• June 04, 2024, 07:13:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-552 Not Detected  (Read 10061 times)

AH1

DWA-552 Not Detected
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:36:18 AM »

Hello everyone,

I installed the DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adaptor over the summer while I was at home where we have a wireless network.  It worked great, and there were no problems.  In August, I returned to college, and I connected my computer to an ethernet here, including a mandatory installation of Cisco Secure Connect client, as I've done for the past three years.  However, upon returning home over Thanksgiving, I noticed that my DWA-552 is not working, in fact, its not even registering as connected.  I opened up my computer, and made sure the hardware was securely connected; it was.  I checked the hardware manager, and nothing is being registered inside the PCI port that the card is plugged into.  I tried reinstalling the drivers, and all that happened was the installation was interrupted as it told me that my card was not installed physically.

I'm not entirely sure what to do here.  The card was working fine until August when I returned to college, and that leads me to believe that perhaps Cisco's software disabled my card somehow.  However, as reinstallation failed, I'm not entirely sure what else could be wrong besides the worst case scenario of a blown card.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or any suggestions to resolve the problem?  Thanks very much.

arod

Re: DWA-552 Not Detected
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:56:53 AM »

AH1,

Have you tried to use a different slot in the computer? Also when the PC is powered on, do you notice if the light on the adapter is on? Try to temporarily disable any firewalls and anti-virus softwares if you have any and try again. If it still appears to be defective, contact tech support to further troubleshoot and possibly receive an RMA. 877-453-5465

AH1

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »

I am not using any firewalls or antivirus software that I was not using while the card was functioning, but nevertheless, turning them off does not resolve the problem.  Furthermore, because of the three antenna on the back of the card, I will not be able to move it to any other PCI slot without the antenna hooking cords on the back of the computer or the card coming in contact with cords inside the computer.  Unfortunantely, I do not have a static ground with me right now to attempt any internal changes anyway.

To answer your question, the light is not on, nor does it blink as if a connection were detected.  When attempting to open the software that was provided with the D-link card, there is simply a system beep and nothing further.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:03:48 PM »

Hello everyone,

I installed the DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adaptor over the summer while I was at home where we have a wireless network.  It worked great, and there were no problems.  In August, I returned to college, and I connected my computer to an ethernet here, including a mandatory installation of Cisco Secure Connect client, as I've done for the past three years.  However, upon returning home over Thanksgiving, I noticed that my DWA-552 is not working, in fact, its not even registering as connected.  I opened up my computer, and made sure the hardware was securely connected; it was.  I checked the hardware manager, and nothing is being registered inside the PCI port that the card is plugged into.  I tried reinstalling the drivers, and all that happened was the installation was interrupted as it told me that my card was not installed physically.

I'm not entirely sure what to do here.  The card was working fine until August when I returned to college, and that leads me to believe that perhaps Cisco's software disabled my card somehow.  However, as reinstallation failed, I'm not entirely sure what else could be wrong besides the worst case scenario of a blown card.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or any suggestions to resolve the problem?  Thanks very much.

Hi AH1,

In case anything happened that may have corrupted Computer BIOS, have you checked Computer BIOS, to make sure the Card is not disabled in Computer Bios? Have you disabled the Ethernet Port while you are home with the computer?
Have you checked Device Manager and see if it reports anything wrong? Is it detected in the Device Manager?

Have you uninstalled the Cisco Secure Connect Client to see what happens? At home it was working fine. Go to School and use the Ethernet Port and install Cisco Secure Connect Client. Come home and it doesn't work.

Make sense?

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

AH1

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:06:39 PM »

Yes, I did try all that.  I also tried switching the PCI slot the card was in to no avail.  I just bought a new card, and it works fine.  I'm still not sure there is anything wrong with the old one though.  I'm going to try installing it in another PC.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:29:08 AM »

Yes, I did try all that.  I also tried switching the PCI slot the card was in to no avail.  I just bought a new card, and it works fine.  I'm still not sure there is anything wrong with the old one though.  I'm going to try installing it in another PC.

Hi AH1,

Did you remember to disable the Network Filter / Network Lock on the D-Link DIR-655 Router, just in case someone had to do a Factory Reset on the Router between visits?
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10