• April 26, 2024, 01:13:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can the DNS-320 be made network discoverable?  (Read 4644 times)

agardk

• Level 1 Member
Can the DNS-320 be made network discoverable?
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »

Hello all,

I have had a DNS-320 up and running on my home network for some time now and am fairly happy with it. But the one issue I do have is that the device does not seem to be network discoverable. By that I me in does not appear in "Network" on any of our Win 7 or Win 8 machines.

I can reach it fine with the IP and map its folders as network drives but just can't seem to get it to show up in Network. I this possible?

This came up again because I was given a comparable Buffalo NAS to evaluate and it shows up as a computer in Network by default.

Oh, I should have mentioned, this is H/W Ver.: A1  F/V Ver.: 2.00

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:01:34 AM by agardk »

cable2

• Level 3 Member
Re: Can the DNS-320 be made network discoverable?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »

Hi,
Do you have home network setup and are all your computers and devices using the same network name?  Check to see that network discovery and file sharing are enabled on all computers.
Unless the network is incorrectly configured, you should still be able to map the 320 to your computers in this format, \\Dlink-xxxxx\ , with the x's being the number from the nas. 
Can you find the Dlink IP with the software or within your router settings?  If you make any changes to your network, reboot everything to see if it makes any difference.    Good luck

agardk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 12:35:46 PM »

Yes, I have a fairly extensive network already set up. And yes, network discovery is enabled.

Perhaps I should have also mentioned a couple of things:

I am a network engineer by profession so not exactly a newbie when it comes to winding my way around a simple home network.

computers, printers, wireless devices, media servers all included, there are well over 2 dozen devices currently on the network and all of then, except the DNS320 show up in the network neighborhood.

I can not find a setting in the device to enable this function but given the type of device it is, it's inconceivable to me that it would not be discoverable.

And as I mentioned, I can access the device and map shares using the IP. I haven't tried by name because it has always been simpler and lees error ****e to use IPs. But now that you mention it. I give it a try. Though that really has nothing to do with this issue. 

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:38:58 PM by agardk »

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 06:58:36 AM »

Hi again,
I hope the "newbie" suggestions weren't too irritating.  I am not a network engineer for sure, but one thing I noticed is that you are using some older firmware for your 320.  The official listed changes for the various different updates do not specifically list this issue but this kind of "omission" is not unusual.  Anyway, as a last resort, you might wish to consider trying to upgrade your 320's firmware.  Be aware though that some of these I believe are not reversable and the last one 2.05 is surely a beta, although not 100% certain.  I have been stable with the 2.03 version, but I have no idea if that is related to your issue.  If you decide to try the upgrade route, I might suggest stepping through them and then rebooting everything to see if you get lucky.  There are also old posts related to each firmware upgrade if you want to try scanning through them.  That's the best that I have to offer.  Good luck

agardk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 07:25:19 AM »

Not irritating at all. Just mentioned it to clear things up.

As for the firmware, yeah, I updated it to 2.03 yesterday. No change. It had no effect on this issue.

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 11:45:35 AM »

More thoughts, I assume the UPNP is enabled on the 320, so my next thought is something to do with the Master Browser on your network.  I do not know a lot about this service except that when it isn't working or isn't working right, stuff just won't show on the local network.  You have a bunch of stuff on your network so, I assume you are running several things out of a switch too.  Just as a hoot, you might try connecting the 320 directly to your router or vice versa. 
I am totally guessing of course, I also add in a series of cusses and expletives at various points in this kind of situation...it helps keep me from smashing things.  Good luck again. 

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »

I don't know if this will be of any help as I assume it was thought of when you set up your network.

Last week I had cause to install a copy of win7 pro in a VM for one of our clients.  With win7 up and running I could not find any of the NAS or printers that were visible in Windows Explorer Network that were visible in the XP VM this win7 was to replace.

After a bit of thought and analysis I discovered that win7 pro defaults to using 'Homegroup' rather than 'Workgroup'.  When I changed this name in Control Panel -> System and rebooted everything reappeared as it had in the XP VM.