• April 23, 2024, 05:16:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-5010L constantly cycling day/night mode  (Read 11546 times)

srevelation

• Level 1 Member
DCS-5010L constantly cycling day/night mode
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:17:33 AM »

This is a 100% repeatable condition.
New, out-of-box unit configured only for 'manual' day/night or 'always daytime' mode, no other configuration from factory settings.

Place unit about 2-4 inches from a typical window screen with daytime lighting beyond the screen.  (This would be a common Use Case of having unit on window sill viewing outside of house that has windows with screens in them)
The unit will start a 10 second cycle of
1. unit IR clicks into place and unit freezes (no live video)
2. after 5 seconds, IR clicks back off, last few frames of IR video sent and unit resets to day mode
3. 5 seconds of live daytime video

repeat 1-3 ad infinitum

Has been tested with two units (original unit flashed with 1.03 code, as well as RMA new unit that had 1.03 preloaded)

I see this as either a software bug or perhaps a QA test condition (point unit at test chart which will cause software to cycle IR to validate day/night mode works).  If it is the latter, then this test duplicates a valid Use Case and test case conditions need to change.

26 Aug 2014: update -- make sure when recreating the condition that the room is darker (no reflection of indoor light onto the window)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:20:19 PM by srevelation »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: DCS-5010L constantly cycling day/night mode
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:32:02 AM »

Does it do this away from the screen?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »

Same question as RYAT3.  How does the DCS-5010L behave when the unit is placed in an artificially lit room with static lighting conditions?  
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

srevelation

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:41 PM »

There is no problem when used to view an indoor scene.  However, that isn't my Use Case for this unit.  The Use Case is that the device is placed in a window to view outside yard/door.
BTW I am now on my 3rd RMA unit (the company is quite willing to work with me to troubleshoot, but has concluded each time I have a "defective hardware unit" and sends an RMA).  I find it odd that three randomly tested units all exhibit the same hardware defect.  So, based on this scientific testing, the possible outcomes are 1) hardware defect and a hardware bug should be logged and this fixed (or if this unit is going to be EOL, then publish this as a known defect so that we don't try to use this product this way); 2) given that switching the device to daytime only mode and yet the unit continues to switch in/out of night mode, I would logically log this as a software bug because the unit is not behaving the way it is configured to behave. 

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »

I've personally used the DCS-5010L facing outdoors and haven't experienced any issues.  I currently use a DCS-5020L, which also faces a window that uses approximately 30% of the field of view and haven't had any major issues except for the camera toggling between Day/Night modes when the sun passes behind a cloud causing the light level to drop. The DCS-5010L and DCS-5020L have identical hardware except for the case color and Network Extender mode on the DCS-5020L.

Out of curiosity, is the camera sitting in direct sunlight by the window -- i.e. is the camera getting very hot from direct exposure to the sun? Did you try testing the camera in Always Night Mode?  Did you try moving the camera further back from the window (just for testing purposes)?

srevelation

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 04:22:27 AM »

30% of the view isn't enough to trigger this action.  If I move the camera back from the window so that it does not cover the entire view and the screen lines are  no longer visible then it is fine.  It is not in direct sun -- thought about the heat issue as well.  What you describe as "going behind a cloud" toggling sounds like what I experience all the time.  I'm curious -- is your day/night set to auto when it does this light level and toggling?  I have a feeling that even if you had it on day mode only it would toggle under your "cloud" conditions. 

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:53:16 AM »

There is no problem when used to view an indoor scene.  However, that isn't my Use Case for this unit.  The Use Case is that the device is placed in a window to view outside yard/door.

Remove the screen.  The screen is the problem.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »

I'm curious -- is your day/night set to auto when it does this light level and toggling?  I have a feeling that even if you had it on day mode only it would toggle under your "cloud" conditions. 

Due to the fluctuating light conditions I keep the camera fixed in Day Mode Schedule and enable Night Mode daily (e.g. 7 PM). I've never experienced the camera spontaneously switching between Day/Night Modes if the camera is Manually set in either Day Mode or Night Mode. If the camera is manually set in Day Mode, it should never spontaneously toggle to Night Mode unless you have it set to transition on a schedule.

As RYAT pointed out, the presence of a screen can play havoc with the lighting. Sun and indirect light reflecting and shadows cast off the edges of the screen grid can create unstable lighting.

wlciii

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 01:19:52 PM »

At night, when the camera is placed near a window, the LED lights that come on during night mode reflect off of the window and "confuse" the camera into going back into day mode. Then when the LEDs turn off the camera goes back into night mode and the cycle repeats. These are not good cameras to use when looking out windows for this reason.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »

At night, when the camera is placed near a window, the LED lights that come on during night mode reflect off of the window and "confuse" the camera into going back into day mode. Then when the LEDs turn off the camera goes back into night mode and the cycle repeats. These are not good cameras to use when looking out windows for this reason.

That's known. You can't use ir's LEDs behind a window.
Get a dcs2230 and you can turn off the ir led and still look out the Window at night without issue.

The 5010l is dirt cheap for a reason, it lacks a lot of features.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 07:23:25 AM »

If you want to stick with the DCS-5010L, you can cover the IR illuminators with electrical tape (or another opaque material).  This approach will keep the camera in night mode, but you won't have the benefit of the IR lights.  You can also purchase an external IR illumnator that you can keep outside to illuminate the area you're monitoring.

srevelation

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 06:19:23 AM »

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  As the moderator points out, in order to minimize problems due to the sensor, it is set for DAY MODE only.  However, the problem persists.  For those mentioning that the IR
doesn't work behind a window due to reflection, I will mention that when the device puts itself into
"night mode" that is somewhat of a misnomer.  The IR filter is being switched in and out, but the IR
lights are not coming on when the filter is engaged.