• June 03, 2024, 09:27:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WLAN  (Read 4703 times)

lneblett

• Level 1 Member
WLAN
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:30:43 PM »

Is it possible to use the Response Point system over a WLAN? A recent hurricane has forced us to deploy parts of our operation to temporary facilities. Of the three sites, only one has phone/internet service. All the sites are quite close, but far enough apart to prevent cabling from one to the other and the phone and cable companies will have to construct plant and also want to treat each as separate for billing purposes. The WLAN is 802.11g with excellent signal and bandwidth availability. The remote sites only house a few folks and the data loading is minimal. If we could put a phone or 2 at the client side with the base and gateway as the access point side (where the PTSN lines are located), we would have a viable alternative and avoid paying for construction of what will be temporary solutions. Of course, when we relocate back into a single facility, we would take the Response Point System with us and re-use the investment.

Thanks for any help/advise.

Mlachake

• Poweruser
  • Level 3 Member
Re: WLAN
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:26:58 AM »

The system is not wireless capable. It is, however, worth trying given that you do not have any other options. You may need to connect each device to a wireless client.

lneblett

• Level 1 Member
Re: WLAN
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:23:16 PM »

Well, I took the plunge and have it working...sort of. I have a pair of wireless G radios running between A&B and another pair between A&C, point A being the only location where we have PSTN lines. I initially started with three radios (one at each point) running in ad hoc client mode. While I could see the computers and phones at each end, the only place I could get any of the phones to register with the base was at the location where the D-Link base station is located (A).  The remote side phones would configure, but never register. I ultimately turned the network around and went back to a client and access point mode. This is when I installed the 4th radio and made each leg independent from the other. I established the access point ends at the remote sites (B & C) with the client side at point A. I can now get one phone to register and operate at each end (B & C) as well as a number of phones at A (where the base is located). 

What has me puzzled is that when searching for an additional phone at either B or C, no phone will show up in the RP administrator. If I try and ping the phone, it will not respond, but looking at the configuration of the phone itself reveals that it did pick up an address from the DHCP server. I even tried with another phone that was working at location A, but once at B or C,  the system will not find them nor can I ping them. I can ping and control any of the other phones that have already been resgistered, so it seems unlikely that it is a firewall or other system issue.

Any suggestions? I will play around some more with it, but quickly running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Larry