• June 15, 2024, 10:59:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Troubles with VPN Subnet Mask  (Read 12902 times)

jdwinterton

• Level 1 Member
Troubles with VPN Subnet Mask
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:49:02 PM »

DIR-330 Firmware Version 1.12

I've recently purchased the DIR-330 solely for the VPN Server.
My father-in-law and I wanted to set it up in such a way that we could play CO-OP games together.
Essentially there are multiple systems on my LAN that will be playing the same game, and we want him to be able to VPN in and join up as well...
However, after successfully setting up the server and being able to browse each others shares (by IP address, of course), we found out that the subnet mask of the VPN tunnel is 255.255.255.255 - ultimately putting it on a completely different broadcast address than what my LAN is using: 255.255.255.0 so when a LAN game is created - he cannot join it because his system isn't picking up the broadcast.

(a) Is there a way to configure the router to not throw away UDP packets through the VPN connection?
(b) Could we possibly add a route to the "Advanced-Routing" section?

Windows 7 is on all the machines in this attempted setup. Using the default VPN client on that OS as well.

Here's how the router is set up:

Router IP: 192.168.0.1
DHCP:      192.168.0.100-150

VPN PPTP Server IP: 192.168.0.50
Remote IP Range:     192.168.0.51-52

Any help at this stage would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:02:48 PM by jdwinterton »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Troubles with VPN Subnet Mask
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:29:20 AM »

Broadcast traffic is not passed over a PPTP VPN normally (hence why you need to access Windows shares by IP [windows name resolution happens over broadcast]).  The problem isn't UDP, but broadcast, if that is how games are discovered.  What game are you trying to set up, perhaps I can look into how it is networked and we might be able to find the culprit.
non progredi est regredi

jdwinterton

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:53:02 AM »

PM sent; thanks for your assistance.

tw529

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:20:53 AM »

I have a similar question.  Upon connecting through VPN, I cannot access the DIR-130's admin page.  I assume that the router is denying the connection because the home network is on subnet 255.255.255.0 and the VPN is on subnet 255.255.255.255.  Obviously, I do not have remote administration turned on and do not want to until the router can support SSL logins (I believe firmware 1.20 will address this, but I do not like to use beta).  Previously I had used a Windows Server box for PPTP logins, but I purchased the DIR-130 for the energy savings compared to a full computer.  Is there a way to allow for administration through the VPN?  Thanks for any help.

teknocat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »

You cannot use a pptp connection to login the admin page. I know you can if you use a site to site tunnel. I think you can if you use a ipsec client....

jdwinterton

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 05:47:59 PM »

Broadcast traffic is not passed over a PPTP VPN normally (hence why you need to access Windows shares by IP [windows name resolution happens over broadcast]).  The problem isn't UDP, but broadcast, if that is how games are discovered.  What game are you trying to set up, perhaps I can look into how it is networked and we might be able to find the culprit.

Any luck yet?

tw529

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »

I also want to use the VPN for gaming.  Will the SSL VPN be able to do this?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:17:31 AM »

Unfortunately, I have no info on how that game is networked in particular (I am unsure why you PMed the game name to me so I am going to be mysterious about it for the time being).  And unfortunately it is not one I have a copy of, there is not a whole lot of info on it from my quick google search.

There is nothing unique about gaming traffic over a VPN.  As long as your traffic would route over a router, it should route over a VPN, that said the amount of broadcast traffic used for gaming could be problematic.  Also I wouldn't game over VPN if I can avoid it, it is too latency sensitive as a whole and that encryption overhead is nasty.  The only games I would use VPN for are old (non-IPX) games that do not have an online play method available and should have modest latency and bandwidth requirements.
non progredi est regredi

jdwinterton

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:31:19 PM »

Well - we were able to create a system to system VPN using Windows 7 and we could successfully connect to each others machines that way as long as we used a "ForceBind" command to force the game to use a certain IP address - I just had thought a simple route added to the routers routing table itself would allow this same sort of traffic that we created with the ForceBind command. Thoughts?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:31:13 AM »

Forcebind will place all traffic (including broadcast traffic) from a particular program on an interface, and if your other VPN was a VPN type that allows you to tunnel L2 traffic (such as PPTP) then it may have allowed you to tunnel your L2 broadcast traffic where that would not be possible with this equipment.  That said L2 broadcast traffic cant be routed over a router.

I do not know what type of traffic is the issue, this is all supposition without more info than I have.
non progredi est regredi