• April 27, 2024, 04:51:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 DNS Name resolution issues  (Read 12430 times)

Emerly

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 DNS Name resolution issues
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »

I have a DIR-655, Hardware Version: B1, Firmware Version: 2.10NA, serial # F35F5D2001798.
It is directly connected to my Motorola 3360 DSL modem, which is connected to AT&T's DSL service.

I was previously using a Cisco Valet in place of the DIR-655, with no DNS name resolution issues. With the DIR-655 now, we have frequent DNS name resolution issues that result in pages not opening at all, or pages opening but not displaying all/any photos. The situation hasn't changed despite making the following configuration changes:

1 - Setup > Internet > Manual Internet Connection Setup:
- Enable Advanced DNS Service UNchecked
- Primary DNS Address: 8.8.8.8 (Google)
- Secondary DNS Address: 8.8.4.4 (Google)

2 - Setup > Internet > Manual Internet Connection Setup:
- Enable Advanced DNS Service UNchecked
- Primary DNS Address: <blank> (using ISP DNS by default)
- Secondary DNS Address: <blank> (using ISP DNS by default)

3 - Setup > Internet > Manual Internet Connection Setup:
- Enable Advanced DNS Service CHECKED
- Primary DNS Address: <auto populated by checking Enable Advanced DNS>
- Secondary DNS Address: <auto populated by checking Enable Advanced DNS>

The current setup has scenario 3 in place, but the DNS issues remain regardless of which scenario is configured.

What else can I do to try and resolve the issue? Thanks for your help!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-655 DNS Name resolution issues
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.
    Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on Router
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router. Besure to log into the Admin account on the router.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn OFF DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Emerly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »

Thanks for the help!!

Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
>> I didn't perform a factory reset or any firmware updates. Since it was on the newest version, I left as is.

If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.

>> I did already configure the modem for bridged mode, as per AT&T instructions. PPPoE is configured on the D-Link with the correct username and password.
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
>> I did already knock it down to 1492, but will confirm with AT&T if it should be any lower.
For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.
>> I do have this configured as well.

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router. Besure to log into the Admin account on the router.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.

>> I did have this UNchecked in scenarios 1 & 2 I listed, and will UNcheck it again.

Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
>> I actually don't see this as an option to configure, in Setup>Internet>Manual!

Turn OFF DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.
>> I had DNS Relay ON, so I just UNchecked it.

Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
>> Will do this as well, although we don't rely on mapped drives and we only have a handful of devices.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »

For future reference on FW updates:
FW Update Process

Keep us posted on how it goes and hope some of the suggestions help out.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ChaosPinhead

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:40:05 AM »

I am having this same freaking problem and it is causing me to rip what little hair I have out.  This dang router worked great out of the box for 5 months then one day for no stinkin reason, without anything at all changing on my network I started receiving "Page cannot be displayed" on random websites.  Images in emails are red x's.  Some website images won't load.  I checked EVERYTHING on my PC.  Nothing would fix it.  I lived with it for 2 weeks, even called my Cable company (Time Warner) who had a tech walk me through an hours worth of tests with no luck at all.  Finally as a last resort I factory reset my Dlink.  Magically EVERYTHING started working.  I was ecstatic.  But within a week the same problem was happening again.  This router is defective.  I reset it again.  And now it is once again happening.  Random websites (and the router seems to choose them) just no longer work at all!

Dlink Dir-655
B1, Rev 2.10NA
I have factory reset 3 times!
Modem is in Bridge mode

Factory reset helps for awhile but it always comes back.  I bought a new laptop yesterday and had a **** of a time getting anything to work.  It has windows 8 on it.  It wouldn't update, apps won't update, can't connect to app store, nothing.  Browsing works fine.  I almost started to blame the brand new laptop then i thought its that fecking router again!  Sure enough I bring my laptop to work today and EVERYTHING works just fine here!

Why is this happening?  I have found several posts on this forum with this router and this firmware having DNS issues and no "confirmed" resolution.  Should I upgrade to firmware 2.11NA?  Will it make a difference?  Should I RMA it?

I have remote management turned on so I have made the changes stated above and will try my laptop on the network again tonight.  But at this point I am not holding much hope!

Use Unicasting - Checked
Enable Advanced DNS - Unchecked
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 06:45:44 AM by ChaosPinhead »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 06:44:42 AM »

• Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn OFF DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.

Ensure you flush the DNS cache on the PCs that are effected after making any DNS changes on the router.. ipconfig /flushdns

You can upgrade to v2.11. I just had mine online for a week as is still working well.

If you do update, please follow the  FW Update Process

I am having this same freaking problem and it is causing me to rip what little hair I have out.  This dang router worked great out of the box for 5 months then one day for no stinkin reason, without anything at all changing on my network I started receiving "Page cannot be displayed" on random websites.  Images in emails are red x's.  Some website images won't load.  I checked EVERYTHING on my PC.  Nothing would fix it.  I lived with it for 2 weeks, even called my Cable company (Time Warner) who had a tech walk me through an hours worth of tests with no luck at all.  Finally as a last resort I factory reset my Dlink.  Magically EVERYTHING started working.  I was ecstatic.  But within a week the same problem was happening again.  This router is defective.  I reset it again.  And now it is once again happening.  Random websites (and the router seems to choose them) just no longer work at all!

Dlink Dir-655
B1, Rev 2.10NA
I have factory reset 3 times!
Modem is in Bridge mode

Factory reset helps for awhile but it always comes back.  I bought a new laptop yesterday and had a **** of a time getting anything to work.  It has windows 8 on it.  It wouldn't update, apps won't update, can't connect to app store, nothing.  Browsing works fine.  I almost started to blame the brand new laptop then i thought its that fecking router again!  Sure enough I bring my laptop to work today and EVERYTHING works just fine here!

Why is this happening?  I have found several posts on this forum with this router and this firmware having DNS issues and no "confirmed" resolution.  Should I upgrade to firmware 2.11NA?  Will it make a difference?  Should I RMA it?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 06:46:25 AM »

Any status on this?  ???

Thanks for the help!!

Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
>> I didn't perform a factory reset or any firmware updates. Since it was on the newest version, I left as is.

If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.

>> I did already configure the modem for bridged mode, as per AT&T instructions. PPPoE is configured on the D-Link with the correct username and password.
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
>> I did already knock it down to 1492, but will confirm with AT&T if it should be any lower.
For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.
>> I do have this configured as well.

Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.

>> I did have this UNchecked in scenarios 1 & 2 I listed, and will UNcheck it again.

Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
>> I actually don't see this as an option to configure, in Setup>Internet>Manual!

Turn OFF DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.
>> I had DNS Relay ON, so I just UNchecked it.

Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
>> Will do this as well, although we don't rely on mapped drives and we only have a handful of devices.

ChaosPinhead

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 06:47:47 AM »

I will update to 2.11 tonight and retest.  I have flushed my DNS more times than my toilet in the past month (not really but you get the idea...)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 07:47:39 AM »

LOL how funny.

Ok, follow the FW update sticky and set up some manual DNS as well. I perfer manual DNS on the router vs DNS relay.

Keep us posted...

I will update to 2.11 tonight and retest.  I have flushed my DNS more times than my toilet in the past month (not really but you get the idea...)