• June 15, 2024, 11:21:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DLNA from WLAN client (VAIO) to LAN client (PS3)  (Read 6576 times)

Ker76

• Level 1 Member
DLNA from WLAN client (VAIO) to LAN client (PS3)
« on: October 08, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »

Hi there,

I have a laptop connected to the DIR-685 via WiFi/WLAN and a PS3 wired into the DIR-685 via cable. No matter what I do, the DLNA servers present on the computer do not show up on the PS3 (those servers are WMP 12 and VAIO Media Plus, all set up fine).

However, by simply connecting the laptop to the DIR-685 via LAN, the PS3 almost immediately detects the DLNA sources on the laptop and streaming works perfectly fine. I changed nothin else, neither on the laptop nor in the router setup (firewall is also working, Mcafee).

So somehow the DLNA servers cannot pass from WiFi to LAN. Does anyone have an idea on how to change this?

Btw: the DLNA server present in the DIR-685 - the original reason for buying this faulty thing - does ont work at all and I wonŽt waste anymore time on it...

Regards,

Ker

ioniq

• Level 1 Member
Re: DLNA from WLAN client (VAIO) to LAN client (PS3)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:19:11 PM »

Hi Ker76,
I don't know if you maybe already solved your problem, but I might have an idea of what's wrong.
You say that your DLNA servers are configured fine, no objections, you might however check something in their configuration:
What is the IP / interface you chose in the configuration? Because your WiFi adapter and your LAN adapter on the laptop have different MAC addresses and most likely are assigned different IPs when connected to the router. In order to make the DLNA servers stream on both IPs, you must either enter both of them in the configuration (if it is allowed), either enter 0.0.0.0, then they will stream on all available interfaces.
I will bring an example for clarity:
WiFi adapter gets the IP 192.168.1.7 assigned, and the LAN adapter gets 192.168.1.8.
If you configured DLNA servers to stream on 192.168.1.8, then this is the only IP it will ever use, so it can never use 192.168.1.7 when you connect it through the WiFi. If you use 0.0.0.0, DLNA servers will stream on both of them.
Hope this helps
P.S.: to my knowledge, PS cannot have any knowledge what are the DLNA servers behind on their end, WiFi or LAN, this is why I think the problem is at the source of the stream.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:21:55 PM by ioniq »

Ker76

• Level 1 Member
Re: DLNA from WLAN client (VAIO) to LAN client (PS3)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »

HI ioniq,

thank you for your answer, I actually refound it only due to a reference pointing to this thread (and especially your answer). IŽll try your solution by entering 0.0.0.0 and post if that solves the problem. It definitely wonŽt solve another problem of the DIR-685: its own DLNA server (to stream the data present on the DIR-685s internal  hdd) doesnŽt seem to work well, its almost impossible to use it.

Thanks again,

ker