• April 25, 2024, 03:20:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 & XBOX 360 :: path limitations & upnp refreshing  (Read 8010 times)

Bond13579

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 & XBOX 360 :: path limitations & upnp refreshing
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »

I recently purchased a DNS-323 to stream all my media to my XBOX 360.
Using Firmware 1.07

Issue #1:  Adding a new video or renaming a video on the DNS-323 takes a couple hours before seeing the changes on the XBOX.  I do a manual upnp refresh and still nothing.  I don't know if it's doing anything.  I have about 250GB in media at the moment.  So is the upnp server root folder also the root at which everything is indexed?  This would explain why it takes so long to update.  If this is the case, I will only index my videos and not bother with the music.  But it still doesn't explain why manual refresh does nothing.

Issue #2:  There seems to be a file path length limitation and I can't figure out exactly what this is.  To explain:  I have a path for example Media/Videos/TV Shows/That 70s Show/Season 1/That 70s Show - 01x15 - Name of Episode.avi.  This file will play fine but another file in the same folder with a longer filename will not.  If I move that file to a folder closer to the root, it will play fine.

I'd like to know whether to spend the time and rename all my files or wait for a fix in the firmware 1.08 release.  I noticed the beta is out now... maybe someone would know if it's fixed in that release.  I really don't want to test the new release if I don't have to.  It'd take too long to back up my harddrive and move the files back after upgrading.  It took me about 3+ hours initially to move about 120GB.  If I'm to rename all my files, I'd like to know the numeric limitation before doing so.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DNS-323 & XBOX 360 :: path limitations & upnp refreshing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »

Issue 1: What is happening when you do a manual refresh? Does the window just pop up as if it is beginning then sits at 0%?

Issue 2: I'm not sure in this case however updating the firmware does not affect the data on your hard drives you do not need to format the drives.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Bond13579

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:03:02 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply... much appreciated!

Issue #1: After doing a manual refresh a new window appears with the progress bar.  It DOES get to 100%.

Issue #2: Ok...  so I don't need to remove the HDs or anything?  just update?  I was following the instructions from dlink quoted below:

------------------
New firmware for the DNS-323 often affects the way hard drives are formatted and the way files are handled.

To avoid potential complications and loss of files, please back up all files to another location before upgrading firmware.

After the upgrade, re-format your hard drives if upgrading from Shipping firmware 1.00 or 1.01 and if hard drives are formatted in EXT3.

Once the hard drives have been re-formatted, it will be safe to move your files back onto the DNS.
--------------------

Bond13579

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:36:53 AM »

Taken from "Beta Firmware 1.08 Build 05 Release Notes"
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5485.0

34. Add support for spaces in filenames when using UPnP AV.
35. Improve filename length support in UPnP AV.

Can you provide the details on the fix for #35?  I believe this addresses my issue #2.
Also, what's #34?  I have spaces in most of my filenames and they play just fine.

Thanks!

Bond13579

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 08:22:42 AM »

I've upgraded to 1.08 and still have path / filename length limitations.  I'm going to have to go through my entire collection and rename the files  :(   I don't even know what the max length is...

Bond13579

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »

*** UPDATE ***

Issue 1:  With the upgrade to firmware 1.08b, the upnp server refresh is almost instant  :)  any new, modified, or deleted files on the DNS is instantly reflected on my XBOX 360.

Issue 2:  To begin, my folder structure on the DNS is as follows:

Volume 1
-> Music
-> Videos
   -> Movies
   -> TV Shows
        -> (name of show)
            -> Season 1
                -> 1x05-(name of episode).avi

I've determined that from the root of my videos folder, the XBOX 360 will ONLY play videos if the path/filename length is less than or equal to 81 characters in length.

As indicated in my previous post, #35 in the 1.08 release notes says "35. Improve filename length support in UPnP AV."  So I'm hoping this won't be an issue when the official production release is completed.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:46:04 AM »

*** UPDATE ***

Issue 1:  With the upgrade to firmware 1.08b, the upnp server refresh is almost instant  :)  any new, modified, or deleted files on the DNS is instantly reflected on my XBOX 360.

Issue 2:  To begin, my folder structure on the DNS is as follows:

Volume 1
-> Music
-> Videos
   -> Movies
   -> TV Shows
        -> (name of show)
            -> Season 1
                -> 1x05-(name of episode).avi

I've determined that from the root of my videos folder, the XBOX 360 will ONLY play videos if the path/filename length is less than or equal to 81 characters in length.

As indicated in my previous post, #35 in the 1.08 release notes says "35. Improve filename length support in UPnP AV."  So I'm hoping this won't be an issue when the official production release is completed.

So its a limitation of the XBox360 not the DNS-323.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream