• April 19, 2024, 08:35:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DIR-330 [Invalid Mac Address] Issue - Latest firmware 1.12  (Read 42799 times)

Dan Meis

• Level 1 Member
DIR-330 [Invalid Mac Address] Issue - Latest firmware 1.12
« on: January 27, 2010, 02:25:38 PM »

Somebody at D-Link goofed with this firmware -- the DHCP server won't accept a MAC address with an initial octet other than "00" when creating a DHCP reservation (a similar problem exists with the DIR-285).

Hello... what's up with that?  IEEE 802.x addresses with an initial octet other than 00 have been around almost since Ethernet was invented by Xerox and DEC (see "ETHERNET NUMBERS OF INTEREST" in RFC 820 "Assigned Numbers" from 1983).  C'mon folks, please read the foundational documents before shipping a product.

So now, fixed firmware is on the top of the to-do list, right?  I hope?  It's really frustrating because now I can't deploy the new hardware we just bought.  I mean, we all make mistakes (hey, I've written some stupid code too), but let's get a fix on the front burner please.

Dan Meis

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-330 [Invalid Mac Address] Issue - Latest firmware 1.12
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »

(Cross-posted from Topic: Static DHCP Reservations)

I've located the problem with the "Invalid MAC Address" when trying to create a DHCP Reservation, and determined the necessary fix.

Fortunately, the firmware for the DIR-330 is GPL'ed and available for download from D-Link.  After spending a few minutes digging through the sources, I've found the problem in lines 374-377 of the file "DIR-330_gpl/DIR-330_gpl/src/router/www/DIR_330/lan.asp".  Those lines should simply be deleted, as there has never been any requirement that the first octet of the MAC address be "00"; in fact, this is contrary to the specifications in the RFCs, as noted previously.  This fix probably needs to be made to the DIR-825 as well, some users have posted regarding an identical problem in its forum.

I'm cross-posting this to the other related topic, "DIR-330 [Invalid Mac Address] Issue - Latest firmware 1.12".

Regards,
-Dan

jdwinterton

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »

Somebody at D-Link goofed with this firmware -- the DHCP server won't accept a MAC address with an initial octet other than "00" when creating a DHCP reservation (a similar problem exists with the DIR-285).

Hello... what's up with that?  IEEE 802.x addresses with an initial octet other than 00 have been around almost since Ethernet was invented by Xerox and DEC (see "ETHERNET NUMBERS OF INTEREST" in RFC 820 "Assigned Numbers" from 1983).  C'mon folks, please read the foundational documents before shipping a product.

So now, fixed firmware is on the top of the to-do list, right?  I hope?  It's really frustrating because now I can't deploy the new hardware we just bought.  I mean, we all make mistakes (hey, I've written some stupid code too), but let's get a fix on the front burner please.

I just noticed this too when I tried to statically assign an address to my main home system (WIN7) within DHCP - free bump!

atom88

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:50:06 AM »

DIR-825 with firmware 2.02NA is BUGGY for DHCP reservation by MAC address!

I just bought a brand new computer with an ASUS P5E3 PRO GB Ethernet built into the motherboard in it that won't work. 

It has an ethernet MAC address that starts with 90:36:.....  It won't work either on the DHCP server reservation list!

COME ON D-LINK!  FIX YOUR BUGGY SOFTWARE AND RELEASE A PATCH ASAP!

Why are you error checking for something other than a valid HEXADECIMAL string?  Surely you could release a patch of the firmware to solve this.  Perhaps there's a javascript function in the browser you're using to check this that could be faked out on the router's admin page?

It has a GigBit (1000 MB/sec) ethernet network card built into it.

It's based on the Marvell 88E8056 PCIe Gigbit LAN controller

The operating system has nothing to do with the MAC address (as that's a hardware issue).  Perhaps Ubuntu has something to spoof the MAC address?

I have a triple boot: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, Windows 7, & Win XP 64-bit.

In Ubuntu I do: "lspci" from the command prompt and get this:
Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)

milieux

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:21:50 AM »

Having the same issue with DR-825

only the systems with MAC addresses beginning with "00" can be reserved

my iPad MAC begins with c4 and cannot be reserved
a newer desktop system with MAC starting with "e0" cannot be reserved

DHCP reservation is important to me because the last 3 digits of the assigned to the IP correspond to the type and location of the system in my office. 

This includes wireless printers, mobile devices, desktops and notebooks.
Right now an iPad is taking the IP that should belong to a workstation, however, I cannot assign an IP to that workstation or the iPad because of this MAC address issue.

Dan Meis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:30 PM »

Milieux:

This is a known problem with the DIR-825 and DIR-330.  I believe D-Link has come out with updated firmware for the DIR-330, but I don't know about the DIR-825.  You may learn more from the related thread in the forum for your model: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=10418.0.

I found the problem for D-Link's programmers in the DIR-330's firmware, and identified the lines that needed fixing here: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=10418.msg66613#msg66613.

When I saw that there was no response by D-Link after two (2) months, I finally posted the incorrect DIR-330 code in this forum entry: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=10418.msg74154#msg74154.

To make this as clear as possible, let me quote the reply referenced above:
This is a problem with the DIR-330 as well -- I bought one.  In that model, it's actually JavaScript that's CAUSING the problem; to be precise, a few lines (374-377) in the "lan.asp" file (which manipulates DHCP reservations):

if(tmp_mac[0] != "00"){
         alert("The first mac value must be 00.");
         return false;
      }

An anyone can see, this code is completely wrong -- there has never been a suggestion that the first octet must be "00" (check the RFCs to see that I'm not blowing smoke).  The programmer who wrote these lines should be flogged with a wet noodle.  I haven't looked to see if the DIR-825 firmware is GPL-ed as well, but I expect that the problem is virtually identical.

