Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How to connect dir-855 to router as bridge  (Read 24794 times)
satelite
Level 1 Member

« on: May 13, 2009, 12:20:42 AM »

Hi folks... i started to think to buy dir-855 to replace my old one access point.
At this moment i use my linux firewall so it handles nat, dhcp, dns etc. so how i can switch my dir-855 to bridge.

I want my dir-855 to this:
Static ip address to configuration page:192.168.0.1
nat, dhcp, upnp etc. to switched off... so like i want my dir-855 act like bridge between my linux firewall and wlan laptop adding just one thing:encryption to wlan.

I readed the manual on internet and it says to plug my firewall wire to lan port and switch off upnp and dhcp... just one thing knocks my mind... does dhcp turn off switch off my port configurations too... (like nat) i want to setup my dir-855 just like bridge... my linux firewall handles my nat etc. so how i do this? Undecided

Thanks

Satelite Cheesy
lizzi555
Level 5 Member

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:46:14 AM »

If you turn off DHCP and UPNP and connect the DIR only via LAN ports, it will act as AP only and pass through the data to your firewall if all are in the same subnet.
NAT works only the LAN -> WAN way through the DIR.

It will work for your purpose.
jhardis
Level 1 Member

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »

It will work for your purpose.

Yes and no.

Yes, bridging to WiFi works.  However, the router can't find either an NTP time server or an SMTP server to post e-mail.  I interpret this as these processes being on the WAN (rather than LAN) side of the box.

What we really need is "bridge mode" brought back!  But failing that, do you have any other ideas?
lizzi555
Level 5 Member

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:14:33 AM »

Open the Setup/Network Settings page with IE and change View -> Style to No Style
(Nearly same with FF)
Now you can see the checkbox for WAN Port Mode.
Switch it to "Bridge Mode" , assign IP, Gateway and DNS according to your networks.
Connect the DIR with its WAN Port to your LAN.
Save Settings  Wink

Some settings are limited but time and email work fine. Don't use QoS in this mode.
I use one DIR-655 in this mode and it works fine as AP with 4 LAN ports.
jhardis
Level 1 Member

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:06:14 PM »

That's a great tidbit!

Unfortunately, NTP time and e-mail don't work with the latest firmware -- on either the DIR-655 or DIR-855.

More details:  I had been running a DIR-655 in this mode using 1.10 firmware.  Even though "bridge mode" wasn't visible on the configuration pages, I found that by uploading an older configuration file, it would do bridge mode just fine.

My problem started when Verizon started blocking all port 25 traffic, and I needed to start using port 587 for e-mail.  For that I needed later firmware, and 1.33NA killed off both time and e-mail.  I spent hours trying different permutations, and nothing worked.

The online user manual for the DIR-855, unlike the DIR-655, had a section on "Connect to Another Router," so I mistakenly thought that it would work better for this purpose.  I bought one, but was surprised and disappointed that the firmware for these two products were actually similar.

As it stands, neither NTP time nor e-mail work with either the DIR-655 (1.33NA) or the DIR-855 (1.22NA) in bridge mode.  I'm hoping for a fix future versions.

Thanks.
Magnetron1
Level 2 Member

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 03:09:11 AM »

As it stands, neither NTP time nor e-mail work with either the DIR-655 (1.33NA) or the DIR-855 (1.22NA) in bridge mode.  I'm hoping for a fix future versions.

When you updated the firmwares in both DIR's, did you perform a HARD RESET to FACTORY DEFAULTS and MANUALLY enter the configuration info?  (DON'T use config files from prior firmwares !)  I recently had to re-learn this lesson after updating my DAP-1522 Bridge firmware and the NTP failed to work...

To set your routers to Bridge Mode when using the Firefox browser perform the following steps:
       a.) On the router's web page select Setup => Network Settings
       b.) On the Firefox menu bar select View => Page Style => No Style
       c.) On the router's web page find the "WAN Port Mode" field and select the "Bridge Mode" button
       d.) Perform a Save
       e.) At this point you can put Firefox back to normal viewing mode by selecting View => Page Style => Basic       Page Style
       f.) Make any necessary changes for your environment, save and reboot the router.

Hope this helps,
   Magnetron1
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:22:10 AM by Magnetron1 » Logged
jhardis
Level 1 Member

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:42 AM »

When you updated the firmwares in both DIR's, did you perform a HARD RESET to FACTORY DEFAULTS and MANUALLY enter the configuration info?

