• June 03, 2024, 01:18:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: My Experience With This Card...  (Read 3458 times)

Andji

• Level 1 Member
My Experience With This Card...
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »

when i first bought this card, i had a Rev A3 which was DOA so i returned it and got a Rev A2 instead.

i've read many many reviews about DOA and i figured im not that unlucky, well i was.  if at first it doesn't work, return it and get another one. dont waste time like i did.

i installed it on to two of my XP SP2 machines at home.  both took some trouble shooting because of bluescreens, freezes, card not installed, blah blah blah, all the things we've seen so far.  but i figured i'd share to everyone what fixed it for me.  both machines had different mobo, cpu, video cards, but the thing that had it common was the sound blaster live card they had.  once i removed it, the card installed fine with no problems at all.  used the latest artheos drivers. so that's something to keep in mind... maybe it's drivers from the card that causes issues, or maybe sound cards themselves... im not sure...

as for performance, i have my DIR-655 in the living room, about 25-30 feet away from the router, through two walls, i could only get 108mbps (reported from the router) and about 30% signal strength.  i also have the ANT24-0230 connected to it.  the speed was very disappointing because i have a DWA-140 and i tested it on the same machine and it was reporting 162-216mbps...

im mainly posting this up because when i was looking around, i could never find a clear cut solution for all the problems people were having and what kind of performance they were getting... well i hope this helps someone :)

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Re: My Experience With This Card...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »

Hi Andji,

I installed this card on my Wireless Computer with Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. Right now I have only the drivers installed from the 160 drivers posted on the D-Link Support Website.

No Blue Screens of Death.

You might want to install XP Service Pack 3 on your XP computers.

It might stop the Blue Screen of Death.

Only install the drivers, not the Utility. It Utility has caused me Blue Screen of Death, not the drivers.
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10