• June 15, 2024, 10:44:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problems with DWA-552 and Windows XP SP3  (Read 7115 times)

grrr

• Level 1 Member
Problems with DWA-552 and Windows XP SP3
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:03:40 PM »

I'm working on a friends computer (HP Prosario S5000V with 512 MB RAM and a Celeron 2.5 GHz CPU) trying to get a wireless connection working.  Was running Windows XP Home SP2.  The PC is at my house and connected to my B/G router which is a Linksys WRT54GL.  Router is 10 feet away from the PC.  Ultimate plan to take it back to her house and connect it to a Netgear Wireless-N 150 router.

I installed the DWA-552 into an open PCI slot and installed the drivers and manager that came with the card  on the CD.  I'm able to see my network and a few of the neighbors.  I can enter my WPA2 key and connect and get an IP address.

I started a constant ping to my DNS server and I'm getting good response times.  Open an IE7 browser, connect to the Internet and I start having problems.  My pings go from good response times to Hardware Error to Destination host unavailable.  At this point I can no longer see ANY wireless networks in either the dlink wireless manager or the built in Windows wireless manager.  The only way to "fix" it is to reboot the PC which only works for 60 seconds and the problem repeats.

On a whim I put a new HD in and installed XP Pro SP3 from scratch with the latest driver from the web site and I'm having the same problem as above.

Can anyone help me out or point me to something that will fix this. 

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Re: Problems with DWA-552 and Windows XP SP3
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:55:04 PM »

Hi grrr,

Add more Memory. The computer has too little memory, according to your post.

Don't install the D-Link Wireless Manager!!!! Just  install the card drivers.

Read the posts on this forum.
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

kannibal25

• Level 1 Member
Re: Problems with DWA-552 and Windows XP SP3
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »

Honestly, don't install anything from Dlink.. believe me, you're in for some sleepless nights if you choose to go that route.

I've actually had a similar situation to yours and found the solution on this board in that you forgoe all Dlink Proprietary software and install the Atheroes chipset client software instead.

My experience with Dlink's x32 and x64 drivers drove me mad, swapped out 2 USB Thumbsticks and the DWA 522 and ALWAYS failed when using the included software.. best result was actually seeing my network.. and my router at that point was 5 inches away from the PC... and I still couldn't connect to the network.

Removed all Dlink software, rebooted, installed the Atheros software.. BOOM! Up and running now 5+ hours without a drop.

I wish I could remember which thread the drivers were located on, think there were 2 that pointed to the same place (another forum), but i do know its on the first page here.