• June 15, 2024, 07:55:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cannot uninstall DWA-552 hidden drivers > fixed that, but more problems!  (Read 15845 times)

retread

• Level 2 Member

I bought a DWA-552 last summer and had many problems with dropped connections.  So I bought a DWA-556.  Problem is:  The uninstall routine did not uninstall 3 hidden drivers for the previous card and now causes XP hardware device driver to show 2 adapters installed with the DWA-552 a problem device.  I only have the DWA-556 card installed.

I cannot uninstall the drivers... it reports that the reason is that they "may" be needed for startup.  Hogwash!

I can see the registry file, but don't know what I should do since I am not an IT expert.  I fear making the wrong mod will really screw things up.  DLink tech support is unable to help... they don't know what to do and they will not assist me in manually uninstalling the hidden files or modifying the registry.  I called Atheros, maker of the onboard chip, and they refuse to help because they said DLink has modified the routine and they will not get involved.

Can anyone tell me how to force an uninstall of the DWA-552 Jumpstart Wireless Intermediate Driver, the DWA-552 Packet Scheduler Miniport, and the DWA-552 Wireless Intermediate Driver?  

The location in the registry is HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\Root\WSIMDMP\0001.

It appears the DWA-552 Wireless Intermediate Driver file name is {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFCI-08002BE10318}\0016.  What if I just delete this file?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:17:37 PM by retread »

wklumpen

• Level 1 Member
Re: Cannot uninstall DWA-552 hidden drivers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »

This may sound reckless, but create yourself a system restore point, and have at it!

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:47:54 AM »

I bought a DWA-552 last summer and had many problems with dropped connections.  So I bought a DWA-556.  Problem is:  The uninstall routine did not uninstall 3 hidden drivers for the previous card and now causes XP hardware device driver to show 2 adapters installed with the DWA-552 a problem device.  I only have the DWA-556 card installed.

I cannot uninstall the drivers... it reports that the reason is that they "may" be needed for startup.  Hogwash!

I can see the registry file, but don't know what I should do since I am not an IT expert.  I fear making the wrong mod will really screw things up.  DLink tech support is unable to help... they don't know what to do and they will not assist me in manually uninstalling the hidden files or modifying the registry.  I called Atheros, maker of the onboard chip, and they refuse to help because they said DLink has modified the routine and they will not get involved.

Can anyone tell me how to force an uninstall of the DWA-552 Jumpstart Wireless Intermediate Driver, the DWA-552 Packet Scheduler Miniport, and the DWA-552 Wireless Intermediate Driver? 

The location in the registry is HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\Root\WSIMDMP\0001.

It appears the DWA-552 Wireless Intermediate Driver file name is {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFCI-08002BE10318}\0016.  What if I just delete this file?

Hi retread,

Did you uninstall the DWA-552 Card from the Device Manager, before you removed the card from the computer itself?

I would suggest a reformat and reinstall of the operating system, if to reinstall the actual card is not an option.

The proper way to remove the DWA-552 card from the computer, is to uninstall the device, from the Device Manager, first, before removing it from the computer, physically.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

retread

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:57:38 PM »

Format HDD and reinstall OS?  Are you kidding me? ::)

Actually, on the supposition that I failed to uninstall the drivers before the card (I have been very busy), I had the time today to try just that.  I uninstalled the 556 drivers and card, reinstalled the 552 card and drivers.  Then I uninstalled the 552 drivers and checked.... all of them gone, including the "hidden" drivers!!

WOW!  What a mess!  Anyway... I will concede that the whole problem had to have been my fault (operator error).  I removed the 552 card, reinserted the 556, reinstalled the 556 drivers and I am back in business with no problem devices.

retread

• Level 2 Member
Re: Cannot uninstall DWA-552 hidden drivers ::FIXED::
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 08:16:51 PM »

Well.... Windows doesn't report a problem device anymore, but the 552 is not connecting.  It just constantly attempts to assign an IP address.  Good signal... just won't latch onto an IP.  I have been following the thread on audio spikes, and this sounds (no pun intended) similar.

