• May 23, 2024, 01:16:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Too many emails alerts and no video  (Read 5665 times)

MikeJ101

• Level 1 Member
Too many emails alerts and no video
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:59:58 AM »

Hello,
So I recently purchased the DSC-930L and would like to expand with additional cameras.  But first, I have got to get a handle on this one.  Thus far, the set up hasn't been difficult.  Got it connected to the ATT uverse wireless modem with no problem.  Have navigated through the online Mydlink account and into the deeper settings via the browser, installed the D-View cam software, and even gotten the Android App on my phone working to see the cam feed. 

However, getting into the function of motion detection and notification has proven to be more difficult than it needs to be.  Once setting up the email notifications, all I get are dozens....hundreds of emails with individual JPEG's.  I have also been unsuccessful in finding where the videos files are. I've found the playback stuff in the D-View software, but can this video automatically be uploaded to an FTP?   First and foremost the email notification must be dealt with.  How do I get it to send me a single event image...so when motion is detected it sends me a critical image of what triggered the event.  After I know I can get it to send me one image and not a stream of images I will proceed with this software.  Otherwise it's useless.

I should say that before buying this camera I had downloaded and toyed with Vitamin D Cam software which will also work with these cameras(and I've also been successful with) and other web cams.  I have actually successfully used the Vitamin D softwares email notification with no issue with this same camera.  It will email me ONE image per event....and upload information to via FTP for off site storage of events.  It is very easy to use software over the stuff provided for mydlink. ....but if I can get a handle on this stuff I will use it.

thanks in advance for any help

TD99

• Level 2 Member
Re: Too many emails alerts and no video
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:15:13 PM »

I think you're asking too much of the DCS-930L considering it's low price point. This isn't a true "video" camera, rather it takes many single snapshots per second (think of a DSLR camera in "continuous mode" when you hold down the shutter release). You haven't been successful in finding where the video files are because there aren't any. In order to capture video, you need to run the D-View software on a PC. Period.

As for receiving many motion detection emails, yeah, I can relate. Just last weekend I was outside detailing cars, landscaping etc. By Monday morning I had just under 1,000 emails in my inbox. As I stated/complained in a previous thread, the motion detection function needs the ability to be set on a schedule (such as 8a-5pm Mon-Fri) so I only get emails while I am at work. Last week I had to tone down the sensitivity on one of my four cams because we were watching TV and therefore the overall room brightness was fluctuating constantly. Result? An email every 4 seconds for several hours. I also don't need an email every time I turn a room's light on/off, so again, the camera sorely needs the ability to set the motion detection to a schedule!

Sure, I could run D-View or Vitamin D or WebcamXP, but one of my main requirements is NOT having to run a PC 24/7 in my house. I've had my four DCS-930L cams for a month now and am mostly satisfied with the results. I get an email alert whenever someone walks up my driveway and when one of my cats jumps where they aren't supposed to (not that I can do anything about it at the time). The "live monitoring" function on my Android phone using the "myDLink Lite" application is also very slick.

In all, the system isn't perfect but it sure beats what I had before, which was "nothing".

MikeJ101

• Level 1 Member
Re: Too many emails alerts and no video
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »

yeah....I kinda just wanted to confirm I wasn't crazy and thinking I'm over looking some settings somewhere.  I think I saw your posts elsewhere on here..... I guess I was surprised at the issue with the email bombardments because I had downloaded the vitamin D software a few days prior to buying the D-link stuff.  The Vitamin D seems really slick and stream line.  The Dlink...you have to sign in online at mydlink...then go to a tab and open the next console which you then have to log into again.....and if you want to get any video exported you then have to use the software.....and all three things look and function entirely different. So much you would assume you were using 3 different companies products. 

I agree the dlink cams are fairly priced and you don't HAVE to use them with the mydlink softwares or services.  But, the cam can certainly make a video because Vitamin D is making quicktime files from it.  It's all in what the software does with those individual frames....it can make a 1000 images or 1 video file.   I too was looking and hopeful that I could set up a slick system with no computer needed....but I think my plan has changed.  I'll probably have a machine set up just to handle the Vitamin D software and monitoring the dlink cams.  That will be the one I use to send me email alerts, and video etc.... The mydlink....I will probably use to upload to my domains FTP and dump images into as a backup....incase the Vitamin D set up freezes up or something.   

Maybe Dlink will update it's software to really make these cameras shine.  They've got a really good idea and start o***ood DIY system.....but I think they are going to end up with a lot of returns because the majority of people are going to get frustrated.