• June 03, 2024, 06:28:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Opinions  (Read 56458 times)

cdnfreak

• Level 1 Member
Re: Opinions
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »

I've been using the new beta firmware for a few weeks with no problems, actually is running much better then the 1.11 or 1.10(which was actually really good) release was.

I bought the router a few months back and had been using v1.10 for a few months with no issues. upgraded to 1.11 when it became available but noticed that the Internet froze several times to the point that the router needed to be reset.

of note, when I went from 1.10 to 1.11 I needed to restore my custom settings.

Having had little success with the public release of 1.11 and seeing that others had been able to successfully upgrade to 1.11 beta. I loaded it up with no problems and did not have to reload the custom config.  WOO HOO!  ;D lol

Shaw Winnipeg - Motorola SB5100
D-Link DIR-655 A2 V1.10
Current up time since - 12:00 CT 12/07/2007

8uLiebr

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »

What is the proposed time line for the GA release of this new firmware?

b0t0x

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 05:51:19 PM »

I just installed the beta code. It appears marginally better than 1.11 - at least for my MacBook Pro, (802.11n) and running the Dlink in n/g mode, it seems to behave better. I never see it go above 130mbit/s (the Linksys WRT600n I tried locked in in 300mbit/s pretty consistently, but it had too many issues where it would take forever to respond to DHCP or would just drop off line randomly).

With the DIR-655 and the beta code, it seems to wander around a bit (from 130mbit all the way down to 11mbit, even tho the signal strength is solidly 100% - the machines are anywhere from 3ft to 15ft away), but less so than 1.11. My Dell XPS with its b/g adapter seems rock solid at 54mbit all the time. Not so with either of the two Mac Book Pro's here. I assume there is some interaction issue between the Airport Extreme in the MBP and the Dlink given that the 802.11n 'standard' isn't fully baked yet.

FWIW - I live out in the boonies, so there are no interferring signals in the 2.4Ghz range here - our cordless phones are 5Ghz.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:07:19 AM by b0t0x »

Suicide_Guy

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 09:13:19 PM »

I just installed the latest beta firmware on my DIR655 Rev_A3 and now I can no longer log in to the admin section. The only reason I even considered trying the beta firmware was because I hadn't read of any issues at all with it. This is really disappointing and I really hope my router isn't bricked now. :-/ Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried logging in using different browsers (IE, Fx, Opera). I've tried power cycling the router, all to no avail. I've tried the default router pass (which is blank) and my old router pass and neither have worked.

After a few times of attempting to log in the router, windows says that a network cable is unplugged and the router proceeds to measure my network connection.

Please help me. :-/

EDIT: After quite a few hard resets it just decided to randomly let me log in. yay
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 09:41:31 PM by Suicide_Guy »

chaat

• Level 1 Member
Beta appears to fix an issue with TN3270 thru VPN
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »

with firmware 1.11 I was constantly having my POWERTERM 3270 emulator session loose connection. it appears that with this beta firmware that issue seems to be fixed.   :)

Could you please post when this firmware will go to production / release status. Also if you have any new versions of the beta firmware I would be interested in looking at the change log and testing it.

Chuck H.

ps..  I wish I had seen this earlier as I worked on this for almost 3 weeks with my employers corporate support teams. without any success (it only worked when I put the corporate machine in the DMZ).

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 03:22:42 PM »

Unfortunately we do not have access to ETA's or current change logs. I'm sure once the code goes live there will be a change log included.

FearlessG1

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 08:08:41 PM »

well this firmware is working much better than 1.11 as far as the lag issue i had when connected via 802.11N but still a couple times a night while playing my games, connected via 802.11N, my ping pings 220+ for 5 minutes at a time.  then back down to 20 like it should be.  firmware 1.11 would have me pinging 220+ for 10 minutes at a time with a higher frequency.  still, i hope something is being worked on to correct this, i am a big gamer so the performance so far of this router has been FAR less than satisfactory...

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 09:27:15 AM »

What level of encryption are you running? Also do you own any 2.4ghz devices that are in close proximity to the router? Does this lag issue continue if you are hardwired?

FearlessG1

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »

there is no lag if i am hardwired, i have a laptop that is running windows home server that is connected via Ethernet and it pings 13-22 to the game server at all times.  i am using WPA2 AES encryption.  my phones are 5.8ghz and dect 6.0 (1.9 ghz??) i have an xbox 360 thats turned off, and a bluetooth mouse/keyboard.  I tried the dwa-552 then returned it thinking it was the problem since 802.11G works fine, but my new card, which is using an ralink chipset is doing the exact same thing, and connecting at only 270mb where as the dwa-552 was connecting at 300mb.  thing that really gets me is why would 802.11G work fine, but 802.11N not?  again with firmware 1.11 this problem was even worse, its better with this beta firmware but still extremely annoying as i play in leagues.

FearlessG1

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2008, 05:09:15 AM »

seems that the problem is just as frequent now as it was with the 1.11 firmware.  for the last 2 nights in a row i have been pinging 200+ to a server 30 miles away while connected via 802.11N but pining 13-22 when wired.  do i need to RMA this thing??

To add to this, when i ping 192.168.0.1 connected via wireless i get
Minimum = 416ms
Maximum = 1837ms
Average = 997ms

doing it again i get minimum 51, max 1535, average 635, so its all over the place.

I am also willing to allow you guys to remote into my router if you wanted to investigate.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:19:47 AM by FearlessG1 »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2008, 11:27:20 AM »

It kinda sounds like it could be the adapter card and not the router, when those pings hit high numbers, do you see a CPU spike?

FearlessG1

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 01:50:15 PM »

no CPU spikes, everything runs fine, just the ping spikes horribly.  Also keep in mind that the DWA-552 was doing the exact same thing, so i returned it thinking it was the adapter, and purchased a different brand adapter with a different chipset, but this new one is doing the same exact thing as well.  If i put my 802.11G adapter in the system it works perfectly.  So i have tried 2 different brand N adapters and both are doing the exact same thing.

I have also been watching the logs VERY closely today, and it looks like the router is restarting on its own, this morning when i checked it, it said it was connected for 3 hours, which means it lost connection in the middle of the night.  then i reset it manually to track a fresh log, now i just checked it again and it said it has been connected for 54 minutes.  and just while checking this it just reset again, saying its been connected for 36 seconds. 

looking at the log i see

Wireless system with MAC address 00XXXXXXXXXC disconnected for reason: AP maybe crash...
Above message repeated 2 times

and that is the MAC address of the router itself (edited for security).

I also see:
Wireless system with MAC address 00mydesktop5 disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication.

so the router seems to be crashing??

FearlessG1

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2008, 11:58:16 AM »

How do I go about RMA'ing this thing.  Ping has been in 200+ range constantly, not even moments of good ping, for about 5 days now.  I have tried multiple adapters, in different systems with the same results, only thing i have not tried is a new DIR-655 so it must be the problem.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2008, 01:32:35 PM »

Contact the normal support channels. You can let them know that you've been discussing the units failures with me on the forums. Their still going to want to troubleshoot. Just stick it out and do what they ask, and if the unit is failing a replacement will be provided I'm sure.

FearlessG1

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »

thanks tech's truly appreciate what you guys are doing here.  I will for sure be posting back here letting you know how the replacement is performing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6