• April 25, 2024, 11:23:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Accidentally Deleted File  (Read 15476 times)

KDB

• Level 1 Member
Accidentally Deleted File
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »

Had my DNS-323 for four days, just deleted a file and immediatly realized I needed that file.  It wasn't in my last backup.  A recycle bin sure would be handy.  (Not sure I want to hack to add one.) 

I have a large photograph collection filed in folders by date.  Year/Month/Filename.[RAW|JPG]  I usually edit files and save them in the same folder with a sequence number added.

I guess I could put user permissions on to set the folder to read-only after the files are loaded from my camera.   Then maybe set up a sub-folder that is read-write to save the edited files.

Anyone have advise on file structure for file security?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Accidentally Deleted File
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 05:27:30 PM »

Words to live by.

Remember: Data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about.

Just because you have the files on a RAID-1 NAS, that doesn't mean you have backup.  RAID of any level is not backup, it's just hardware fault protection, a performance boost, or both.  However, it's not backup of any kind!  If you don't have the file anywhere else, you have one copy , no matter what RAID level you run.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

rsbrace

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »

Look at file recovery software. Google or download.com will give you plenty of choices.

Your chances of recovering the file will vary but if it is that important is may be worth the research time.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »

Off the NAS?  I really doubt it.  Without a previously installed package, the general rule of thumb for network files is "once it's deleted, it's gone!". ;)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

ordimania

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:44:24 PM »

Did u recover ur files?
I have the same problems, i tried differents softwares, but i faild to recover my files

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »

Unless D-Link Engineering implements a "Recycle Bin" of sorts, your only alternative to file recovery will be via a non-warranty hack ... and that's still not guaranteed.

I usually:

• Work on the files from my Local workstation HDD
  • Use a comparison tool (BeyondCompare) to update the DNS; LOCAL HDD -> DNS
  • Backup my DNS daily or weekly based on the amount of file activity to another DNS using the same comparison tool; DNS1 -> DNS2

gsmyer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »

One option that you can do is the download and install the following in your Windows OS:
Ext2IFS (http://www.fs-driver.org/) and/or R-Linux (http://www.data-recovery-software.net/Linux_Recovery.shtml)

Once installed, these files allow you to read the data from one RAID disk when you have the disk physically plugged into your computer like a slaved hard drive. Once you see the hard drive in your OS, then simply use a data recovery tool on the drive and it should work. I have had the best luck though with O&O UnErase (http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oounerase/index.html). Great piece of software that I have been able to recover data that I have deleted in the past.

ordimania

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 12:26:53 AM »

i tried different softwares to recover my files an i could recover it with unistal linux recovery (for windows platform)

i bought this software, i plugged one of the hard drive in a pc and and i recovered my files.
that's one solution