• April 19, 2024, 05:19:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-628 Shareport Problem  (Read 13958 times)

Grimmjow

• Level 1 Member
DIR-628 Shareport Problem
« on: September 01, 2009, 04:36:23 PM »

Firmware: 1.22NA
Shareport Utility Version: 1.1.0 R1

Hi! I plugged in a USB disk in the Shareport but it won't connect. I have included the shareport utility on the exemption list but it still won't work...

ninjaneer

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-628 Shareport Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:51:39 AM »

Having been over a number of these posts, and having the same issues, I have found the ONLY solution albeit temporary, is to REBOOT your router.

You will have a chance to access your USB device(s) for a short period of time.  (from hours to a couple days) before you will need to reset it again.

Frustrating, I know. 

Please D-Link, let's get a solution quickly.

MGBJAY

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:43:23 PM »

OK...I see that no one has posted anything to this particular issue for 120 days...however, there was never any resolution to the problem, which is why I am taking the time.

I have just purchased an DIR-628 and installed and used it to my satisfaction for three months. Recently I was notified that there was a "firmware update" for the unit. Being unable to resist installing the new update...that is just the way that I am...some of you may relate :-\...I installed it and did everything that this choice requires of you, so I'll not bore you with all the details.

Everything went well and before you knew it I was back on-line running the NEW updated version of the day. As you are all aware...literally NOTHING changed as a result of this. BUT IT WAS THE NEW FIRMWARE VERSION and that was what was really important. ;D

Then came my huge disappointment...my SHAREPORT utility no longer worked. It worked just fine on the previous issue of the firmware, but not with the new update.

And there was nothing that I did not try to MAKE it work.

But thanks to GOOGLE...I stumbled upon an article and discovered the solution. There is a company called SILEX TECHNOLOGIES:  http://www.silexamerica.com/

...they are the originators of the software that SHAREPORT is based upon. It is called SX VIRTUAL LINK and it is available for FREE dnld at the following link:

http://www.silexamerica.com/support/downloads/software/svl/win/sx-virtual_link_win_340.zip

Simply dnld the .zip file...extract it, run the "INSTALL" package and voila'...the USB port on your Dlink Router once again becomes joyfully alive and useful. ::)

The software is seriously more robust that the version of it that Dlink offers.

Sorry...no drama here - merely a solution to what it seems was a problem that Dlink has NEVER made any effort to address.

I hope this is as useful to someone out there ans it was to me.

Cheers, Jay Sigal...Cleveland Ohio.

eddelgado

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »

This did not work for me.  I am one of the poor bastards that enjoyed shareport until upgrading to 1.22.

I went out and installed this SX_virtual link.  Hey it worked great - for a few days.  Now it is back to the old connects and disconnects..

Ed

MGBJAY

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 07:45:32 PM »

I am so sorry to hear that. I too experienced this issue as well. What I did was to "fiddle" with it for a few days, and much to my amazement...I seem to have it working the way that it should. UNFORTUNATELY...the fiddling that I did with it...I never actually documented what it was that I did, therefore have no great suggestions.

I will say that I did reinstal it once, but I do not believe that had any effect at all. Nevertheless, I did get it working to the point that I now am able to use the "net" drive from both my desktop as well as my laptop, though not together as I am sure that you are aware...it is one or the other.

All of that said, I think and recommend that you not give up on the SX version. It does work, and it just takes a little goosing to get it right for your system. I might say that their TECH SUPPORT system is quite responsive. Give them a shot.

Cheers.

Jay Sigal
Cleveland, OH

ineedaname

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 08:44:07 AM »

I've been having similar problems I'm on fw 1.23NA and after I switched I can't use my printer on my shareport.  Its wasted so much paper already.  It prints out tons of half pages for every good page it prints out and at least 3 blank pages per one page printed.

pepsiboy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »

I am having similar problems with my DIR-628.  I upgraded the firmware to 1.23NA and Shareport utility v1.10.  Shareport is not able to see my printer (Canon iP4000) when I am connected wirelessly.  When I am connected using a wired connection I have no problem connecting to the printer.  I am at the point where I want to return the router and go with a Linksys (yuk).

Dlink needs to fix this issue.

pepsiboy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 05:14:08 AM »

I was finally able to solve the problem that I was having.  For me I was getting an error that stated that no device servers could found on network.  After opening the Shareport utility and modifying the options to include the the IP address of the Device Server.

Not sure why I had to do this since my PC is on the same network.