• March 28, 2024, 04:22:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Using Shareport with DIR-655 and Windows 7  (Read 25317 times)

Kresten112

• Level 1 Member
Using Shareport with DIR-655 and Windows 7
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »

After spending countless hours trying to get Shareport to work with my router and laptop, I finally succeeded and thought I'd leave my insights in the forum.

First, a little context:
Router: DIR-655 / FW: 1.21EU A4
Shareport: v. 1.14

Bought the DIR-655 a few months ago, downloaded Shareport 1.14 so as to connect with my external Western Digital HDD thorugh the router. Everything worked fine from the start on my old laptop with XP SP3, but when trying to do the same installation on my new laptop (Win 7 Pro x64) I ran into the same troubles as many others in the forum. No matter what I did, Shareport could not find my ext. HDD.

After a lot of research in this and other forums, everything seemed to point to a firewall issue. Anyway, here is what I did:

1. First, I allowed the Shareport Utllity to pass through Windows' firewall (Control panel --> Windows Firewall --> Click "Allow program to pass thorugh Windows firewall" in the left menu --> Select another program (bottom of page) --> Choose "Shareport Network USB Utility" --> tjeck "Private" in the network columns --> Click OK and exit.

2. I added an exception rule to the firewall: Click "Advanced settings" in the left menu --> Click "Inbound rules" --> Click "New rule" --> Choose Port (next) --> Choose UDP and write 9303 in the local ports field (next) --> choose "allow connection" (default) (next) --> Tjeck "Domain" and "Private" --> Write a name for the rule and click complete.

3. In addition, I syncronised the routers clock with my laptops clock (by using the same time server - I used time-b.nist.gov on both), but this may not be needed (I did it in advance follwing advice from another posting in the forum).

Anyway, the above three points did the trick for me - suddenly, the HDD popped up in Shareport and so far, everything is working fine.

If you are successful as well, post a reply, so as to help our friends at D-Link.

Good luck

/Kresten

coolqf

• Level 1 Member
Re: Using Shareport with DIR-655 and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:23:12 PM »

I too use Shareport with the DIR-655 and with Windows 7 64bit.  I use SharePort 3.0

joe254

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »

Could you provide details on how/where to find Shareport 3.0?  I have looked all over the DLink site and can not find it.

Thanks!

TheGram

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:20:13 AM »

;D Bless your heart! After countless hours of pulling my hair out in exasperation, you, have finially solved one of my problems.  Now if I could just fingure out how to share folders on my network I would have it just like I want.  I don't know why it needs to be so difficult.  But, Thank you so much for posting the answer.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 06:32:39 PM »

GRRRRRR.....

Thought I was almost gonna be doing the happy dance...but no joy....

Using Win 7 Pro x64 on my dir-655 I am getting odd photo printing where it will print maybe one photo but then start spitting out half or a thrid printed images and then the other part on a second or thris page in psycodelic colors or even monochrome.....  I have posted on the other thread where the OP seems to also have this issue but on a different printer entirely....

Dave
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

ka

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »

i too found it v.difficult to  locate the shareport 3.0 utility:

iin dlink.com: clk on "product quick find" in the top R corner, and choose dir-655
in top right corner click on "support resources".
then clk "additional downloads".
it'll show you a subframe in which you can download dlink toolbar,
then below that mac shareport utility (3.0) then below that (scroll down) : PC shareport 3.0.

shanju2107

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:45:33 PM »

i was also looking for shareport 3 for my windows 7...

but somehow its not working..

can u guys help me out about this problem..

plz help

beneath.nylon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »

You are not alone.  I have Brother DCP-7030.  When connected to the Shareport, i was also getting odd blank pages printing even though my document was only one page.

Using Win 7 x64, Vista x86 and XP netbook.

I have since removed the printer from the Shareport and just plug into the printer via USB when required. SIGH

GRRRRRR.....

Thought I was almost gonna be doing the happy dance...but no joy....

Using Win 7 Pro x64 on my dir-655 I am getting odd photo printing where it will print maybe one photo but then start spitting out half or a thrid printed images and then the other part on a second or thris page in psycodelic colors or even monochrome.....  I have posted on the other thread where the OP seems to also have this issue but on a different printer entirely....

Dave

Everett4

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:49:49 AM »

Sharepoint 3.0

From Dlink

PC

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/shareport/pc_shareport_utility_300.zip

MAC OS

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/shareport/mac_shareport_utility_300.zip

Good luck.  Lots of people say it works for them on WIN 764, but it does not for me, i am currently looking into why this is.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:58:58 AM by Everett4 »

cbassett03

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »

I use SharePort 3.0 with the firmware 1.34N with my DIR-655 and it works fine (I'm using Win7 x64).  What I did:

After installing the hardware and wires and SharePort, I set my firewall to an interactive mode, which would prompt me and warn me about various programs connecting to the Internet, rather than its default automatic learning mode.

From there, I would allow it to detect the port that SharePort wants to use to communicate with the OS, and said to allow it, plus you will have to allow traffic to and from your router via it's IP address (by default this is 192.168.0.1).

I also had to change a setting in the printer properties in the Windows control panel, so that Windows would print directly to the printer, and not using any printer pooling or print job queing.  I then also set SharePort to reconnect when available, and if an error occurs (and just to be safe, I set the default disconnect time after a job is sent to the printer to its highest setting, 300).

Hopefully this helps, and gives you some reassurance that SharePort v3.0 for PC does work with Windows 7, 64-bit.

EdwinDonald

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 08:21:52 PM »

i was also looking for shareport 3 for my windows 7...

but somehow its not working..

can u guys help me out about this problem..

plz help

??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:41:19 PM by EdwinDonald »

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 09:13:29 AM »

You are not alone.  I have Brother DCP-7030.  When connected to the Shareport, i was also getting odd blank pages printing even though my document was only one page.

Using Win 7 x64, Vista x86 and XP netbook.

I have since removed the printer from the Shareport and just plug into the printer via USB when required. SIGH

Same deal here with a Brother HL-1230. Works fine on my XP PC's on Shareport but if I try to print more than one page on a windows 7 PC I get endless pages with one line of garbled text per page. Connect it directly to my windows 7 PC though USB and it prints fine. And when I say it prints fine on my XP PC's what I mean is, after I reboot the router so Shareport will connect again after the random time out that is built into every version.