Yes.

I tried all combinations I could think of, including both starting from factory defaults and starting from old config files.  In the case of the DIR-855, there were no old config files (those were from a DIR-655), and I tried numerous times restarting from factory defaults.

The fact remains that NTP and SMTP client services don't work in bridge mode.

Magnetron1
Level 2 Member

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:21:31 AM »

I tried all combinations I could think of, including both starting from factory defaults and starting from old config files.  In the case of the DIR-855, there were no old config files (those were from a DIR-655), and I tried numerous times restarting from factory defaults.

Could you publish the info from the Status=>Device Info web page from the DIR-855 that is configured as a Bridge? What device are you using as a Router and what is it's LAN-side IP address? Is the Router assigning IP addresses via DHCP to the downstream devices? We are looking for duplicate IP addresses , possible circular references, mismatched subnet addresses, and possible missing or invalid Default Gateway addresses.

Magnetron1
jhardis
Level 1 Member

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:13:44 AM »

Could you publish the info from the Status=>Device Info web page from the DIR-855 that is configured as a Bridge? What device are you using as a Router and what is it's LAN-side IP address? Is the Router assigning IP addresses via DHCP to the downstream devices? We are looking for duplicate IP addresses , possible circular references, mismatched subnet addresses, and possible missing or invalid Default Gateway addresses.

The router is a DIR-655, and its LAN-side IP address is the default, 192.168.0.1.

The DIR-655 is acting as a DHCP server, from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199.  There are fixed-IP hosts below 192.168.0.100, and of course a fixed IP host (the DIR-855) at 192.168.0.254.

There are no duplicate IP addresses, circular references, mismatched subnet addresses, or missing or invalid Default Gateway addresses.  This configuration worked fine with earlier versions of software on the bridge device (then, another DIR-655).  The DIR-855 works fine as a wired/wireless bridge, and communicates just fine with other hosts on the LAN from both (either) the WAN and LAN ports.

Magnetron1
Level 2 Member

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 01:05:58 AM »

This is probably a redundant question, but I have to ask it anyway --- Is DNS Relay enabled in the DIR-655 Router ?  If it is disabled then we have a disagreement between the Router and the Bridge.

Out of curiosity, what time server are you using in the DIR-855 Bridge ? You are not limited to the choices offered in the drop down menu. Also you can specify the time server by it's hostname or IP address. Try entering 192.43.244.18 for time.nist.gov or 129.6.15.28 for time-a.nist.gov (which we use here in the Mid-Atlantic states). If entering the IP address fixes the time problem then it would appear that the Bridge is having trouble getting hostnames resolved to IP addresses.

(I apologize if you have done all of the above but it might help others.)

Magnetron1
jhardis
Level 1 Member

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »

Magnetron1,

Before we go much further, I have to ask ... with whom am I having this discussion?

I note that you're a "Level 1 Member" with only 20 total posts.  So, may I deduce that you're either another D-Link customer trying to be helpful, or a relatively new D-Link staffer?

If the former, I thank you very much for your willingness to help.  If the latter, I think the time has come to bump this up to Tier II or Tier III support.  I would hope that the next message begins with either "we have been able to reproduce your problem and we're working on fixing it," or (less likely) "we have tried to reproduce your problem and cannot."

This is probably a redundant question, but I have to ask it anyway --- Is DNS Relay enabled in the DIR-655 Router?  If it is disabled then we have a disagreement between the Router and the Bridge.

To your question:  No.  The DIR-655 (at 192.168.0.1) is being used to connect to a DSL provider using PPPoE.  I don't understand what you mean by "disagreement" between the Router (at 192.168.0.1) and the Bridge (at 192.168.0.254).

Out of curiosity, what time server are you using in the DIR-855 Bridge ? You are not limited to the choices offered in the drop down menu. Also you can specify the time server by it's hostname or IP address. Try entering 192.43.244.18 for time.nist.gov or 129.6.15.28 for time-a.nist.gov (which we use here in the Mid-Atlantic states).

I am intimately familiar with the NIST NTP time servers, and indeed I had the box configured to use "time-a.nist.gov", as the server.  It is topologically the closest to me of all the NIST NTP servers.  That said, time.nist.gov is rarely the best choice for anyone.  It is, by far, the most heavily used of all the NIST servers.  (Microsoft, in their wisdom, hard coded it into Windows XP.)  It is also not physically at NIST -- it is at NCAR for historical reasons.  My recommendation to people is to pick the closest server from the list at http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi, particularly one labeled "Recommended for new users."  There is no difference in accuracy between them.  They all connect back to the mother ship the same way, via the PSTN.

