• August 07, 2020, 11:41:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Buggy firmware or defective router?  (Read 7423 times)

legalalien

• Level 1 Member
Buggy firmware or defective router?
« on: July 16, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »

I was very excited to get my new router a few days ago.  It seemed to have most of the features I need on the road, and I had read fairly decent reviews. I tried the router with my home Wi-Fi network, and it seemed to work alright.

Things went downhill quickly when I actually took it on the road.  Connecting to Gogo inflight Wi-Fi was easy, but the router would not stay connected: WAN connection would reset, the router would occasionally reboot, then finally the interface stopped responding completely and the power/connection LED turned red.  I could still use the Internet for a short while UI was unresponsive.

At the hotel the situation was very similar. The Internet connection would stay up, but after 15 - 20 minutes the LED would turn red and I would not be able to bring up the management page (192.168.x.1).

The battery meter would go from full to 80% to 40% in 30 minutes...but if I plugged the router in, the meter would jump back to 80% immediately.

So, what's everyone's experience: is the router working well for you on the road (I don't really care how good things are at home, and it's a travel router) and  I have a defective unit, or do you find firmware buggy and connections to hotel and airport hotspots unreliable?

FWIW, H/W revision is A1 and F/W is 1.03.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Buggy firmware or defective router?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:06:51 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

Did this router come loaded with v1.03? Or did you update to it?

"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

legalalien

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

Did this router come loaded with v1.03? Or did you update to it?

I'm in the US, and the router came with 1.02.  After I ran into issues I upgraded to 1.03 hoping that the new f/w would resolve some or all of them.  There was no noticeable change in router performance.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 07:59:04 AM »

Did you happen to follow this for upgrading FW?
FW Update Process
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

legalalien

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »

Did you happen to follow this for upgrading FW?
FW Update Process

Ok, I did factory reset and restored configuration.  We'll see how the router performs after that.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:06:25 AM »

I also would try a factory reset and not reload the saved configuration file.

Keep us posted.  ;)

holmes4

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 05:59:30 PM »

I have had a similar experience - at some hotels. The LED turns red and I can't connect to the administrative page. But the router appears to continue to work. At other hotels, it's fine. I have seen the red LED problem at two Hampton Inns - I don't know if there's a connection there.

While the D-Link support site shows 1.03 as the latest firmware, the router's own update page shows a 1.04 and downloaded it. I have no idea where it gets it from since the FTP site only shows a 1.03. I can't find any info or release notes on the 1.04 version.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 06:18:47 PM »

I'll ask around to see if I can get some info on v1.04.  ???
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:47:21 AM by FurryNutz »

mike.sala

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 06:34:43 AM »

I have had this issue as well. I would just have to reset the router - like all the time. It also meant that the router would have to reload its DLNA server every single time.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 07:03:06 AM »

What FW is currently loaded?
There is more recent FW available for the 510L...http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=62661.0
Not sure if this will help or not. I only see new dongle support items added since v1.03. v1.04 is the same.

I have had this issue as well. I would just have to reset the router - like all the time. It also meant that the router would have to reload its DLNA server every single time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:36:58 AM by FurryNutz »