• June 17, 2024, 03:52:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Auto Power On - Minor Hardware Modification  (Read 23047 times)

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
  • Retired Rocket Scientist
Auto Power On - Minor Hardware Modification
« on: October 30, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »

D-Link DNS-321 Auto Power On Hardware Modification
[Disclaimer:  You void your warrantee if you perform this modification.  You also take a chance to damage your NAS if you are not handy with a soldering iron.  If you damage your NAS, don't come running to me.  I have performed this modification on my Rev A2 unit (note the silk screen board states it's a Rev A1).]
Please read the entire document before tearing apart your NAS.

Before you start, one thing to note is that if you turn off your NAS, if you should have a power loss the NAS will start up when power returns.  I can't help that being this is a simple circuit.  The work around is to have a enable/disable switch like I have integrated here.

Parts required:
1) Capacitor (220uf to 800uf @ 5VDC to 25VDC)
2) Enable/Disable switch.  (I used a submini lever switch P/N: 275-016A, AKA microswitch) (Not required)
3) Small gauge insulated wire
4) Rubber Grommet
5) Quick Disconnect (this is a handy item to have but not required)
5) Solder & soldering iron (15 watts)
6) Patience and a plan of attack.

Getting inside the DNS-321
1) Remove the front cover.
2) Remove any hard drives installed and note which slot they were in.
3) Remove 5 screws securing the silver drive guide and set to the side.

4) Remove the rear top outer screws securing the back of the case to the outer frame.
5) Remove the 6 bottom screws.  Note that there screws are different from the others.
6) Gently push the bottom up and towards the rear.  The top should easily separate from the bottom.
7) Remove two screws in the inside rear which secures the metal frame to the SATA sockets.
8) Remove the 4 screws securing the metal frame to the bottom.
WARNING: The circuit board is now loose however the rear SATA connectors are not.  If you are going to remove the board you must remove the 4 remaining screws holding the SATA connectors in place.
9) Carefully remove the metal frame.

Modification
In my rendition I used the front cover, when lifted to disable my circuit.  This is how I will discuss the installation.
1) Dry fit your enable/disable switch, if you're using one.  As mentioned before, I used a microswitch and I needed a spacer so I could center it in the groove.  Since I didn't have very small wood screws to secure the switch to the spacer I opted to use some 12GA left over copper wire.  To keep the wood spacer from moving around I used my cheap version of double sided sticky tape (rolled electrical tape).  And I used small tie wraps.  When the front access door is opened up 1/2 inch, the microswitch opens the circuit and the Auto Power On feature is disabled.  Make sure you use the door to verify proper operation.  I had to bend my lever so it would activate the switch properly and ride smoothly on the plastic.

2) Dry fit your capacitor.  I didn't know the final placement until I mounted the switch (see later photos for my placement), it was then that I noticed I could mount it the way I did and eliminate one wire.  In my version, the negative lead of the capacitor connects (pressed against) the metal spring.  The entire unit, all metal frames are connected together and connected to the electrical ground so it saves us one wire to be routed.  You can of course route a separate ground wire if you like.
3) Mount your components.  Do not apply too much pressure to the capacitor.  If you do then you could short it out and you will wonder why the on/off switch doesn't work anymore.  If you're happy with the dry fit and it's easy to solder on those parts, mount them in place or if you need to do a little soldering, do that first.
4) Now it's time to solder the wire (I used an old 3 wire fan extension, red wire hot, black wire as an extra strain relief).  Since the frame is so sharp you need to use a grommet to protect the wire.  In my situation I had to run the wires through the grommet first, fish the wire through the unused holes, tied a single knot in each wire so it acts as a strain relief, and then solder the red wire in place.  The black wire is not connected, it's only used as an extra strain relief.  Be careful when doing this step because it's really the only part you could mess up.  If you solder to the wrong spot, it just won't work but you won't damage the NAS.

5) Now push that rubber grommet through one of the inner frame holes.  Note: a little saliva goes a long ways for lubricating a hard to insert grommet.  I've said this one so I'll repeat it...  The entire inner frame has sharp edges and you're taking a risk if you don't provide adequate protection for the wire.  Remember, this device vibrates and those little movements will wear through thin insulation.

6) We will solder the end of the wire to the switch after we reassemble the NAS.  Reverse the process above for putting the NAS back together but stop before putting the front metal plate with the switch.
7) Lay the metal plate in front of the NAS box and using the other end of the 3 wire fan extension, measure just enough wire so you can hold on to both ends and detach it.  Too much wire means you need to pay special attention when installing drives to keep from hanging on them.  Cut the wires and solder them to the switch.  I soldered the red wire to the microswitch and the black to the copper wire, again to act as a strain relief.  Unfortunately my connectors do not easily slide apart, a little force is required so I'm making it a little more robust.

