• June 05, 2024, 02:59:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MAC Address issues in DHCP Reservations List  (Read 28109 times)

NovaShadow

• Level 1 Member
MAC Address issues in DHCP Reservations List
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »

I hope this is the place to make a bug report. If not, please let me know.

I have a setup using LogMeIn Hamachi and the network type creates a Windows Bridge. I also use the DHCP Reservations List to assign the same IP to specific devices. Well I have the MAC Address for my NIC in the list which works when I am not using the bridge. When using the bridge, of course the MAC address changes and when I try to add it to the list I get the following message in a popup window. The MAC Address is 02:e0:61:05:45:3e I have tried manually entering it, letting the router enter it from the list of computers and just to rule out something stupid, I have tried changing the letters to upper case and removing the colons.

<192.168.x.y>

Invalid MAC address

Another issue I can see when this issue is resolved is that I do not believe it will let me add this reservation since I will be using the same IP used by another reservation. My DGL-4500 allowed this if I had the other reservations using the same IP disabled.

Below these comments/rants are some feature requests. I have put them last as some of the requests are explained in the comment/rant section.

I have read through this list and I have to say that after I purchased the router, which I ordered on-line, I was dreading it, but I have not had issues. It is possible that I am not using features that cause this issue. I believe the issues occur when using certain configurations with the "Enable Advanced DNS Service" enabled. I am not using this service. Since I knew people were having issue s with it, I wanted to see my results leaving that out. I have had this router running since a week before Christmas and I have many Virtual Server entires, QoS and port forwarding entries, https based remote administration, both 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks enabled supporting a/b/g/n(on both networks) and a guest network enabled on both bands all supporting WPA (TKIP and AES). I have 2 Giga wired connections that are always active, a 100Mb connection that is on an off but used almost daily, 2 Laptops that use the 2.4GHz network daily and one is 802.11g 54Mb and the other is 802.11n 150Mb and they are on at the same time almost daily, a printer that is on and used multiple times a week that uses 802.11g and a game system that uses 802.11a this device is used daily. Most devices are on and used at the same time daily and we have a good deal of regular Internet traffic and moderate other network traffic during these times. At night all computers are backed up over the network and most of the other network devices are off or not during this time. Other than having to reboot my Internet hardware provided by my ISP, I have not had issues. The router has been rebooted for config changes and I usually cycle it when I cycle the Internet hardware. Point is, so far no issues, good performance and it works and I have of course had other devices connected using the guest network and I have been testing features, performance, etc.

Some issues I would like to address are as follows.

What's up with having so much variation in how features work across routers?
e.g. My DHCP Reservation issue above. This router does not work with a setup like my DGL-4500.
This router allows a preset amount of services like QoS and Virtual Server entries while the DGL-4500 just lets you add entries. Now maybe there is a limit and it just looks like there is no limit. Of course, there is at least a limit that is reached when you have used a certain amount of memory with the configuration.

so many routers while leaving gaps and the lack of feature explanation and comparison?
I switched to this router because I wanted a dual band setup which my DGL-4500 does not provide. That leads to the issue of the new way D-Link deals with dual-band. When I purchased the router it did not list that you had to choose 2.4GHz or 5GHz or it is not simultaneous dual-band. I was duped because I used to install DWL-7100AP for people that needed better wireless options for home businesses and small businesses and that provides simultaneous dual-band and back then if it was dual-band it was simultaneous. But I am disappointed in some of the features lost like WISH support and a few options here and there which do not seem like they are specific to gaming routers and this router is more on the mid range and low high range end of consumer, prosumer, home business and lower traffic small business routers, so why is it missing these features and why does it have the limitations I listed in the "variation in how features work" section above?

Other examples of lack of feature clarity are with Game Fuel, HD FUEL and Intelligent QoS. Isn't Game Fuel Intelligent QoS of some sort. Now from the example provided in the overview for the DGL-4500, Game Fuel optimizes game performance, but it does not say this is automatic or if it works along with the rules you set in the Game Fuel section which is the same as the QoS Engine section in the DIR-825. The difference is that the DIR-825 has a "Enable QoS Engine" option while the DGL-4500 has an "Enable Game Fuel" option. It seems that Intelligent QoS does what Game Fuel does, but expands that to VOIP, Media Streaming, etc. and it may be more automatic. HD Fuel in the only place I have seen it mentioned seems to refer to the combination of Intelligent QoS and the inclusion of 5GHz wireless support. Of course there is no version and feature documentation and in fact while the overview of the DIR-825 talks about gaming with Intelligent QoS, but if you bring up a comparison of routers, the chart has no in the gaming section for the DIR-825. I can't say I have noticed better or worse gaming performance with the DIR-825 compared with the DGL-4500, but given the shear lack of documentation on how to use Game Fuel and Intelligent QoS properly, who knows if I have this setup correctly. I will say the QoS Engine section in the DIR-825 is easier to use than the Game Fuel section in the DGL-4500.

Some things I would like to see.

