• July 07, 2020, 06:48:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-815 question  (Read 6720 times)

RichA1

• Level 1 Member
DIR-815 question
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:35:30 AM »

Quick question, I am in the market for a new router, I want a dual band, and saw the DIR-815 on sale for $40.
Since this is so cheap is there a reason for this, is this an old router, would it be worth spending the $40 or is it near EOL?

Thanks.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-815 question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »

It's good for the price. Is it a Rev A or B, there is a Rev B avilalbe.

I haven't seen much development on the 815 and I presume it maybe headed to EOL as there are other newer generation routers out there, i.e. DIR-826L/836L.

I presume most of the bugs have been worked out and only issues that D-Link would address would be any security issues that are seen on there security web page.

If your just needed a router for general useage and nothing too specific, $40 bucks is cheap. If your getting it for the parents or someone just needing a router for general use, you'll be good.

I'd run some comparison on newer gens as a alternative before you buy.

Let us know what you get.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

RichA1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »

Thanks for the info.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:53:06 AM »

;)
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

RichA1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »

Decided to get it since it came to $35 on sale. It is a Rev.B, so far so good, for the price for a dual band you can't go wrong for a backup router.
I have an old Netgear router that is also dual band that I loved, but recently it is dropping connections, and it is also making loud creaking thumping noises, it is starting to overheat, I always clear dust from it, and I power the wifi off when I am not using it (Netgear routers have wifi power off/on switches on the back), but the creaking plastic/thumping noises tell me it is about to fail.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »

Maybe just the plastic is heating up and causing noises.

Glad you go one. Come back and visit if you need help and information.

Enjoy.  ;)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

RichA1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 06:28:23 AM »

Had to return it for a refund. I had to constantly reboot the router as WiFi (particularly 5Ghz) would keep dropping.
I will hold off to see if D-link or Netgear has something I can use.
I bought this from a Amazon seller, and although it was marketed as new, I can almost guarantee it was refurbed, no standard packaging, it was shrink wrapped, but anyone can shrink wrap a package.
All the contents inside the box looked fine, but the router itself looked opened and resealed/resused.
One good thing, it shipped via Amazon, and they are pretty good about this.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 06:55:17 AM »

Too late to troubleshoot now then. I got my Rev A in. Wireless was unstable as well on both radios, until I updated the shipping FW to v1.04. Stable and good router now.

Wish we could have helped.

What region are you located?

Even though the DIR-825 has gone into EOL, thats a stable router. Gave mine to my buddy down the street from me. Still has it. You might try that if you find a used one. I got mine from a guy here on the forums. I would recommend the Rev B version of it. Or try DIR-820L, 836L or DIR-850L. And you returned the DIR-826L. And we didn't figure out what was wrong with that did we? 

Seems that you've been thru some routers lately. I wonder if there is something in your surroundings or environment that could be causing some bad router behavior?  ???