DHCP IP lease time (21 days).

I've been reading and searching the forums to try to find any solutions but have given up and decided to add my problem in hope that someone here can offer some help...if any more info is required I'll try to provide it asap..

Is this a Windows explorer issue or a DNS-320 issue...???

TIA for any help..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:18:49 AM by Ang3l3ye5 »

hoppo1

• Level 2 Member
Re: DNS-320 files not accesible form Win7 machine
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:37:25 AM »

network folder to find network devices, it shows all the LAN connected PC's, but not the NAS...Huh

I believe enabling LLTD (Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD)) under Lan Setup will resolve this for you. I don't think it show's up straight away but will appear after a while.

hoppo1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 02:48:39 AM »

Just re read and noted already enabled..

Perhaps name resolution is a bit screwy on that one machine. does it work via IP address instead of host name? I don't know your local setup but are you using any local dns or have setup a fqdn on the machine in question? maybe adding a hosts file with the details of your dlink might resolve this for you.

Ang3l3ye5

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:03:25 AM »

I believe enabling LLTD (Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD)) under Lan Setup will resolve this for you. I don't think it show's up straight away but will appear after a while.

Not sure that'll be the case, I have enabled LLTD on mine, with no success, same as the OP, my LAN connected PC's see one another and the NAS OK, but my wifiN netbook configured to the dame network group, doesn'rt seem to find the NAS at all, it finds the LAN connected PC's without any problem, just not the LLTD enabled NAS..is there some default cap to the number of connections at one time available to the NAS or somthing similar...though I've tried with just 1 PC and the netbook on and the netbook still can't find/connect to the NAS..??

I agree if the OP hasn't already enabled LLTD then it may help his LAN connected PC's to find the NAS in windows explorer, but it hasn't helped with my wireless connection with the identical problem..

Any suggestions welcome..!!

EDIT: Oops, cross-posted..!!!

No not using a local DNS or setup a fqdn on the netbook, can conmnect via web UI no problem, and explorer finds NAS UPnP Server, though it doesn't connect..!!

Just not sure where the problem lies, IMO it has to lie somewhere with the connectivity, as thats the only difference between the machines that can find and connect to the NAS, and the one that can't.... all LAN are all OK, only wifi seems to be the problem, I'd say it was a speed issue if igt were wireless G etc, but I'm using wirelss N, and it finds the other PC's OK, only other thing is the OS on the NAS, maybe the wifi adapter needs to be configured to recognise, other network typees, Novell/Unix etc, instead of Windows...????? I'll have a fiddle to see what I can see in the network adapter properties page for the netbook wifi adapter...!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:11:46 AM by Ang3l3ye5 »

hoppo1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 03:28:07 AM »

could be windows firewall or antivirus stopping the connections try disabling.

Ang3l3ye5

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 03:36:58 AM »

Hmm..thadn't thought of that TBH... I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, and it usually prompts when new connectioms are found/detected for user input required to make trusted etc... but I'll look at that as well now, though no such problem with any other network devices, so it's a long-shot I guess..!!

Ang3l3ye5

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 04:09:48 AM »

Update to my problem, I managed to resolve my problems by doing the following:

Needed to check the network adapter properties, go to network connections, right-clicking on network adapter in use>properties>select IPv4>properties>advanced>select WINS tab and in the bottom of the WINS tab page select the "enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" instead of the default, ...then click apply>OK>OK to close back to the adapter properties, repeat to check the settings are applied to IPv6 on the same adapter properties as well, then go back to the network page and refresh (F5) and it discovered & made accessible my other devices incl. my NAS & my LAN connected Printer  :) :)

Hope it helps others who may have similar problems...!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:15:54 AM by Ang3l3ye5 »

Look30

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 05:20:06 AM »

Turns out it's a problem related to the user name in Windows.

Once I switched to another user not called Admin everything came back to normal.
This is not 100% sure but close enough .

I will give a try with Angels solution in the User Admin account to see if that will fix the problem.

KnightPaladin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 01:10:58 PM »

HI all,

For all that have this problem on different Dlink NAS servers here is some clues. I had this problem and for weeks I couldn't figure out whats wrong. Problem randomly occurred after one restart.The message was something like sharecenter\volume 1 is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource...

I set 2 days and googled out the problem for hours and tried 100 things. I did all of them and only in the end it worked so I am not sure what combination did the trick:

- First i did reset of the DNS-320l several times by pressing a button on the server itself. In the previous period this always helped to fix many problems.
- I added an account in Management\Account Management\User/Groups with basic options only mandatory ones and gave it read/write permissions, this is needed to work.
- Within server I did "reset of network shares" to default values several times. There is a button in Management\Account Management\Network Shares. If not this then you need to select a drive (my default name is Volume 1) and set it to be able to be accessed by All accounts or u can choose a specific account u made above mentioned.

After all of this server was still asking for user name and password and when i enter the correct admin credentials or any user i have I couldn't access it.
Then I tried next things:

- Make sure server is in same workgroup as computer you use to access it. You can check on computer this in Control Panel then System. You have all info on the bottom of the screen and can change it there. This workgroup has to be set on NAS by going in Management tab then System Management then Device. There you enter this and other info you want.
- Then go to Control Panel, Network ans Sharing Center and on the left change adapter settings and then go to your network card you use to connect to your network where NAS server is (LAN or WI-FI). Then click right button on it and go properties and check if there is Client for Microsoft networks click anywhere in window and click install button then "Client" then add and then choose "Client fot ...."
- Go to Control Panel, Network ans Sharing Center then on the left go to change advanced sharing settings and then go to File Sharing connections and put "Enable file sharing for devices that use 40 or 56 bit encryption" not sure that did this anything. Then on same page go to Homegroup connections and and selected "Use user accounts and password to connect to other computers" also not sure if this did something.
- Go to Control Panel then User Accounts then to Manage Credentials on the left and there i found i have some credentials set for DLINK DNS called similar to my sharecenter on 2 places. I removed those. When i did that I was able to access server but still not access the hard drive volume.

After that i did next:

- Ran secpol.msc u can type it search programs and files in Windows. Went to Local Policies, Security Options, Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level. Made sure it was set to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated. Then go to double-check the admin account is enabled by going , Local Policies, Security Options, Accounts: Administrator account status and checking it is enabled.
- Same way ran compmgmt.msc. Went to Local Users and Groups, Users, Administrator. Unticked “Account in disabled” and clicked Apply then OK.
- Log out of my standard user account (Start > Log Off), and click on the Admin account you just enabled (it has no password by default). If you've never logged in as Administrator in will give you a new profile and desktop settings.
- Rebooted and logged in using Administrator account. NAS is was now accessible. After that i logged on my normal user account i use in windows and it worked there also.

Hope this helps someone and spares a lot of time and research.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:12:31 PM by KnightPaladin »