• June 04, 2024, 11:24:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA 556 + DAP 2590 + firmware for dap2590 (1.13) = no dns resolution  (Read 8078 times)

santoniuk

• Level 1 Member

So I upgraded my DAP-2590 to the latest firmware which is 1.13. I have a Pc that has windows 7 64 bit and a DWA 556. Upon upgrading the firmware, the PC with the NIC no longer is able to resolve DNS. I could ping and it would resolve the IP but fail to return pings.

No matter what I tried, I could not browse a single web page, log into a single IM client, do a windows update, or even RDP. The second I plugged in a wired connection, I was fine.

Occasionally I was able to pull up a page by IP but it would be sporadic.

The second I downgraded back to 1.10, I was able to resolve and browse just fine.

Now I did not wipe the AP's settings and start fresh so perhaps there is a problem there? Every other device on my network that is wireless could resolve just fine however so I am thinking it is combination of the DWA and DAP with that firmware.

My security is WPA2 with the SSID broadcasting. I tried all the latest drivers for the DWA including the Atheros ones.

Sorry for putting this here but you guys have no forum for us DAP-2590 owners.

dawn7878

• Level 1 Member
Re: DWA 556 + DAP 2590 + firmware for dap2590 (1.13) = no dns resolution
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 08:09:02 AM »

I agree that a DAP-2590 forum is needed!  Ironically, I was unable to find this post by using D-link’s search for DAP-2590, rather a google page directed me here.  That may be another reason why the responses are lacking.

First a little history on what brings me to the forum.  We aren’t connected to the internet, but use the Ethernet as a means of transmitting data from various pieces of equipment back to a PC.  I was using 1.10 running some high speed digital video equipment.  I had dropout problems using the device in WDS mode.  After numerous calls to tech support and many setting changes, we are still having the problem.  I believe it to be in the firmware because it shows in the WDS status that the other units are there, and even refreshes showing their signal strength.  When they are hung up in this mode, they will not answer a ping.  They can be fixed by logging in and hitting the scan button.  Since this is in an industrial setting and that would have to be done by an operator, it makes it even more undesirable. 

When I upgraded the firmware to 1.13 trying to fix this issue, I was only able to view 1 of 4 camera images and it was poor quality and would occasionally drop out.  I had to revert back to 1.10 as well.  I did the firmware upgrade by first backing up the settings, loading the firmware, then reinstalling the settings.  It sounds like firmware 1.13 is still very buggy.

jameshaworth

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 01:53:50 AM »

I am using three DAP-2590's and it has been an absolute nightmare since we purchased them.

I already had them exchanged once. They often just suddenly start refusing connections. Also when I ping it or another device on the network, I get around 1 in 60 loss or long delay, causing havoc if you're trying to use a Remote Desktop or VNC session.

I'm not pleased with D-Link's lack of help either, they don't seem to know how to solve these issues.

There definitely needs to be a DAP-2590 forum! :(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:32:45 AM by jameshaworth »

santoniuk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:51:30 AM »

I am using three DAP-2590's and it has been an absolute nightmare since we purchased them.

I already had them exchanged once. They often just suddenly start refusing connections. Also when I ping it or another device on the network, I get around 1 in 60 loss or long delay, causing havoc if you're trying to use a Remote Desktop or VNC session.

I'm not pleased with D-Link's lack of help either, they don't seem to know how to solve these issues.

There definitely needs to be a DAP-2590 forum! :(

Turn off short gi and wmm. If you use N, make sure auto 20/40 MHz is on. These aren't suggestions, they are requirements to get the 2590 to be stable. Those first two options should be removed as they are detrimental to wireless.

jameshaworth

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 07:19:19 AM »

Hi santoniuk,

Thanks for your suggestions. I had already turned off Short GI and turned on 20/40 MHz, but I left WMM enabled.

I'll try disabling WMM anyway.

I've discovered that a periodical reboot prevents these issues from occurring. Some devices do have a scheduled reboot option, and I think this would be a good feature of the DAP-2590. In the meantime, I'm using timer plugs to turn them off and on every morning.