8) Install the front plate.  Note in the first photo that the tie wrap would interfere with the drive pressure spring (caught it before installing a drive) so I have to cut that out and reposition a new tie wrap.

9) Install the front cover.  This photo shows all I need to do to disable the auto power on.

And a schematic that I totally forgot.  It's crude but it gets the job done (sorry it's so big).

Testing
1) With your power supply brick unplugged from the wall, connect it to the NAS.
2) Plug in the power supply.  The unit should power up.
3) Unplug the power supply from the wall.
4) Lift up the front cover to disable the Auto Power On feature.
5) Plug in the power supply.  The unit should remain off.
6) Wait until the unit is "Ready" and close the cover to enable the circuit.  The unit should not turn off.  If it does, it's possible the capacitor it too large a uf value and possibly bad.
7) Turn off the NAS using the On/Off button.
8) Turn on the NAS using the On/Off button.
9) Log in to your NAS configuration page.  If that works I think you're ready to turn off your NAS and reinstall the hard drives.  Remember to place them in the same location.
10) Turn on your NAS and ensure it works like normal.

-Joe
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:53:33 PM by JoeSchmuck »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Auto Power On - Minor Hardware Modification
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:19:49 PM »

Some of you guys amaze me :).

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »

Some of you guys amaze me :).

Too much time on my hands I guess  ;D

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »

Too much time on my hands I guess  ;D

Can't be that Joe, I have way too much time too, and I'd never think of something like that! Add to it the fact that I can't solder and then I have to agree with D-L M.  ;)  ;)  ;D
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:17:52 PM »

Way to go Joe.  I was trying to solve the problem from the back end and you solved the problem from the front end. If I can't find a place inside I will probably go to my local RS and buy one of those plastic boxes and put the disable switch and cap in it.

I knew that one of you electronics guys would figure it out.

I thought that it was funny that the factory supported one is not even manufactured yet.

Thanks Joe,

Terry

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 07:09:12 AM »

To be fair, the factory supported one will actually do the whole job, or at least I hope so.  To fully support this option, what should happen is the DNS-0321 should NOT power up if it has been normally powered off, only when it has had power removed while operating.  It would take some additional circuitry to do that, which is probably why it's only on the new boards.

Of course, they could write the powered up flag to the FLASH and do it with the old hardware, but I guess for some reason they've elected not to support that.  ???
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 09:05:11 AM »

To be fair, the factory supported one will actually do the whole job, or at least I hope so.  To fully support this option, what should happen is the DNS-0321 should NOT power up if it has been normally powered off, only when it has had power removed while operating.  It would take some additional circuitry to do that, which is probably why it's only on the new boards.

Of course, they could write the powered up flag to the FLASH and do it with the old hardware, but I guess for some reason they've elected not to support that.  ???

Yeah, it seems like it's always something, eh GRJ!  ;)  ;)  ;D
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 10:24:08 AM »

I've updated my original post with all the bells and whistles.  Now I wish I could fit a 60mm fan into the box.  Also, the fan had a standard 3 pin connector for those who wanted to know and the clock battery is under the circuit board.

-Joe

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 05:13:15 PM »

I should take pictures of my vent mod, it made a big difference in the internal temperature of the box, 4-5C just by giving it a little breathing room.

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 05:42:06 PM »

I should take pictures of my vent mod, it made a big difference in the internal temperature of the box, 4-5C just by giving it a little breathing room.

Go for it GRJ, then we can turn this thread into a "how to mod your 321 *after it's off warranty* thread".  ;) ;) ;D
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 05:44:14 PM »

I have to find a host site, this board is too lame to have a graphics capability internally.  I guess I need to sign up for one of the free graphics sites... ;)

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »

I have to find a host site, this board is too lame to have a graphics capability internally.  I guess I need to sign up for one of the free graphics sites... ;)

A lot of folks use these:

http://photobucket.com/

http://www.imageshack.us/

Hope it's ok to post these links on the forum here!  ???
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 07:59:10 PM »

A lot of folks use these:

http://photobucket.com/

http://www.imageshack.us/

Hope it's ok to post these links on the forum here!  ???

Now why didn't I think of that.

As for the comment on modding before warantee is up, my box is a week old, maybe a few days more.  What is the warantee period?  90 days, 1 year?

GRJ:  Yes, you should post the photos of your mod.  I too plan to make a mod for the air path.  The fan appears to only turn on when a sensor on the main circuit board gets warm, not reacting to the hard drive temps but maybe I just haven't experienced that part yet.  The temp sensor is not on the processor but rather seemingly far away from it, maybe 3/4".  It reacts quicky to blowing air across it.  There are many surface mounted items in that small area so I could not identify the specific device.  So my air flow modification would be to route the air primarily into the circuit board area.  I have another idea but the box would no longer look factory but virtually no dust would enter the device and you would never hear the fan run.  I was also thinking of a small slow internal circulating fan.  There are so may ways to skin this cat.

