• June 04, 2024, 09:08:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: A few home networking issues....  (Read 3013 times)

Skyline969

• Level 1 Member
A few home networking issues....
« on: June 08, 2010, 07:40:15 PM »

Okay, this is a fairly long story, so bear with me.

I have two routers - a DIR-628 (Wireless N Dual Band) and a WBR-1310 (Wireless G). For reference purposes, I will refer to the routers by the SSIDs I have given them - Logan for the DIR-628 and Baron for the WBR-1310. Anyways, Baron has been set to disable wireless, and its IP is 192.168.0.2. Logan's is 192.168.0.1. Baron has the cable from the modem plugged into its WAN port and has an Ethernet cable running to Logan. The cable is plugged into LAN port #1 on Logan. Logan is set to use Baron's MAC address for the DHCP Internet connection type, where Baron is set to use the DNS servers of my Internet provider. Both are set for DHCP servers. To avoid conflicts, Logan hands out IP addresses from 192.168.0.155 to 192.168.0.199 where Baron hands out 192.168.0.5 to 192.168.0.154. Logan is set up to broadcast wireless and has WEP encryption enabled (Don't tear into me about how unsafe WEP is, this is in a rural area where nobody knows how to hack WEP). Anyways, with this setup my laptop is connected via an Ethernet cable to Logan via LAN port #4. Internet works 100%, as does it with the 3 computers hooked up to Baron. However, if I unplug the Ethernet cable and turn on Wifi, connecting to Logan and providing the proper credentials, I can connect but I have no Internet access.

What am I doing wrong here? I feel that I'm very close, and that I'm only a few settings off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: To add insult to injury, recently I have been unable to access certain websites, like Facebook and Google. I highly doubt I have a virus, seeing as how I get the same result in Linux and Windows.

EDIT(2): Well, what do you know! I completely disabled the DHCP server on Logan and everything is working 100%, including Wi-Fi! Sorry to post this topic and then have nobody answer, but I guess it can be good reference material for others who encounter a similar issue.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:37:06 PM by Skyline969 »

chefnee

• Level 1 Member
Re: A few home networking issues....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:44:15 PM »

I think lots of people are having the same issues a you are having. I being one of them.  In the manual, if anyone still reads them, there is a section in it instructs how to connect to another router.  1 being a wired router, while making the other a wireless AP.  Matter of fact it is on page 14 of 104 in the manual.  If anyone wants the manual you can go to this website:

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir628/Manual/dir628_manual_120.zip

It's actually the manual download itself.  BE WARNED!! It's a huge file (about 17 MB) for those with not so fast broadband.

In the spirit of helping others, I hope this helps:)