If entering the IP address fixes the time problem then it would appear that the Bridge is having trouble getting hostnames resolved to IP addresses.

During my earlier experimenting, I tried both DNS names and numerical IP addresses in the configuration fields.  However, out of an abundance of caution, I tried numerical IP addresses again -- followed by a reboot -- before posting this message.  Guess what?  Numerical IP addresses work!

So, it would appear that the issue is fundamentally one of resolving DNS names.  Let's review.  The Router (at 192.168.0.1) is set up to get the IP address of the upstream DNS server(s) using PPP.  "Enable DNS Relay" is checked, so that all local hosts (on the LAN) use 192.168.0.1 as their DNS server (albeit a proxy).  This obviously works for hosts that are computers -- both those configured with static addresses and those that use DHCP.

As I showed on the screen shot, the Bridge (at 192.168.0.254) is configured to use 192.168.0.1 as both the "Default Gateway" and "Primary DNS Server".  The Gateway (router) parameter clearly works as intended.  However, the name resolver within 192.168.0.254 (for its own internal purposes) is not operating properly.  (Devices on the wireless interface get 192.168.0.1 as the name server via DHCP from the DHCP server at 192.168.0.1.)

I repeat -- it used to work fine with domain names, not just numerical IP addresses.

I hope this additional information provides a clue to D-Link that will enable the problem to be fixed.  I don't consider using numerical addresses to be a fully satisfactory work-around, as the point of DNS names is to allow hosts to move, yet still be found.

Thanks again for your assistance and suggestion.
lizzi555
Level 5 Member

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 10:51:37 PM »

Quote from: jhardis
I hope this additional information provides a clue to D-Link that will enable the problem to be fixed.
Please remember the bridged function is not supported by D-Link. So don't expect bugfixes for this mode.

jhardis
Level 1 Member

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 07:01:16 AM »

Please remember the bridged function is not supported by D-Link. So don't expect bugfixes for this mode.

Yes, but... please report it anyway.  It might help shed light on other problems (e.g., thread "Loses DNS and crashes regularly with 1.22NA"), and it could only help sales and avoid product returns.
Boardy
Level 1 Member

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 05:39:41 AM »

When I found this thread I was so happy I could put my DIR-855 in bridge mode anyway, but it is only working half, so I wonder if someone can help me out.

My setup:

[modem] ------ [Linux server] ------ [DIR-855] ------ ...
               eth0: public IP       FW: 1.12EU
               eth1: 192.168.68.1

My Linux server takes care of everything (NAT, firewall, DHCP, NTP, SMTP...).

When putting the DIR-855 in bridge mode I use the following parameters:
Router IP Address:    192.168.68.10
Subnet Mask:          255.255.255.0
Device Name:          mord-sith
Default Gateway:      192.168.68.1
Primary DNS Server:   192.168.68.1
Secondary DNS Server: 0.0.0.0
Enable DNS Relay:     unchecked (and disabled)

After that (and connecting the server to the WAN port) the DIR-855 can finally start to use my server as NTP server (SMTP was allready working). Also WiFi keeps working fine. But the devices on the LAN ports do not get their IP addresses assigned via DHCP. If I manually assign an IP address, I can access them from my notebook, but the devices themselves cannot reach the gateway.

Is there something I forgot to configure? The "Router IP Address" should be the address I want to use to access the DIR-855, right? Or am I walking into one of the reasons bridge mode is not supported?

I would really like to use this mode, since it makes more sense and gives me one more LAN port...
FurryNutz
Poweruser
  ▲
▲ ▲

D-Link Global Forum Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »

DNS relay should be check as enabled I think.

Your 855 router setup looks good. I presume that since the router is in bridge mode, the DHCP server might be turned off. In this case you might have to static IP address the devices connected to it or it should be getting addressing from the Linux server.

Cable:50mb/3Mb>Motorola SB6180>DGL-5500>HP 24pt Gb Switch. 3x4500s,DGL-5500,DIR-857,835,827,868L,865L,826L,810L,685,657,3x655,645,601,DNS-345,DCS-933L and a Boxee.
Go Here>Router Troubleshooting
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by webtechnica.com.