I've been bugging D-Link to incorporate this fix for weeks, I can't imagine what the hold-up is.  C'mon, D-Link, say it with me: "Drag-select.  Press <delete>.  Click [Save].  Click [Build].  Type in a new firmware filename.  Click [Ok]."  Now post that to the website.  How long could this process possibly take?  (And before anyone says "regression testing", yes I do know about that -- I do some of that for a living... so, post it as a Beta.)

I've considered starting a project on SourceForge or some-such, but I was hoping D-Link would get a fix posted before I have time to set things up to do it myself.  Besides, I shouldn't have to take time away from paying work to fix something that was already supposed to work when I bought it!

Regards,
Dan Meis

I admit that the above entry is getting close to flaming, but here's the deal: I found the source on the D-Link website, downloaded it, un-tarred it, found the problem, and posted the complete filename, line numbers, and instructions on how to fix the problem -- all in less than half a day.  A 100% gift, wrapped up in pretty paper and tied with a bow -- and I'm no programming genius, either!  After doing all the D-Link programmers' work for them, it was pretty frustrating to see them just sit on the answer while customers suffered.

All I can say is, as president of a company myself, there would be consequences for the people involved if I ever got wind of this type of behavior happening with my employees.

Regards,
Dan Meis

FoolioMagoolio

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »

I have the DIR-825 and have the same problem.  It's ridiculous that a fix hasn't been released.

--Foolio
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 12:02:55 PM by FoolioMagoolio »

tjwill

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »

I'm having the same problem with my DIR-825 too. I had MAC filtering on, but when I tried to add my wife's Kindle, I ran into this and had to end up turning off MAC filtering.
I have WPA2 set, but I thought the filtering would give me some added protection.

Dan Meis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 08:35:56 AM »

I guess D-Link's support team is no longer able to keep up with the product line, and it also seems that the latest products have more flaws to begin with.  At this point, the only option I can suggest would be to move away from D-Link products, as our company has done.   :-\  There are other manufacturers out there that are able to produce a higher-quality product and be more responsive to the customer.

Crash27

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:38:01 AM »

I to have the same issue, I just bought the DIR-825 for it was the best D-Link router that Future Shop had and here I am, the firmware is from 2009 still. and I can't reserve my either of my new 320GB PS3 consoles or a few other devices. I cannot believe that d-link has not put out a firmware fix for this yet. I think I will be going to another router company, I have always had D-link but there products seem to be having more and more issues and less reliable products. So come on D-Link it is Jan 2011 , it should not take a year and a bit to put out a firmware to fix a few issues with this router.

Quinntum

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 07:16:21 PM »

DIR-825  Same issue.

Come D-Link! I got 2 weeks before I need to take this back.

Q

Dan Meis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 10:21:41 AM »

Quinntum:

I located the code causing this bug and posted the fix for it on February 11, 2010 -- almost a year ago.  Based on the current situation, I doubt that D-Link will ever come out with a fix.  I wish they would open-source the firmware, because then at least the users could get the problems fixed themselves.

At this point, I would suggest returning the DIR-825 immediately if you can -- don't bother waiting at all, unless you want to work out how to re-flash the firmware yourself.  (If you did this and posted the procedure, I'm sure there are hundreds of users that would thank you; unfortunately, I just haven't had the time to do it myself.)  We used to purchase all D-Link products, but the best bet now is to switch to a different brand as soon as you can -- the company seems to have completely fallen to pieces.

I've heard good things about the current crop of NetGear products, and have had good luck with the Cisco PAP2T we recently bought.  (The Cisco Small Business products, formerly LinkSys, are more economically priced than the pro stuff).

Best wishes,

Dan Meis
Systems Design
Jackson Lumber Harvester Co., Inc.

Denton

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 09:21:40 AM »

Here's the work around I'm using on my DIR-330.  The bug is in the web UI.

Save your settings to your local machine disk using the maintenance -> system tab
Edit the setting file using a text editor.  (Look for dhcpd_reserve_)
Post the setting file back into the router using maintenance screen.

I add the reservations using the UI setting the first octet to 00 for any offending machines.  Export and go set the first octet manually in a text editor, and re-import.

The reservation works fine.  Once you have done this you won't be able to use the save settings button on the network settings screen without first setting the first octet to 00 for any reservations you have created using the above.  Save settings seems to work fine from the other screens, even with the non-00 reservations in place. 

Or there is DD-WRT  ;D

Jovan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 04:25:39 AM »

J have d-liink dir-301 when j install new windows xp my usb adapter had not recognize it don`t light what to do where can J find software?do J have to install new windows? :  ???
Please help me!!! Forward thanks...

Mitchcan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »

I recently (Mar 2011) purchased a new DIR-825, and found many of the aforementioned issues (DHCP reservation etc).

Tools > Firmware suggested there was a firmware update.  But this also failed.  But

"http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pid=DIR-825&rev=DIR-825_revB"
leads to a different firmware download  "dir825_revB_FW_205NA.zip"
which contained a pair of firmware updates 
"DIR-825 B1_fw2.05_1.bin"  and "DIR-825 B1_fw2.05_2.bin"

These seem to have fixed the DHCP problems, and hopefully more..
Pages: [1] 2