• April 26, 2024, 02:24:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't connect properly to Verizon/Frontier DHCP DSL  (Read 16975 times)

coveor

• Level 1 Member
Can't connect properly to Verizon/Frontier DHCP DSL
« on: January 31, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »

I have a DIR-655 (RevA) which I have been very happy with when used with a broadband wireless ISP.  We just recently obtained Frontier DSL and I want to use my already configured DIR-655 with the new service.  I have successfully bridged the Westell 7500 DSL modem provided by Frontier (DHCP server turned off, mode set to bridge-bridge.)  I tested this by attaching a laptop and verifying that it was assigned a WAN IP address and that I could ping resources on the Internet.

When I attach the DLink and start it up, it gets a WAN address and everything looks good, but I can not ping (from the router) to any resource on the Internet (by IP address), including the assigned gateway.  It goes without saying that computers attached to the DIR-655 are also unable to ping addresses on the Internet.  Oh, I have cloned the Westell modem's MAC address to the DLink router as well.

Does anyone know if there are any special settings in the DIR-655 that are required to work with Frontier/Verizon's DSL network?  Or compatibility issues?  Oh, and I've updated to the 1.35NA firmware.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Re: Can't connect properly to Verizon/Frontier DHCP DSL
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:54:04 PM »

I have a DIR-655 (RevA) which I have been very happy with when used with a broadband wireless ISP.  We just recently obtained Frontier DSL and I want to use my already configured DIR-655 with the new service.  I have successfully bridged the Westell 7500 DSL modem provided by Frontier (DHCP server turned off, mode set to bridge-bridge.)  I tested this by attaching a laptop and verifying that it was assigned a WAN IP address and that I could ping resources on the Internet.

When I attach the DLink and start it up, it gets a WAN address and everything looks good, but I can not ping (from the router) to any resource on the Internet (by IP address), including the assigned gateway.  It goes without saying that computers attached to the DIR-655 are also unable to ping addresses on the Internet.  Oh, I have cloned the Westell modem's MAC address to the DLink router as well.

Does anyone know if there are any special settings in the DIR-655 that are required to work with Frontier/Verizon's DSL network?  Or compatibility issues?  Oh, and I've updated to the 1.35NA firmware.

Hi coveor,

I don't care about pinging at all. Can you access the Westell Router when connected through the D-Link DIR-655 Router? Can you access the Internet?

Can you reach Web-pages like here?

You don't clone a Modem to the D-Link at all. I haven't.

Describe how each is connected to the other?

Don't turn off the DHCP Server on the Westell.
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

coveor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:38:37 AM »

What I'm trying to do is to make the Westell modem/router as transparent as possible.  By setting it to Bridge mode (instead of routed bridge), the DLink gets a WAN IP address and the Westell becomes just a modem (the router function is disabled.)  In order for this to work properly, DHCP on the Westell has to be turned off.  Many people are using the Westell in this way and, as I said, it works with a laptop.  For some reason, it only partially works with the DIR-655.

If I just connect the DIR-655 up to the Westell, leaving the router functionality and DHCP in place, it works fine, but I have NAT between the Westell and the DLink, which I would like to avoid.  What I have done for the moment is to setup static NAT to the DLink.  It's not the behavior I want, but it's working OK.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:40:32 AM »

Have you ensured that the Primary and 2ndary DNS IP addresses are being filled in under setup/internet/manual?

I would turn off Avanced DNS services if it's on and use the ISP DNS addresses that should be reported under the Status/Device Info/Wan section.

Bridging is preferred from the DSL Modem and turning off the DHCP server on the DSL modem is preferred especially for gaming. Having two servers introduces NAT issues and the 655 router cannot traverse the first router's NAT. Besides, most external routers have more features and options to use and are better for this.

I would also set up a Static IP address on the router for all of your devices. This helps in troubleshooting and setting up options and rules. If something should happen and you use DHCP, and the IP address changes, this breaks your options down the line and doesn't help in troubleshooting.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

coveor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »

Yes, the DNS servers are being setup correctly.  However, I can't ping any resource on the net by IP address, let alone by name.  From the router or from a computer connected to the router.  It's really odd.  You'd think that once you had a connection that enables WAN DHCP and successfully serves up an IP address, DNS servers, and gateway, that you could ping stuff. 

I'm wondering if the gateway is looking for something special from the router.  This is a very new DSL installation.  We've never had DSL in our area until this January.  They've just installed it.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:01:12 AM »

Possibly could be something on the ISP side. Other than pinging resources, is the router working well?

You might try turning off SPI to test. Not sure if that will work any. Try setting up SPI for TCP and UDP at Endpoint Independent. 
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »

What I'm trying to do is to make the Westell modem/router as transparent as possible.  By setting it to Bridge mode (instead of routed bridge), the DLink gets a WAN IP address and the Westell becomes just a modem (the router function is disabled.)  In order for this to work properly, DHCP on the Westell has to be turned off.  Many people are using the Westell in this way and, as I said, it works with a laptop.  For some reason, it only partially works with the DIR-655.

If I just connect the DIR-655 up to the Westell, leaving the router functionality and DHCP in place, it works fine, but I have NAT between the Westell and the DLink, which I would like to avoid.  What I have done for the moment is to setup static NAT to the DLink.  It's not the behavior I want, but it's working OK.

Hi coveor,

No, you need to leave the DHCP on, on the Westell. Put the D-Link Router in the DMZ of the Westell. Don't clone the Westell to the D-Link at all.

Turn off the Firewall on the Westell or set it at the lowest level.

I have Verizon Fios and their Router. I just Ping www.yahoo.com from a cmd Window with no packets lost.

The Westell must assign its own IP Address to the D-Link. It works just fine.

Don't over think it.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

coveor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »

You can't enable the DMZ feature of the Westell if the protocol is Bridged (as opposed to one of the PPP options.)  Trust me, I went for that option, but if your service is DHCP instead of PPPOE, as mine is, you can't do it.

Sorry, I agree that it's a very good idea...

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 02:21:17 PM »

Hi coveor,

Why not take the unit out of Bridge mode?

coveor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »

The Westell 7500 modem has two different settings that use the word "Bridge".  These are two different fields in the VC dialog.  The first is the Protocol field and you can choose between Bridge, PPPOE and PPPOA.  The second (Bridge Mode) allows you to choose between Bridged and Routed Bridge.  In fact, you won't even see the second one if the first one is set to PPPOE as you get the PPP login fields instead.

The first field (choose between Bridge, PPPOE or PPPOA) is determined by Frontier.  The option that I was setup for is "Bridge".  If you're setup for Bridge, you can't use the DMZ.  I haven't tried switching to PPPOE, but I assume that this isn't an option since Frontier didn't give me PPPOE credentials.  Might be worth a try...

coveor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »

OK, I've had it.   :'(

Plugged in an old Belkin router I had lying around (no change in Westell configuration) and it instantly obtained a WAN IP address and internet connectivity completely works.  So this DIR-655 is just incompatible with the bridged Westell configuration for some reason.  I've tried messing with so many settings and all to no-avail.  I've lost hours trying to make it work.   >:(

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 08:04:52 PM »

Do you have to use the Westell Modem or can you get your own?