1) The ability to reduce the brightness of the status lights, set them to solid if enabled with brightness options and to set them to off with an option to have some very faint light to show that the router is on. Of course I should be able to set different options to be applied at specific times.

2) Add the applicable features missing from the DIR-825 that are found in the DGL-4500 and applicable features from other routers. Also, get them all so they work the same on each router and let get the best from them all and make that the standard. e.g. In my DHCP reservation example above don't set the standard to the limitations of the DIR-825, but make the DGL-4500 function set or better function set of all routers combined for each feature the standard with-in router categories. e.g. the DIR-825, DGL-4500 and DIR-855 would be in the high end router category for consumer, prosumer, home business and lower traffic small business routers.

3) For DHCP reservations, you should not be limited to the DHCP IP Address Range.

4) On the log-in screen, get a better captcha and fix the tab order.

5) Add a log-out option in the web interface.

6) Allow for a next hop option in the DCHP server section. It would be cool, if there could be a list of IPs allows one to be enabled at a time.

7) Allow different DHCP server settings for each network. There are 5 on the DIR-825. Wired, 2.4GHz regular, 2.4GHz Guest, 5GHz regular and 5GHz Guest. Would be nice if you could set a couple of VLANs on the Ethernet ports and then have different DHCP setings for each VLAN.

8) For guest wireless networks, allow rules to be set to allow access to certain services on the network. E.g. I may want to allow printing. So allow a single port or multiple ports with easy settings for consecutive port ranges to be opened to an IP, IP range or all IPs and allow all ports for an IP or range of IPs. Of course, leave the allow full access option.

8a) Allow users to set rule sets that can be enabled/disabled like the full access option.

8b) Allow a control that can be set in the rule sets that controls if the wireless devices can talk to each other and another that controls if they can access devices on the wired network and another that controls if the wireless devices can access the Internet.

8c) Allow rules above to be limited to be applied to specific MAC Addresses.

8d) These options would be good to have for the non-guest wireless networks and wired network as well.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
Re: MAC Address issues in DHCP Reservations List
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »

The would tell you to by an enterprise switch or something to that extent. It's all about business and repeat business. They have to ask themselves, at what point does a consumer device become an enterprise device? The differences between devices, in my opinion, has little to do with hardware specifications, but more-so feature sets offered by the devices.

I too, would like to see the ability to create VLAN's and have full VLAN support as well as other features that once were in fact part of the firmware, but removed so that dlink could create competitive products, call them new products, and recieve some new or repeat business.

I mentioned this in the dir-655 forums and plain and simply, these features WILL NEVER be added and the fixes you ask for may not be applied.

Case in point: the DIR line and DGL line of routers have the same underlying firmware/os. I had a peak at the firmware at an HEX level and noticed this. The only differences, as stated above, is feature set. D-LINK had WDS, LAN side routing, bridging (not client mode to my knowledge), and 3G services at one point in time in both of these routers, but over the course of firmware updates, they were removed to make room for what they would call "new products"...again, it's business and repeat business, otherwise they wouldnt stand to make money. It's a minor flaw in their business model, to offer such features in a SOHO router then remove them so there is more appeal for consumers to purchase higher priced devices just to achieve features they once had. It's a crime, or at least should be, i know but as they say, "that's business".

I saw this trend with DLINK and did not upgrade my dir-655 anymore, in order to retain as much features as possible. I still have 3G support in the router so that I can, if I wanted to, use it as a 3G access point instead of spending more money on their 3G access point that they are selling now ever since they removed the feature from the dir-655 and 825. It's a little humorous because a person who speaks on their behalf, or was it in the release notes?, mentioned that it was removed due to compatibiliy issues, in reality, that wasn't the case at all. It was removed to stay competative with the market.

Anyways, one GOOD thing about this particular router is that the source is available and makes it a competitive alternative to the WRT54G(s) line of routers as soon enough all us owners will be able to install OpenWRT or DD-WRT without any problems and have a feature set beyond what d-link offers in a single package. This business model works as Linksys saw an increase in sales on the wrt54g line of routers and remarketed it as the GL with less memory and ROM, which was probably a tactical move.

I started delving into the virtual phenonema to gain more knowledge, consolidate my devices on the network and to save on hardware costs. Using VMware and/or ESXi may be something of interest for you as well as you can have a virtual infastructure managing your entire network. There are a lot of virtual appliances that are free to use so costs could potentially be next to nothing.

Dan Meis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 09:58:41 PM »

The "Invalid MAC Address" when trying to create a DHCP reservation is a known problem with the DIR-330 as well.  I've found the source of the problem (literally!), and provided a fix for that model; and I expect the mistake is very similar with the DIR-825.

Hopefully D-Link will include such a fix in a new firmware release soon.  Here's the cross-post from the DIR-330 forum:

I've located the problem with the "Invalid MAC Address" when trying to create a DHCP Reservation, and determined the necessary fix.

