• June 15, 2024, 11:45:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: I lose connection yet have good signal strength  (Read 5711 times)

Cartman

• Level 1 Member
I lose connection yet have good signal strength
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:49:50 AM »

Hi,

I lose my wireless connection (especially after trying to download larger files) all the time even though my signal strength is between very good to excellent. The length of time varies from as much as 5 hrs to 1 min before the connection is lost.

I have the DIR-655 router and that is updated with latest firmware... my DWA-552 is updated to driver version 7.7.0.371... I'm currently running Windows XP (SP3)

There are no connection issues with the computer that is wired into the router nor my laptop.... so I'm thinking it has to be this adapter.

How can I alleviate these drops in connection????

P.S. I should mention too that when I lose connection I have to reboot my computer because windows cannot find the network....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:53:13 AM by Cartman »

CaR-RaMRoD

• Level 1 Member
Re: I lose connection yet have good signal strength
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 03:13:38 PM »

Hey Cartman.. All you have to do is put your computer to sleep and wake it up again.. Way faster than restarting.. That is what works for me anyways.

retread

• Level 2 Member
Re: I lose connection yet have good signal strength
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »

Hi,

I lose my wireless connection (especially after trying to download larger files) all the time even though my signal strength is between very good to excellent. The length of time varies from as much as 5 hrs to 1 min before the connection is lost.

I have the DIR-655 router and that is updated with latest firmware... my DWA-552 is updated to driver version 7.7.0.371... I'm currently running Windows XP (SP3)

There are no connection issues with the computer that is wired into the router nor my laptop.... so I'm thinking it has to be this adapter.

How can I alleviate these drops in connection????

P.S. I should mention too that when I lose connection I have to reboot my computer because windows cannot find the network....

You are fortunate that you can stay connected for any time at all.  I can force a connection by assigning a static IP, but still can't access the net.... and my connection shows over 80% strength!  There is something going on with the drivers that DLink can't fix.  If you recently bought this card and in a position to obtain an RMA, I would suggest you do so before sinking a lot of time into this quagmire of problems with this card.  A DWA-556 will work.  The 552 won't.