• June 07, 2024, 12:53:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Another Shareport DIR 655 Victim  (Read 18286 times)

tvorgitch

• Level 1 Member
Re: Another Shareport DIR 655 Victim
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »

I've had 1.33NA running for about 24 hours and so far, so good. I'm able to connect to from two different XP systems.

momcat1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »

You've got to be kidding! I went through the firmware update to 1.33NA, a few bobbles in that process, but it's done, and everything is set back where I had it.

Then I tackled the Shareport upgrade. First problem, I installed 1.15 from this forum, which absolutely did not work. Went to dlink site and got 1.10, OK, since when is going from 1.14 to 1.10 and upgrade? Installed that. Magically it did recognize my Kodak printer. That's very good considering all I went through with 1.14. OK, I connected to it. That was real good too. I sent a test page to the printer, that's where the trouble started. As soon as I sent a test page to print, the router hung. So then I got the printer disconnected improperly popup. Five minutes later we finally got the router back. Yeah, five minutes. I tried a second time. Same thing. I installed Shareport 1.10 on a second PC, same scenario.

So the bottom line is, we can connect to the printer just fine, but we can't use the connection. This is progress? I did check to make sure Shareport was the USB connection on the router, when I could finally get back into it, and it is. I did also check the Windows Firewall ports even though the installation took care of the exceptions. They are just fine.

I'm not getting what exactly is freezing up the router.

Windows XP SP3 laptop and Windows Media Center desktop.

momcat1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 05:37:07 PM »

So I tried twice more to uninstall/reinstall Shareport, and while it sees the Kodak printer just fine, it will not connect. I then tried my USB external hard drive and the same thing happened. It's not Windows Firewall, that's setup as it should be, with the correct exclusions.

I'm done with Shareport. My next printer will be wifi on my network.

Pluripotent

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 07:28:40 AM »

rick0325,

I did what you said on my DIR-855 and so far, it worked.  I just completely disabled windows firewall.  I don't see much point in running a software firewall on top of the router firewall.  Some people having problems on these threads are running additional (known problematic) firewalls on top of windows firewall and their router firewall!  That's just asking for trouble.

Just curious if you could explain how you came about these settings, such as "Enable Broadcast Addresses
192.168.0.255" 

efalsken

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 09:55:14 AM »

If anyone figures out an answer to this question, please post.

On my DIR-628, my computer regularly cannot connect to my printer. Restarting SharePort and my computer has no effect. Even reinstalling SharePort. But I have found that restarting the router works 100% of the time (for me).

My printer is selected as "Connect automatically when needed" and the icon is green (means the drivers are installed correctly to detect items in the print queue).

purple_python_2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »

Same problem here.    FW 1.32NA, SharePort 1.1.0.R1 with Enable Broadcast Address setting on SharePort, and clock sync'ed and Enable Multicast streams (as suggested by different people).

After rebooting the router, SharePort will see the USB device.    And it will connect without any problem.
But then the next day, observed two scenarios so far:
1) Cannot see the device any more, after I power on my USB Printer.    Then has to "toggle" the "Enable Broadcast Address".    Then it will show up.
2) Sometimes, it can see the device, but cannot connect.     I then "toggle" the "SAVE SETTINGS" for time on the router.     That does not require a reboot.    And then I can connect.     Two more times, I've experienced this scenario.   Toggling "SAVE SETTINGS" does NOT help at all.      So, this whole deal about time server in another posting is just a coincidence rather than correlation.  (3/1/10)

I will try couple more times to confirm those "toggling" actually consistent helps.    Maybe those togglings somehow trick the router and SharePort utility to go through some routine OR clear out some stale data on the router side or client side.      The unpredictability of whether SharePort will work today or not is just plain annoying.     I really don't want to unnecessarily reboot my router everyday!!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:28:06 AM by purple_python_2 »

htpw16

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »

Has there been a solution to this problem? I have been experiencing the same behavior where a router reboot fixes everything.

purple_python_2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »

This is VERY DEPRESSING.     I tried the NEW SharePort 3.0.    Yes, when it first power up, no problem.    The problem, similar to the previous SharePort, occurs when the router has been up for a while.    Then, SharePort would no longer talk to the router.     I kept my router up for a few days.     This morning, I tried SharePort and it can no longer see my router any more.    And I had to reboot the router.     This router is behaving like Windows 95 (I promise you, this is NOT a praise!!!) that I have to reboot regularly.     

The software department of D-Link is VERY incompetent.    By now, there MUST be plenty of test cases that the software department can trace and reproduce this problem.    Should ALL the angry D-Link customers start posting nasty comments on Amazon.com, Buy.com, etc.. to get some attention from D-Link to fix this properly?!?!?!

sesca

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »

I will work on reproducing the troubles you are seeing and reporting it.

I am going to lock this thread but for other users that are having trouble with SharePort 3.0 post them in the link below so that I can track them more easily.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11778.0
Pages: 1 [2]