Fortunately, the firmware for the DIR-330 is GPL'ed and available for download from D-Link.  After spending a few minutes digging through the sources, I've found the problem in lines 374-377 of the file "DIR-330_gpl/DIR-330_gpl/src/router/www/DIR_330/lan.asp".  Those lines should simply be deleted, as there has never been any requirement that the first octet of the MAC address be "00"; in fact, this is contrary to the specifications in the RFCs, as noted previously.  This fix probably needs to be made to the DIR-825 as well, some users have posted regarding an identical problem in its forum.

I'm cross-posting this to the other related topic, "DIR-330 [Invalid Mac Address] Issue - Latest firmware 1.12".

Regards,
-Dan

ddsoln

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:35:34 AM »

I am having this problem as well, I have numerous machines in my small business network with MAC addresses that the router will not accept. Please D-Link provide a fix for this issue soon!

Thanks

atom88

• Level 1 Member

I'm using the DIR-825 Router with buggy firmware in it:

I just bought a brand new computer with an ASUS P5E3 PRO GB Ethernet built into the motherboard in it that won't work.

It has an ethernet MAC address that starts with 90:36:.....  It won't work either on the DHCP server reservation list!

COME ON D-LINK!  FIX YOUR BUGGY SOFTWARE AND RELEASE A PATCH ASAP!

Why are you error checking for something other than a valid HEXADECIMAL string?  Surely you could release a patch of the firmware to solve this.  Perhaps there's a javascript function in the browser you're using to check this that could be faked out on the router's admin page?

It has a GigBit (1000 MB/sec) ethernet network card built into it.

It's based on the Marvell 88E8056 PCIe Gigbit LAN controller

The operating system has nothing to do with the MAC address (as that's a hardware issue).  Perhaps Ubuntu has something to spoof the MAC address?

I have a triple boot: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, Windows 7, & Win XP 64-bit.

In Ubuntu I do: "lspci" from the command prompt and get this:
Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:45:01 AM by atom88 »

Dan Meis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:28:01 AM »

atom88:

This is a problem with the DIR-330 as well -- I bought one.  In that model, it's actually JavaScript that's CAUSING the problem; to be precise, a few lines (374-377) in the "lan.asp" file (which manipulates DHCP reservations):

if(tmp_mac[0] != "00"){
         alert("The first mac value must be 00.");
         return false;
      }

An anyone can see, this code is completely wrong -- there has never been a suggestion that the first octet must be "00" (check the RFCs to see that I'm not blowing smoke).  The programmer who wrote these lines should be flogged with a wet noodle.  I haven't looked to see if the DIR-825 firmware is GPL-ed as well, but I expect that the problem is virtually identical.

I've been bugging D-Link to incorporate this fix for weeks, I can't imagine what the hold-up is.  C'mon, D-Link, say it with me: "Drag-select.  Press <delete>.  Click [Save].  Click [Build].  Type in a new firmware filename.  Click [Ok]."  Now post that to the website.  How long could this process possibly take?  (And before anyone says "regression testing", yes I do know about that -- I do some of that for a living... so, post it as a Beta.)

I've considered starting a project on SourceForge or some-such, but I was hoping D-Link would get a fix posted before I have time to set things up to do it myself.  Besides, I shouldn't have to take time away from paying work to fix something that was already supposed to work when I bought it!

Regards,
Dan Meis

LGgeek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »

Since it looks like d-link can't hire even entry level developers could you at least release the code so we can fix our own problems. majority of problems described in the forum are extremely junior level coding errors.

BassMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 01:10:17 PM »

Is this fixed in any of the DIR-825 firmware releases?

I've been a D-LINK supporter for about some time now, but I will "jump ship" if this cannot be resolved.

Not being able to use MAC addresses that start with anything other than 00 is truly pathetic.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 01:54:26 PM »

What HW and FW versions do you currently have? Please let me know.
It's reported that Current FW and HW revs should not exhibit this issue.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:06:44 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

BassMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »

What HW and FW versions do you currently have? Please let me know.
It's reported that Current FW and HW revs should not exhibit this issue.

HW: B1
SW: 2.02NA

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »

So v2.05NA should resolve the MAC address issue. Let us know if you update and how it goes.
Recommend Doing a factory reset.
Update FW.
Factory reset once more.
Test.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:56:34 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ultrajones

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »

Is this fixed in any of the DIR-825 firmware releases?

I've been a D-LINK supporter for about some time now, but I will "jump ship" if this cannot be resolved.

Not being able to use MAC addresses that start with anything other than 00 is truly pathetic.

Just when you thought things couldn't get worse, you'll eventually discover D-Link limits you to 25 DHCP reservations.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »

If you need more than 25 reservation then you might need something bigger that will handle your needs. Have to remember, these routers are Home routers. Not a lot of call for Home routers that have addressing pools of 25 or more.

ultrajones

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »

I ended up getting something bigger.  I purchased the Cisco/Linksys E4200 and I no longer have to deal with the stupid 20 DHCP reservation limit.  Replacing my DIR-825 resolved several other issues I had to deal with.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »

Sent you a PM...

FYI, Got hold of UltraJones's DIR-825 and it works flawlessly. What a great router.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:22:03 AM by FurryNutz »
Pages: [1] 2