• October 27, 2020, 11:30:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: I have a DSL-G225 but its not listed - question about openDNS  (Read 1318 times)

moshiachnow

• Level 1 Member

B"H

I know this is about a different router but please cut me some slack - someone here probably knows how to solve this issue and I don't find this model listed. I set up the router, and changed the DNS settings to the settings required to get openDNS to work. I also changed the DNS settings in the PCs adapter to the same settings.

When I run openDNS using my old router (a Netgear) openDNS gives me detailed reports about traffic on my network. When I run it using the D-Link, I get, at the most, only two domains listed.

Does anyone know what I need to do that I am not doing to get openDNS to work?

Thanks.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: I have a DSL-G225 but its not listed - question about openDNS
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 12:26:04 PM »

What region are you located?
This model modem probably does not support any other 3rd party DDNS sites from what is preset already with in the UI.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 12:32:51 PM »

From OpenDNS:

There are usually 2 reasons why OpenDNS is not logging traffic - 1) your devices is not pointing to OpenDNS, and 2) your IP address is not current. Can you check your router/device settings to see if you are pointed to us? Also, you can check on your Dashboard to see if your IP address is up-to-date as most home users have dynamic IP addresses. If both of these are correct, then please send us a ticket with your diagnostic test results. Instructions on how to run the test can be found here: https://support.opendns.com/entries/21841580-Diagnostic-Tool-Link-and-Instructions

Also what Furry said. Was your netgear a modem/router also? Are you using the G225 as a modem or is it bridged behind another modem?

moshiachnow

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:46:36 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply. The modem/router is pointed to OpenDNS (if by that you mean that it is pointing to the OpenDNS nameservers). I also changed the DNS settings in the network adapter to the same values, thinking that it might help. The IP address is current - according to the OpenDNS Updater ver 2.2.1 and the dashboard. I DO have a dynamic IP address. And the Netgear was also a modem/router (VVG2000) and the G225 is the only device between the phone line and the network.

I notice, however, that the IP address of the network in the Domains report at the top of the page where it says Domains for [name of network: IP address] is not the one that shows up on the OpenDNS updater and at the top of the dashboard. I just went in and added the current IP address, but shouldn't this update automatically?

I ran the diagnostics and the results are at https://diagnostic.opendns.com/d/5658803896844288

Thanks.

[added a day later]: After updating the IP address, it SEEMS to be working just fine.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:44:50 PM by moshiachnow »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 10:58:45 AM »

Glad it's working now. Enjoy.  ;)
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!