I had this card in an Intel machine and it was working OK.  (It did drop connection frequently for the first couple of months I had it, but then mysteriously became stable.... guess it was a M$ft update)  When I transferred this card to another box using the same OS (WinXP Pro sp3), but an AMD CPU, I have not been able to get it to stay connected.  I downloaded latest drivers, too, with no help.  (Obviously I am at another computer reporting this - this system is Intel/WinXP Pro sp3/DLink-556)

Guess this card is a bummer!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:19:14 PM by retread »

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Re: Cannot uninstall DWA-552 hidden drivers ::FIXED::
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 06:18:30 AM »

Well.... Windows doesn't report a problem device anymore, but the 552 is not connecting.  It just constantly attempts to assign an IP address.  Good signal... just won't latch onto an IP.  I have been following the thread on audio spikes, and this sounds (no pun intended) similar.

I had this card in an Intel machine and it was working OK.  (It did drop connection frequently for the first couple of months I had it, but then mysteriously became stable.... guess it was a M$ft update)  When I transferred this card to another box using the same OS (WinXP Pro sp3), but an AMD CPU, I have not been able to get it to stay connected.  I downloaded latest drivers, too, with no help.  (Obviously I am at another computer reporting this - this system is Intel/WinXP Pro sp3/DLink-556)

Guess this card is a bummer!

Hi retread,

Are you using Wireless Telephones throughout your home? Are they 2.4 MHz range? Is there a Wireless Telephone base near the Router? Near the computer? Look for intereference. How about Cell Phones?

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

retread

• Level 2 Member
Re: Cannot uninstall DWA-552 hidden drivers > fixed that, but more problems!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »

I tried this some time ago.  Unplugged all my wireless phones and turned off my cell phones.  This does not make a bit of difference.

You may have missed it, but I reported this card worked in an Intel machine before swapping it to the current install on a ChainTech.  That alone would rule out wireless interference.

I think the same logic applies to my router... even tho it's a 'g' the card worked in the Intel before the swap to ChainTech.

There is some incompatibility with the software somewhere, but I have spent too many hours of my time trying to disable everything conceivable to find the confict.  I can force it to accept an IP address by going static, and can get it to connect to my LAN, but still cannot access the internet.  In the meantime, the little circle above the SSID connection showing in the DLink W/L Utility manager blinks off for 1 second every 10, even though continuing to show network connectivity.  The network connection in Windows will also show "Connected"... but still no access to the net.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:19:52 PM by retread »

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:28:04 PM »

Hi retread,

You keep mentioning the D-Link Utility. I don't have the D-Link Utility installed at all, because when I first got the Card, I did installed the Utility and it would cause the Blue Screen of Death.

I am only using the Drivers for the Card, not D-Link's Wireless Utility. Uninstall the D-Link Software and reboot.

Go to the Device Manager and see if the Card is still installed. If not, point it towards the drivers that you unpacked. And now let Windows install the Drivers for the card. Make sure the Ethernet port is disabled in Computer Bios. However, it conflicts.

Reboot the computer. Now manually type in the information for your Network and remember to connect, even when not broadcasting. Are you using WEP or WPA2 Only! Encryption?

Once you enter the proper information, reboot the computer and let Windows connect to the Router.

retread

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »

Hi retread,

You keep mentioning the D-Link Utility. I don't have the D-Link Utility installed at all, because when I first got the Card, I did installed the Utility and it would cause the Blue Screen of Death.

I am only using the Drivers for the Card, not D-Link's Wireless Utility. Uninstall the D-Link Software and reboot.

Go to the Device Manager and see if the Card is still installed. If not, point it towards the drivers that you unpacked. And now let Windows install the Drivers for the card. Make sure the Ethernet port is disabled in Computer Bios. However, it conflicts.

Reboot the computer. Now manually type in the information for your Network and remember to connect, even when not broadcasting. Are you using WEP or WPA2 Only! Encryption?

Once you enter the proper information, reboot the computer and let Windows connect to the Router.

Well, I let you waste another hour of my time... I followed the above steps, but no work.  It gets hung at the exact same place.  Strong signal but will not latch on.  (Please don't try to suggest that I don't know how to configure a card for wireless encryption.... )