+  D-Link Forums
|-+  D-Link ShareCenter Network Storage» DNS-323» "Connection has not been restored"
Username:
Password:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Connection has not been restored"  (Read 3552 times)
WeeWilly
Level 1 Member

« on: August 05, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »

For a few months now I have been running a DNS-323 connected to a Linksys WRT54GS version 2 wireless router.  I run a desktop and laptop that are wirelessly connected to the DNS-323 through the router.  On each of these computers drive letter Z has been mapped to the DNS-323.   Operating system:  Windows XP 5.1 SP3.

The connection often works without a hitch.  However, randomly, when in trying to connect to the DNS-323 (for example, using Explorer) I fail with a message saying that connection Z has not been restored, or that "Z:\ is not accessible".  This is infuriating as I cannot discern what event triggers his unhappy outcome.  Remapping the drive solves the problem, and things will be fine until this happens again.

Suggestions anyone?

Many thanks.
fordem
Level 10 Member

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 05:34:21 PM »

Suggestions?

Ditch the wireless  Wink

Seriously - try connecting using an ethernet cable for a while, if it fixes the problem, you'll know it is the wireless and I'll be happy to explain exactly what I think triggers it.

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.
WeeWilly
Level 1 Member

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:13 AM »

Thanks, fordem - this is a good suggestion, and DUH, one that I stupidly didna' think of myself!   Sorry for the delay in replying to you, but I was away for a time.  Regards.
fordem
Level 10 Member

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:15:46 PM »

yeah - how does it work wired?

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.
WeeWilly
Level 1 Member

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 03:58:16 PM »

This will take a long time to check out, fordem.  After all, even wireless, this mapping was only lost from time-to-time, and several weeks could pass without the mapping's being dropped at all (although it could also drop two times in one week).  To illustrate, my mapping to the DNS-323 has not dropped since I posted my request asking for an explanation!   When it does, I shall hard connect to the router, per your suggestion, and try it out for a month or two. 

Incidentally - although it may well be related to this problem - I have recently changed my AV-protection because my response times had deteriorated to utterly unacceptable levels.  Since that change, my response times have reduced dramatically - specifically, to something between a tenth and a fifth of what they were.  Here, by "response time" I mean the time between entering a command (eg, clicking on an icon, or on a web page) and when the command is finished executing.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by webtechnica.com.