• June 03, 2024, 03:51:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DHCP Not assigning IPs to wired connections  (Read 22259 times)

EmPleh

• Level 1 Member
DHCP Not assigning IPs to wired connections
« on: February 01, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »

Hi all, this is my first post and my last resort! Hopefully someone can give me some advice or confirm if my 4300 is done for and time for a replacement.

A brief back ground, I have recently moved from the UK to Germany. I bought my DGL 4300 and a modem with me, just in case. The place I am staying at didnt have wireless and so I set up the 4300, no problem with my wireless laptop.

I tried to connect my 360 directly to the router, with a cable, but it had no joy. I didn't look into it much and set up my laptop as a bridge. But I have been trying to get the wired connection to work today.

After some playing around, it turns out the router is not assigning IPs to wired devices. It just assigns them a 169.xxx.xxx.x ip, which I believe is some sort of 'quarantined' type of IP.

I have done every thing from router restore to updating the firmaware to 1.9. But whenever I connect a wired device to the router, nothing happens.

Anyone have any ideas? Below is a transcript from another forum. No one else can help me so I thought I would try here as a last resort!

Thanks!

I have a really frustrating problem with my 360 connecting to my network.

I have recently moved to Germany and brought my wireless router and modem with me, the modem wasn't needed as the place already has one. Used the router to connect to the modem, no problem. Got wireless working with my laptop and then tried to connect my 360 to the router.

This is the same router I used to use in the UK and had always worked fine, however, when I connected it to the 360 to the router, I couldnt connect to Live.

I have tried everything in the router settings (I am normally perfectly fine with networking things) I have even reserved the Xboxs MAC address to be automatically assigned a static IP. I have set the same static IP address on the 360 and it wont connect to the router. I have even tried putting that IP address in a 'DMZ' so it avoids all of the firewall. It doesn't seem to be actually 'obtaining' the IP address anymore. Even though on the router page it shows it as a connected device.

Also, if I set the Xbox to be manually assigned an IP, it always gets assigned '169.254.97.27' which isn't even the same range as my network IP (which should be 192.168.0.x) so I have no idea what this is meaning. Also, when the Xbox is assigned to manually obtain an IP, in the log for the router it say 'Assigned new lease 192.168.0.165 to client 00125A4F3A47' that client is the 360, but on the 360 the ip address is always '169.254.97.27'. Then the log for the router gives me warning of 'Blocked packet from 169.254.97.27 to 224.0.0.22 that was received from the wrong network interface (IP address spoofing)' so to me, it seems the Xbox isn't actually receiving the assigned IP address, for some reason.

And it is now beyond me, can anyone help?

The router in question is a DGL-4300 D Link Gaming Router.

Edit to say, I can make the xbox connect to Live if I connect it via my laptop and use that as a bridge.

-------------------------------

Supamatt wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 17:16

Is there not some sort of master reset you can do on the xbox, just in case there's something in there screwing up.

I know you can do a 'clear cache' that used to solve a few problems, could be worth a try. I cant remember how to do it, but google should sort you out.

Good idea, I can try that at least.

I am not sure if its a setting in the router, but something is very odd. I remember reading somewhere that when an appliance gets assigned an odd ip (like '169.254.97.27') it is in a sort of 'quarantined' area where it is not allowed to access anything, just is given a sort of temporary idea.

Come on networking geeks, help me out.

-----------------------------
chaplic wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 17:38

The 169 address is called an APIPA address - assigned when the machine cannot find a DHCP server.

The fact the DHCP server (the router) is logging that it's dishing out the IP address to the XBOX suggest there's something screwy with the XBOX. Can you manually assign the XBOX the IP address it'd get from DHCP and see what happens.

Yeah, as I said above I have tried that previously but the log then shows no indication that the xbox is even connecting to the router.

I have assigned the xbox the prefix of 192.168.0.160, but it never actually does anything and always fails the connection test to the network.

I can try resetting the router settings and clearing the Xbox cache, but am not sure if that will do much.

--------------------------------------
DHCP is enabled

The range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199, so 100 leases.

The lease time is 1440 minutes.

And there is a setting for

"Always broadcast : (compatibility for some DHCP Clients)" checked.

DHCP reservation is enabled, but now MAC addresses selected. When I have tried to do it this way before, it shows the device (eg Xbox) connected, but the device only gets assigned a 169. IP address.

This really should be working, everything is enabled for it to work.
-------------------------------------------
Update

Its the router. I tried doing a soft reset via the router software. This was meant to restore it to its default settings. Once I did this I tried connecting via cable on two separate PCs. Only to be assigned a 169.xxx.xxx.x IP once again on both of them. It would appear the DHCP server is not working.

Is this a dead router or is it something I can do to fix it?

---------------------------------------

Well I even tried a firmware update.

It has to be the router that is dead, right?

Geddy

• Level 1 Member
Re: DHCP Not assigning IPs to wired connections
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:27:52 AM »

Unfortunately I have a similar problem.

I have a DSM-510 wired connected to my network.  All was fine until last week I had to change my Router due to changing broad band suppliers.

Everything on the network works fine, PC, Mac, Laptop, Xbox360 and PS3 apart from the DSM-510 which gets a 169:xxx:xxx:xxx IP address.

I'm not an expert on these things but can follow steps to correct this but can't find a solution anywhere.  Tried rebooting everything, releasing/renewing IP address etc etc and all to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

EmPleh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:56:36 AM »

If it helps I got a new router, a DIR-855. So I think that is the only option.

teddis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:39:17 PM »

Did you discover why this was happening and if you found a solution? I bought a DIR-825 back in November 2008 and had this problem ever since, but DLink support could never fix this and I stupidly did not insist on an RMA. I've upgraded firmware and still to no avail. My only option to temporarily fix this was to assign reserved IP's for all of my devices. So this tells me the DHCP server is running on the router and assigning reserved IPs, just not sure why it is also assigning 169.*.*.* if not reserved!  This is beyond frustrating and irritating. The lesson learned is to never buy from dlink again.

llort

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:48:20 AM »

I also have been having the same issue with DGL-4300. Wireless DCHP working fine with WEP2 security. Wired connections only working with Static IP address.

Firmware 1.7

Perhaps the hardware has expired, time to upgrade?

Veritae

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »

I had strange DHCP issues on Windows 7 systems, both wired and wireless after upgrading from 1.4 to 1.6 firmware.  I just updated to 1.9 and this seems to have resolved my issues.

Issue.... Router logs showed that packets were dropped from auto-configured IP addresses... 169.x.x.x to a 254.0.0.x address (I think this is Windows 7 testing for Internet connectivity). The router dropped those packets because it thinks the packets are from the wrong IP for that NIC and therefor are spoofed packets.

Long story made short... try upgrading to firmware version 1.9.

The router says 1.7 is the latest, but the D-Link site has version 1.9.  This WILL reset your router to factory defaults, backup up your configuration FIRST or be prepared to re-enter all your configuration data.