• April 26, 2024, 08:39:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Wireless N Adapter not connecting  (Read 11782 times)

the_real_7

• Level 1 Member
Xbox 360 Wireless N Adapter not connecting
« on: April 23, 2010, 07:32:21 AM »

just a few weeks ago i was having alot of problems 1.33 na flash , my router was not holding the setting in the port forwarding , so I went back to 121 without share port network seem fined and been running great now i just move to a townhouse and router is on second floor and i use two xbox 360s to stream movies , the one on first floor seemed a bit far so I bought a Xbox 360 Wireless N Networking Adapter , and while it get 4 bars it just wont to connect correctly and gives me all kinds of issues , when i hook up old G adapter I get slow stream connectionS from netflix with 2 bars , should i do go back to 1.33 and try that I dunno and Im frustrated , also I'm hooked up to this garbage 2wire (2701HG-B) from AT@T and i have it set to bridge but it broadcasting a signal around the house , i tried to find instruction how to bridge correctly , but it seems to be a mission with this dsl modem , my last one the motorola 2010 work fine but was a bit slower.. help help  ???
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:35:21 AM by the_real_7 »

SomeFatGuy

• Level 2 Member
Re: Xbox 360 Wireless N Adapter not connecting
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »

I have the exact set-up as you. I had problems with 1.33 dropping connections so I downgraded to 1.21 and all has been peachy. Playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has had no lag whatsoever. Streaming from netflix is fine, I even stream WMV-HD files from my computer with 10mbps bitrate no problems.

Mine is a A4 running downgraded firmware 1.21 with NO securespot

I can tell you the settings I'm using so you can try them.

PS. Do yourself a favor...don't go past 1.21

the_real_7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:58:29 PM »

hwy dude thanx for response , so its not the 1.21 huh can you please help me with some settings , cuase for god know both x boxes don't wanna play nice
Channel Width :  20MHz 
 WISH :   Active 
                     Rate    signal
802.11n (2.4GHz)   2   32%    ughhhhhh

SomeFatGuy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:12:01 PM »

First off what encryption are you using? I found that my Xbox likes WPA2 and not WPA. When I hook my up my PC with WPA2 it's exactly the opposite.

I use a static ip address, WISH off, QoS on, DNS relay off, pick a channel, and Auto WPA (WPA and WPA2)

Wireless Radio :  Enabled
802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
Channel Width : 20MHz
Channel : 1
Secondary Channel :  
WISH : Inactive
Wi-Fi Protected Setup : Enabled/Configured

Let me know how it goes.

Also,  I get a 66-72% signal and 78-115Mbps
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:14:23 PM by SomeFatGuy »

the_real_7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:54:44 AM »

hmm I have no static ip address but I do have channel 9 selected as 1 wasn't good here , all other settings same as yours except for wish is enabled , My security is WPA2 AES

Wireless Radio :  Enabled
802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
Channel Width : 20MHz
Channel : 9
Secondary Channel : 4
WISH : active
Wi-Fi Protected Setup : Enabled/Configured

39 Mbps  30% signal

Ronneske

• Level 2 Member
    • Ron's radio stations (smooth jazz mainly)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 11:37:32 AM »

Think your signal level is low. For wireless this will reduce the througput severely as it will revert back to lower levels of Mb automatically.

Try to improve this signal level.

the_real_7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »

is there anyway to raise the level of the signal from the router

SomeFatGuy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:39:37 PM »

Click the "Advanced" tab on the top, then click on the "Advanced Wireless" on the left. I have my transmit power on high.

Also, try to manually set up your connection through the Xbox. Try to put WPA instead of WPA2 as the encryption type. See what happens. I have a USB wireless adapter on my PC and if I configure it to WPA2 the throughput takes a dive. The router will say it's connected with wireless G and my PC says it's connected with wireless N.

Don't know but give it a shot.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 11:10:01 PM »

WPA2 consumes more cpu (on both router and your pc/xbox adapter) because of more complex encryption, and regular re-setup of security. It is a trade-off between security and performance.

Do not fall into the trap of the WPA2/WPA Auto setting, choose either WPA2 or WPA as the auto setting mostly will go for WPA, not WPA2.

If signal level (default max - 100%) is not good enough, try to limit amount of walls and angle trough walls. You can probably also buy/build antenna-extenders to boost output. This antenna-thing is mostly on Wireless-G, but they can also be found for Wireless-N.

Encryption-level makes a difference in performance, but signal-levels are much more important. How far is the xbox-adapter from the router, and can you arrange line-of-sight between XBOX Wireless-N adapter and Router?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:11:33 PM by Mackerel »

Ronneske

• Level 2 Member
    • Ron's radio stations (smooth jazz mainly)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 02:47:41 AM »

Antennas have nothing to do with G/N mode or whatever future invention.

They are just antennas.

Try to get an open line of sight or put the router at a higher place.
An investigate of it is feasible to get a wired cable to the other device location.
In the end wireless is always more sensible to external factors.

kthaddock

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »

ASUS RT-N16  FW: DD-WRT v24 17140-vpn M NEWD-2 K2.6 -kong.
DIR-655 H/W: A3 FW: 1.31EUB02 This FW is working !
Never argue with a burk. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Di-624+ FW: 2.10

the_real_7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 05:11:01 PM »

thanks for the responses , but i believe now this router just does not like n devices , as i put the g antenna xbox right nest to the n one for testing purposes and the g unit work fine and the n one barely connects , I also did a second test with the N adapter on my usb dongle for my samsung tv same issues ... I say if your using a g connection this router is great , but it is a subpar n router

SomeFatGuy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »

I run a wireless N network to the Xbox and believe it or not this router has given me a better signal than ever before.

I first had a Linksys WRT54G running G and I got 1 bar signal on the Xbox

Next I had a Netgear WNDR3300 running G and I got 2-3 bars on the Xbox

Now I have one of these running N and I got 3-4 bars with 1.33 and now a solid 4 bars with 1.21

It works for me but it looks as if it's not for you. I'm sorry to hear that.

the_real_7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 07:12:40 AM »

Hey Mr S F G

Ok i see your using 1.21 and it worked better than 1.33 so for sure that your getting 4 bars , let me ask you what version router do you have I have a A2 so its a older version not sure if it matters...

ok heres my new plan Ill move it to the room over the living room where the xbox 360 with low signal is , and Ill get a wirelss adapter for my pc where the router is hooked to know that way I shouldn't lose any performance , any recommended N adapters for this router combo , to work with my pc

SomeFatGuy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 12:47:45 PM »

I have the A4 hardware version.

I use a linksys WUSB300N and it works for me. Got it for like $30 at newegg. Works great.