• June 15, 2024, 03:19:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: P2P application broken - NOW RESOLVED!  (Read 22868 times)

Cheenah

• Level 1 Member
P2P application broken - NOW RESOLVED!
« on: October 18, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »

The P2P application refuses to show "Download Tasks" or to start new downloads.  It was in the process of downloading 5 items and was working fine but it stopped downloading.  I checked the P2P page and the bottom half "Download Tasks" appears to start loading then it DISAPPEARS!  I have rebooted the NAS, stopped then started the P2P app, reinstalled P2P, uninstalled then reboot then reinstall the app.  I have done all sorts of browser fixes like dumping cache, trying different browsers on different PCs, I'm pretty certain it's not a browser issue. 

Curiously, the Download Tasks frame starts to load before disappearing.  I have 2 screenshots here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulycheenah/sets/72157622614135462/

I'm running Firmware 1.03.  I'm guessing the D-Link support will tell me to reload the NAS defaults, but gosh I'd hate to lose all my settings.  Is there a way to back up all the configurations I have made?

I've searched the forums and it doesn't seem anyone else has had problems with this, even the earlier Beta version firmware and P2P.  Help!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:55:29 PM by Cheenah »

Cheenah

• Level 1 Member
Re: P2P application broken
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:45:39 PM »

I found how to back up the configuration so I will try resetting to defaults then reloading the config.  Wish me luck....

Cheenah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »

I did a config backup, restore to defaults and reload config settings.  No help.   ???

jbray

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:12:43 AM »

Have you looked into Fonz fun-plug.  I installed it using the 0.5 version from here http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/
and then Transmission from here
http://www.shadowandy.net/2009/01/transmission-142-for-dns-323.htm
And you don't need clutch, the html interface works great.
I know it says 323, but it works great on the 321.
been downloading torrents ever since.

peas

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:33:10 AM »

jbray - do you know of an easy way to use Moblock on the DNS-321 ?  It's the Linux equivalent of PeerGuardian.

http://moblock.berlios.de/

jontomsu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 10:01:12 PM »

I've searched the forums and it doesn't seem anyone else has had problems with this, even the earlier Beta version firmware and P2P.  Help!!

Not true... I reported issues like these back in beta and was told my copy (of P2P client) was old.  I have seen many instances where the P2P client just stops working (terminates with exception) and others where something goes awry and everything seems to be going slow.

I have learned to deal with it though by understanding that ssh, screen, ffp and the filesystem can be used to make sure you can recover when this instability is encountered.

I have ffp installed so I can ssh to the little black box directly.  I run screen so when I disconnect my session is still running and I can pop back in later.  This is really helpful when I want to know what messages/exceptions were thrown by the p2p client.  To manually start / stop the p2p client from ssh you can call /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/P2P/start.sh or /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/P2P/stop.sh scripts.  When you are running in screen and execute the start script you will see messages output when interacting with the web interface.  For example, if you add a torrent via a URL you'll see the P2P client call wget to download the torrent and if you start/stop/delete the torrent you will see those messages as well.  This is the best I can do for logging...

Your symtoms sound like what I have seen where you may have left the torrents on for a couple of hours, and the upload/seeding has been going on.  I'm not sure if this is the culprit, but I do know from experience that if this p2p client has been running for a while it will eventually fail and slow the box down to where you want to just turn it off-on again.

When I experience this I will run the stop script and notice everything just peps up again.  Then comes the manual cleanup.  In /mnt/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/P2P/.torrents you'll find potentially three files for each torrent.  Their names will be identical except for the extension - .torrent, .fastresume, or .finished.  If there is a .finished and the file(s) is found in /mnt/HD_a2/P2P/complete then you can just remove the three torrent files.  Once this is cleaned up you can go ahead and run the start script.  Everything should run normally again.

One event that I know will cause the p2p client to break is if you've had the webgui open past the expiration limit and you click on the remove completed button.  Basically, the P2P page keeps updating becuase it pulls status via AJAX and not a post-back.  So when you click the button to remove the completed torrents the page determines that your session expired but the action to remove the torrents is still triggered.  But, by then it doesn't know the indexes of the torrents.  Rather than handle it gracefully the p2p client throws an exception and dies.

I'd love to see how they implmented the libtorrent code but I never got a response on seeing it.  For what it is worth I used to run chroot debian with rtorrent and it worked great, but this method is much easier for the layman (kinda?) and having it plugged in through the webui is a great feature.  But, there is still much progress to be made.

xvalue

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:23:03 AM »

I am having the same problem. When I add a torrent to the queue, the pinwheel starts and when it seems that it has loaded the torrent, the bottom half of the interface disappears. It happened a week or so ago and I started to use my regular torrent client instead. Last night I tried again and it worked. My queue was back. After one download, I tried adding another torrent and it happened again.

Any thoughts? Is this just a bug that we have to wait to get fixed? Or is there anything I can do.

I'm not interested in any of the fun plug things as I like the webui.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 10:54:03 AM »

Do you have any test torrent files that can be provided to replicate this. Preferably not something the RIAA or MPA will see as unfit for distribution...

xvalue

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »

i will have to find one. :)

Would there be a mechanism in place that would not allow these 'types' of torrents? Hypothetically?

Cheenah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 04:30:13 PM »

To the moderator: here is a torrent I am trying to download.  This is not the only torrent I have problems with but you asked for an example.  This torrent is legit, a patch for the game Battlefield 2:
http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=3740

I have created a video screen capture of what happens, you'll see I add a torrent, the page looks like it's starting the process then the lower half of the screen just goes blank.  See link below for video.  I can confirm the torrent is NOT downloading in the background, so it's more than the webpage GUI problem. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulycheenah/4033470058/

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »

To the moderator: here is a torrent I am trying to download.  This is not the only torrent I have problems with but you asked for an example.  This torrent is legit, a patch for the game Battlefield 2:
http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=3740

I have created a video screen capture of what happens, you'll see I add a torrent, the page looks like it's starting the process then the lower half of the screen just goes blank.  See link below for video.  I can confirm the torrent is NOT downloading in the background, so it's more than the webpage GUI problem. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulycheenah/4033470058/

Are you able to download any torrents at this point or do only certain torrents give you an issue?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Cheenah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 06:04:11 PM »

I am not able to download any torrents, I do not know why the moderator would ask me if I am able to download any torrents at this time as I just posted a video an hour ago showing exactly how P2P is broken.  See the thread above, I am not alone with this problem. 

This is not related to only certain torrents.  I have tried 7 different torrents from different websites all for different files.  I have re-tried starting the same torrents numerous times.  P2P has not worked once since it originally broke. 

The problem is simple: there is a file on my NAS that is corrupt, be it HTML or similar or maybe even a config file.  This device isn't that complex. 

xvalue

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 06:37:19 AM »

I'm still not having any success with my p2p.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »

I asked if you were able to download any torrents because you stated "This is not the only torrent I have problems with but you asked for an example." sounding as if you had some that worked I would have expected something like none of the torrent will work after this issue occurred. Anyways...We are currently investigating this issue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dherman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 02:25:33 PM »

I am having the same issue... additionally, the settings page is unusable for me

Torrent save path    
Access Error: Data follows
when trying to obtain /cgi-bin/p2p.cgi?&947253667822894

CGI generated no output

Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3