• June 03, 2024, 05:13:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Difference between 1.21 and 1.21B05?  (Read 17253 times)

bananaman

• Level 2 Member
Difference between 1.21 and 1.21B05?
« on: September 22, 2008, 04:53:42 PM »

1.21 is up on the support site.

1.21B05 is up in the beta forums.

They are different sizes.

What is the difference?

bananaman

• Level 2 Member
Re: Difference between 1.21 and 1.21B05?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »

OK I found the note in the sticky:

**NOTE**
There is a 1.21_b04 on the support site. It is the exact same as the code here MINUS the Bsecure

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:11:07 AM »

Correct, I wanted to make sure that there was a firmware that didn't force the user to disable Securespot 2.0.
With the 04 build you'll have to disable it before you can get online, that or activate it at your own cost.

bspvette86

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:44:33 AM »

Correct, I wanted to make sure that there was a firmware that didn't force the user to disable Securespot 2.0.
With the 04 build you'll have to disable it before you can get online, that or activate it at your own cost.

Why not just have the new "feature" OFF by default?  <sigh>

BV

bananaman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 11:10:57 AM »

BV
I completely agree! I loaded up the SecureSpot variant by accident, and it is quite objectionable - it would not let me browse anywhere on the Internet until I had answered the SecureSpot questions. I have absolutely no interest in SecureSpot, having already chosen to secure my network another way. I quickly switched to the firmware without SecureSpot.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 11:19:14 AM »

It can be disabled from the UI of the router under the advanced tab and securespot

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 11:30:20 AM »

BV

It's a great feature for some people and a major extra for a router. Since it replaces workstation anti-virus etc. turning it on by default upholds the protection status of these people. Having protected sex only works when you use it every time... ;)
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

bspvette86

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 12:17:46 PM »

It's a great feature for some people and a major extra for a router. Since it replaces workstation anti-virus etc. turning it on by default upholds the protection status of these people. Having protected sex only works when you use it every time... ;)

EddieZ,
Oh I get it, protect us stewpid people from ourselves...  <sigh>  Just another scheme to make perpetual $$$ on the side selling services and cram some free advertisement down our throats as well.  I personally will not use it and have shut it off.  I want my wireless router to be an efficient wireless router not some over featured be-all do-all bloatware pig... 

Cheers!
BV

PS:  I can't believe the bad word checking on this site.  (hence the mis-spelling of stewpid)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:46:08 PM by bspvette86 »

AudiTuner

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 12:59:07 PM »

Just another scheme to make perpetual $$$ on the side selling services and cram some free advertisement down our throats as well.  I personally will not use it and have shut it off.

I also share your opinion.  Did I read something about not being able to connect to the internet until this "security feature" is diabled?  The whole idea of this is just wrong.

I believe companies call this gimmick as "product bundling" which translates from marketing Bulls***ese to common english as "an easy way to try to take advantage of consumers by aggressively pitching a service that they do not need."

If people stand by complacently and allow this to happen, companies will only get more aggressive with the way they push "added features" like this, with "added features" once again being bulls*** for "an uninspired way Company X can create revenue by using aggressive marketing tactics on complacent consumers."

This idea sucks.  If people don't object to these kind of aggressive marketing tactics, companies will continue to push this stuff even more aggressively until someone finally objects.  By that time things will be so out of hand it won't matter.  At some point you need to draw a line, sooner is better then later.

Thanks for the option of a firmware file without these new "feautures".  Will this option make it to DLink's main webpage where most consumers would look?  Or will it just be "bundled" into new products.

I just hope this is a legitimate update and not DLink Corporate's excuse to "intergrate" this garbage into existing products under the disguise of "bug fixes".

I'd also like to meet (as in face to face) the business geniuses who came up with this idea.  I really hope they didn't spend all that money on fancy (and expensive) specialized college degrees only to come up with a lame scheme like this!

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »

Hey, I won't use it either. But not everybody is a PC wiz and understands the importance of anti-virus and firewall protection. I guess the number of 'zombies' on the net proves my point. I agree, the feature serves a business purpose but I don't blame D-link for doing so though, they gotta make a living too. And I guess you guys don't work for the Salvation Army either..

From a security perspective the feature is pretty nice (if it works ofcourse, I don't know), and honestly, I've seen much more aggressive marketing techniques in the overall consumer market. This feature at least has an OFF switch (and a Securespot-less firmware version).
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 01:47:49 PM »

Hey guys, ITS AN OPTION. Don't use it. But to sit there and knock it because you don't like it isn't fair.
There are TONS of families out there that have children that need to be exposed to the internet.
Doing this enables them to see things of an adult nature. This software is a complete package that offers robust parental controls and virus scanning as well as email alerts and text message alerts.

If you don't like it, turn it off or use the firmware version that doesn't have it. No one is trying to trick you or force you to pay for anything. We like the options it offers and we decided to bundle it with our hardware.

I will be closely monitoring this thread. Please keep the topic to the point and positive. We are not the Man, and we are definitely not trying to keep you down.
-peas.

AudiTuner

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »

We are not the Man, and we are definitely not trying to keep you down.

:)

bspvette86

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 03:53:42 PM »

Hey guys, ITS AN OPTION. Don't use it. But to sit there and knock it because you don't like it isn't fair.
There are TONS of families out there that have children that need to be exposed to the internet.
Doing this enables them to see things of an adult nature. This software is a complete package that offers robust parental controls and virus scanning as well as email alerts and text message alerts.

If you don't like it, turn it off or use the firmware version that doesn't have it. No one is trying to trick you or force you to pay for anything. We like the options it offers and we decided to bundle it with our hardware.

I will be closely monitoring this thread. Please keep the topic to the point and positive. We are not the Man, and we are definitely not trying to keep you down.
-peas.

Option/Feature, call it what you want.  It should NOT default to being turned on and that was my point.

Regards,
BV

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »

The idea was to inform the user of it's availability. Besides it's acting as your firewall and in control of your router, when it's on it has to direct the user to the configuration page.
There should be a link shortly on the page that pops up that will allow the user to disable the feature without logging in to the router.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:10:35 PM by Lycan »

Rad Spencer

• Capt.
  • Level 2 Member
  • Master D's Going Down!
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 09:09:45 AM »

It's funny how "power users" want to limit features to devices because THEY don't like them.
The Securespot 2.0 is great. It adds a host of features to the router that allow me to monitor my kids and add a level of security to my network that I didn't have before.

If you are so savvy at networking and do not require it's services turn it off. Blaming D-Link for trying to make money is silly. They are in BUSINESS, there are employees that need to eat just like you. Partnerships like this happen every day. I love how computer savvy people believe they should get everything for free. Like because they bought a router, they should get all the upgrades for free. If you buy a car and that car comes with a manual transmission one year, then an automatic the next, you can't take the car back and ask for the newer transmission can you?

If dlink started the new option off, 2/3rd's of the people that are out there would never even know it excisted. Instead because you don't like it, you want the feature to start disabled? Is it too difficult to click ONE check box?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:15:06 AM by Lycan »
Yeah, over to disposal area. Heroes always look good.
Pages: [1] 2