• August 12, 2020, 03:18:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGS-1210-10P too hot  (Read 1907 times)

mohahn

DGS-1210-10P too hot
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:59:35 AM »

I'm using a DGS-1210-10P in a very small equipment room. The switch becomes very hot, so you cannot touch its surface. As it's rackmounted in a mini wall rack and there is only 1u space below the switch an active cooling solution would not suffice.
Now, I thought about adding a big heatsink on the bottom side of the switch case. What do you think?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DGS-1210-10P too hot
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:23:19 AM »

Can you provide a picture of where this switch is located?

More ventilation room maybe needed. Can you test the switch out side the room to see if it gets hot just sitting on a desk by chance?
Maybe some forced induction air should be looked at in this room or in the rack where this switch is mounted.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

titusc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »

I'm using a DGS-1210-10P in a very small equipment room. The switch becomes very hot, so you cannot touch its surface. As it's rackmounted in a mini wall rack and there is only 1u space below the switch an active cooling solution would not suffice.
Now, I thought about adding a big heatsink on the bottom side of the switch case. What do you think?
I'm having the same problem.  I actually purchased this switch because I saw majority of the power consumed in Watts are available to PoE.
Without a fan, it's actually keeping the heat inside.

I have another Dlink switch without PoE at another site and run a passive PoE injector in line to provide power.  This works out to be significantly cheaper than buying a PoE switch and is also extremely cool.  The non PoE switch is cold and the power supply providing power to the PoE injector is also cold.  Neither has a fan nor is it required.  The non PoE DLink switch + Power Supply for the PoE Injector + PoE Injector sits in a completely sealed space that has no space left after putting these three items with only holes for a 12CM fan that never comes on.  I'd highly recommend doing it this way unless you are putting PoE switches in a proper rack with proper cooling.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »

Thanks for posting however the OP has removed themselves from the forum and not longer is available. I hope this help any other future user.

Good Luck.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!