• June 03, 2024, 01:07:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Captive Portal on "Guest Zone"? (POLL)  (Read 7534 times)

trainee

• Level 1 Member
Captive Portal on "Guest Zone"? (POLL)
« on: November 28, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »

Would anyone be willing to describe what the "guest zone" looks like when someone connects?  Does it just connect, or do you get a captive portal type page with a terms-of-use agreement or the like?  In the best circumstance I would like to have a list of valid email addresses or names that I could give access to.  A sort of psuedo security, where someone would need to type their email address before they were granted access.  I wouldnt have to give full access to my network or tell anyone the key, but I also wouldnt have to worry about someone sitting outside in their car and using my internet.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:01:45 PM by trainee »

funchords

• Level 3 Member
Re: Captive Portal on "Guest Zone"?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:07:04 AM »

It looks like any other AP.  There is no "Front Porch" or terms of service or login screen.  Potential users simply need to match whatever security requirements you set when you set up the Guest Zone (e.g. from none or the correct WPA passphrase). 

trainee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »

Thanks for the information funchords.

I guess I would ask if anyone else would be interested in this functionality.  I figure most people can remember their email address, but everytime someone comes over, they have usually forgotten (and deleted for some reason) the passphrase to my network.  Happens to me too when I only visit places once a year or less, I may have changed laptops, or upgrade my wireless and lost my settings.  But I rarely change my email address.

trainee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:53:55 AM »

I added a poll, mostly to see if I am the only one even interested in this.