-Joe

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »

Now why didn't I think of that.

As for the comment on modding before warantee is up, my box is a week old, maybe a few days more.  What is the warantee period?  90 days, 1 year?

GRJ:  Yes, you should post the photos of your mod.  I too plan to make a mod for the air path.  The fan appears to only turn on when a sensor on the main circuit board gets warm, not reacting to the hard drive temps but maybe I just haven't experienced that part yet.  The temp sensor is not on the processor but rather seemingly far away from it, maybe 3/4".  It reacts quickly to blowing air across it.  There are many surface mounted items in that small area so I could not identify the specific device.  So my air flow modification would be to route the air primarily into the circuit board area.  I have another idea but the box would no longer look factory but virtually no dust would enter the device and you would never hear the fan run.  I was also thinking of a small slow internal circulating fan.  There are so may ways to skin this cat.

-Joe

Joe - I believe it's 1 year, but someone from Dlink correct me if I'm wrong please. And, maybe I thought of it first because I actually have way more time on my hands than you actually do?  :D  :D  ;D

And yeah, I'd like to get more air through my unit too. And it sounds like GRJ has done it in such a way that it *shouldn't* void warranty? But the higher volume of colder air should help to keep the hot part cooler and the cool parts would remain at room temps.  The only way I have found is to lift the front door about 1/2" and let the air pull from bottom front to upper rear.

And Joe, yer right, a very low RPM fan, almost *noiseless* but constantly spinning would be a key way to accomplish this. And, if you want to isolate the sensor to see what piece it is, open the box up while running, have the temp page up in a browser and then spray the individual components with a tiny bit of freon, then update the webpage quickly. You would find out which piece it is quite easily with that method. I use it all the time at work to identify hot server pieces. It might take a few tries unless you are fairly certain which piece it is, but the end result is worth it. Then I can direct a cooling flow of fresh air directly at the hot component.

Just a thought, or 2, while I'm handing out candy to the little spooks and goblins running around here tonight...8-)))

Ryder
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:41:38 PM by Ryder »
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 06:42:34 AM »

Joe - I believe it's 1 year, but someone from Dlink correct me if I'm wrong please. And, maybe I thought of it first because I actually have way more time on my hands than you actually do?  :D  :D  ;D

It's 1 year.  Tech support is 90 days in the US.

And yeah, I'd like to get more air through my unit too. And it sounds like GRJ has done it in such a way that it *shouldn't* void warranty? But the higher volume of colder air should help to keep the hot part cooler and the cool parts would remain at room temps.  The only way I have found is to lift the front door about 1/2" and let the air pull from bottom front to upper rear.

I too have my NAS front cover cracked open, about 1/4" for me.

And Joe, yer right, a very low RPM fan, almost *noiseless* but constantly spinning would be a key way to accomplish this. And, if you want to isolate the sensor to see what piece it is, open the box up while running, have the temp page up in a browser and then spray the individual components with a tiny bit of freon, then update the webpage quickly. You would find out which piece it is quite easily with that method. I use it all the time at work to identify hot server pieces. It might take a few tries unless you are fairly certain which piece it is, but the end result is worth it. Then I can direct a cooling flow of fresh air directly at the hot component.

Just a thought, or 2, while I'm handing out candy to the little spooks and goblins running around here tonight...8-)))

Ryder

I didn't have any compressed gas on me except a shop compressor.  That's a little too much air.

As for the hot component, there are two of those and the temp sensor does not detect those temperatures directly as far as I can tell.  Here is a photo.

The larger chip to the right has a recessed area (the circle) so placing a heatsink on that would be a challenge to ensure good surface contact.  The chip on the left is flat but small.  A small heatsink could be epoxied to the chip but that would make it irreversable.  I suspect these chips were designed to run as hot as they get.  I wish I have an IR thermometer to measure those temps but I don't.  Also, looks like the fan turns on when the system temp reaches 114/115 degrees and turns off around 109 degrees.  These are low temps.  I will give it some thought on a ventilation upgrade and how to implement it where it's fully reversable.  Now that I have the microswitch in my NAS my original idea will not work.  Yea, getting air to the right spots will be difficult.  But I now have an idea and it's reversable, but will it work well, that's the real question.

And a photo of the underbelly of the beast

Note the poor looking thru hole soldering locations.  Looks like someone cleaned it with a fiberglass brush.  I'm not sure this was or wasn't a refurbed unit but it's works so I'm happy.  You can also see the RTC battery.  It's a poor place to locate it since you have to tear apart the entire machine to replace it.  The next time I open my NAS (probably to modifiy the ventilation) I will replace the battery.  I don't want to have to open it up again for a long time.

Joe
Pages: [1] 2